Can Sensors be protected from Dust While Changing Lenses

Al Pha

Hi, I own an A6000 and an A7m2. I'm tired of opening beautiful shots only to find huge dirt marks on them! Yes, I can generally clean the images via software... However, I do a lot of event photography (celebrity red carpet, etc.) and it's time consuming and sometimes difficult (e.g., if the smudge is near an eye) and there's time pressure to upload images immediately after events.

Is it possible for ILC cameras to have a user-selectable sensor dust cover? When in a hurry one could bypass the dust cover while changing lenses but when time permits one could use it! I'm so fed up with having to clean images and clean the cameras' sensors that I'm seriously considering an RX1R2 or RX10m2!

.. ......... .... ...... ...... I'm so fed up with having to clean images

and clean the cameras' sensors that I'm seriously considering

an RX1R2 or RX10m2!

The RX-type is a fine idea, since you already own the

equivalent of it [no explanation here, think it thru ... ].

Use of a SpeedBooster and appropriate lenses will also

prevent dirt from reaching your sensor.

There's a new nonoptical adapter on the market from [iIRC]

Photodiox that has a variable ND filter in it. And I'd love to

see a version with a no-effect filter instead of the ND.

FF users can't use SpeedBoosters but maybe Metabones

can offer a similar item but with no-effect glass. Same idea.

Either way, your camera's interior remains protected when

the lens is removed.

With small cameras and lenses for APSC format, the simplest

solution is you mount two lenses, one on each body, and so

you never open up either one in the field. Complaints about

bulk and expense do not apply. You have a problem to solve.

With currently available hardware, the solution is to never

open up the camera. ONE camera and ONE lens will also work.

`

`

I know you are kidding... People that worry this much, need some help. The best you can do is buy a giottos rocket, preferably the large one and clean your sensor once in a while. Maybe wet clean the sensor if you really need to. I find any bright light helps me see dust on the sensor if I point it at the lens, that makes it easy to remove dust with the rocket.

Probability (and amount) of dust on sensor is proportional to the amount of time the sensor is exposed to air (with dust in it). Therefore learning to change lenses fast, within a few seconds, will make a significant impact. Another strategy is to remove a lens, quickly attach the Body Mount Cover, get the next lens ready and quickly remove the cap and attach the lens. It makes a difference.

So I guess thats a "user-selectable sensor dust cover".

Otherwise, use a sensor blower between changes. That also makes a difference.

I already own (and use) giottas rocket and a wet clean system with illuminated magnifier. However, I think it is technically possible for camera manufacturers to include sensor covers in ILC cameras to eliminate or at least minimize the need to clean sensors. It would be nice to hear from a Sony voice whether or not this is possible!

1/ sensor cover activates, lens is removed

2/ dust gets on sensor cover

3/ lens is attached, sensor cover retracts

4/ dust on sensor cover is now _inside_ the camera and ends up on the sensor (static attraction)

compare that to using the Mount Cap and a quick change

1/ lens is removed, Mount Cap is attached immediately

2/ dust gets on Mount Cap

3/ Mount Cap removed, lens attached immediately

4/ dust is on Mount Cap and _not_ inside the camera

QED

Hi, I own an A6000 and an A7m2. I'm tired of opening beautiful shots only to find huge dirt marks on them! Yes, I can generally clean the images via software... However, I do a lot of event photography (celebrity red carpet, etc.) and it's time consuming and sometimes difficult (e.g., if the smudge is near an eye) and there's time pressure to upload images immediately after events.

Is it possible for ILC cameras to have a user-selectable sensor dust cover? When in a hurry one could bypass the dust cover while changing lenses but when time permits one could use it! I'm so fed up with having to clean images and clean the cameras' sensors that I'm seriously considering an RX1R2 or RX10m2!

There are fixed lens-cameras out there.

I found no dust on my sensor in 7 months of use.  Actually pretty surprised...

1. Turn off camera (Most important step IMO)

2. Remove lens, put body cap on camera

3. Place lens cap on removed lens (Body Mount side)

4. Remove body cap and put other lens on camera body.

Dust is floating around everywhere and the more time the sensor is exposed the more dust finds it's new home on your sensor.  So simply do what you can to reduce that time.

For shooting is poor conditions, like near the sea when the breeze will cover your sensor with hundreds of tiny water droplets & salt specks, I've modified a Contax > Sony K&F adapter (you can probably do this with any other adapter, I just happen to have this particular one).

I fitted, with a tiny bit of silicone sealant, a hi-quality multicoated 49mm UV filter in the back of the adapter (after removing the metal part of the filter). This way when I change lenses (obviously going out with only one brand of legacy glass, Contax in my case) the sensor is protected and I can clean the UV filter, if needed, with a normal lens tissue without much fuss.

As an added bonus, even if some water droplet lands on the UV filter, it is so far away from the sensor that it doesn't show as a black spot in my pictures.

BTW, yes I've tested this solution (hollow "normal" adapter vs adapter with the UV glass) to see if the UV filter impacted the sharpness or induced flare, and it didn't.

I know you are kidding... People that worry this much, need some help. The best you can do is buy a giottos rocket, preferably the large one and clean your sensor once in a while. Maybe wet clean the sensor if you really need to. I find any bright light helps me see dust on the sensor if I point it at the lens, that makes it easy to remove dust with the rocket.

I thought this thread was a joke. The Rocket Blower is a great tool.

Like someone else said, only in harsh conditions, I think there might be a flaw in your steps. I never, ever, had any dust that shows on my picture besides fingerprints that were on the front lens.

What you need to do is :

- Get the lens you want to change

- If possible, let it stand verticaly, bottom cap in front of you

- gently turn the cap so it's almost gone, but let it stay in place.

- take your camera with the lens attached

- turn the camera, sensor looking at the ground in a neutral environment. Always put your body against the wind

- wait for a short period without wind if possible, or movement

- remove the lens attached, let it stand verticaly next to your other lens.

- remove the cap from the other lens, keep it in your finger, mount the lens to your camera, put the cap in the lens staying next to you.

- turn the cap to lock it.

I know some situations are not friendly for this steps, but I always do this since 2012 and I never had to clean any sensor. You have to be quick, but subtle. If you have light, you'll see that dust is everywhere. Any movements with too much strength will result in dust flying everywhere. Be quick, precise, and it will be ok.

In harsh conditions, if you have a bag, open it and use it to make the move. Don't forget to place your body against the wind.

• 2 years later...

I already own (and use) giottas rocket and a wet clean system with illuminated magnifier. However, I think it is technically possible for camera manufacturers to include sensor covers in ILC cameras to eliminate or at least minimize the need to clean sensors. It would be nice to hear from a Sony voice whether or not this is possible!

I believe there is one theoretical solution, but I do not see it available anywhere.  When I first bought my A7rII, I also bought an adapter for my existing A- mount lenses.  It had an unexpected benefit: I could change lenses all day without exposing the sensor to dust.

Although I'm sure many purists would prefer not to introduce one more piece of glass into the process, a camera designed with a simple, single glass "adapter" (or, really, "mount" or perhaps "mount adapter") could potentially resolve this sensor cleaning nuisance.  I'm not sure whether the camera would have to be designed specifically for that or whether such an adapter could be created for existing cameras without creating focal issues.  In any event, I have been searching online for such an adapter and have not been able to find any such thing.

........  When I first bought my A7rII, I also bought an adapter for my

existing A- mount lenses.  It had an unexpected benefit: I could

change lenses all day without exposing the sensor to dust. ........

Thaz my SOP. Not only the Sony LAEA4 adapter but Speed 

Boosters on the APSC bodies. The glass optics in a Speed 

Booster can be cleaned as casually as any lens, where the 

pellicle in the LAEA4 is more-or-less "do-not-touch". 

Gel filters have become absurdly expensive, but when I find 

a trove of them somewhere that includes a UV gel, I will add 

a gel to an empty tube type of adapter, just as a dust barrier. 

I'll cut it to an elongated shape so it installs at an angle, cuz 

parallel to sensor would promote reflections. 

Having enjoyed several pellicle SLRs, I have no negative 

attitude toward the extra layer in the image path. 

Like someone else said, only in harsh conditions, I think there might be a flaw in your steps. I never, ever, had any dust that shows on my picture besides fingerprints that were on the front lens.

What you need to do is :

- Get the lens you want to change

- If possible, let it stand verticaly, bottom cap in front of you

- gently turn the cap so it's almost gone, but let it stay in place.

- take your camera with the lens attached

- turn the camera, sensor looking at the ground in a neutral environment. Always put your body against the wind

- wait for a short period without wind if possible, or movement

- remove the lens attached, let it stand verticaly next to your other lens.

- remove the cap from the other lens, keep it in your finger, mount the lens to your camera, put the cap in the lens staying next to you.

- turn the cap to lock it.

I know some situations are not friendly for this steps, but I always do this since 2012 and I never had to clean any sensor. You have to be quick, but subtle. If you have light, you'll see that dust is everywhere. Any movements with too much strength will result in dust flying everywhere. Be quick, precise, and it will be ok.

In harsh conditions, if you have a bag, open it and use it to make the move. Don't forget to place your body against the wind.

Essentially what I do as well. Hasn't let me down yet. Aside from when I was in sand dunes on a windy day, that was the only time I've had anything get on the sensor. And it was one speck that was easily cleaned.

• 1 year later...

The problem is that the Zoom lenses extend and so pump air inside the camera...With a Prime lens, you do not have dust on the sensor. My idea is when you have a Sony then you need an adapter for other lenses (Nikon, Tamron, Canon...) stick a glass (coated) from an optician inside of this adapter... maybe the optician can make this also because they fit the glasses.