Using EVF and Flash

jamess

Hi there.

I'm sure others will have had this problem but I can't seem to find a solution on the site.

If I mount a manual flash and set a low ISO, the EVF doesn't 'gain up' to allow me to compose the shot.  I have to raise the ISO substantially to compose the shot and then drop it back down before I take the picture.  A certain recipe for 'missing the moment.'

Surely there must be a setting that allows the EVF to 'gain up' so you can see you subject, but uses your set ISO setting when the camera takes the picture.

It's such an obvious and significant glitch that I'm sure its just a setting on the camera I have not found.

What have I missed / not set?

Thanks in advance for your help.

James.

You know it is amazing with all the reviews that I have read or when I hear people talk about the EVF versus the OVF the people reviewing or talking typically do not know or realize you can turn the WYSIWYG display off in the camera thus kind of emulating what you see with a OVF. The OVF is still better at autofocusing in dimmer light I have found though.

However, with that said Berek is right you can turn off Settings Effect from the menu and on my A7II it is the second tab of the menu and then the 3rd item on that page. It is a toggle Settings Effects On/Off. So far I have not been able to map it to a custom button which kind of sucks as I change this setting a lot.  

I myself always shoot with manual flash and using manual camera settings as me and TTL are just not getting along well. It never seems to do what I want so I am manual all the way for indoor portraiture. I use Yongnou flashes and controller when I am going somewhere to take the portrait and I am a Light Meter kind of guy so that helps me set the lights quickly. At home in my “Portrait Room” I use Elinchrom D-Lite RX 2’s. The reason I tell you all this is because the next problem you will run into that I have run into with my A7II is focusing in low light with the camera set for flash settings. For example, I may setup for ISO 100, f/5.6 up to f/10 and 200th of a second shutter speed. Well using the Sony 70-200 f/4 in a room that typically has 1 60-watt bulb the focus is VERY slow and hunts a lot. Not a good thing when trying to take photos of my now 2-1/2 year old granddaughter as there is NO stand still in her ;-) My solution was to add light so I added a YN-300 III LED video light that is balanced at 5500K and is portable. I just mount it to a flash/light stand and it it has a remote control. Since I bought the Elinchrom’s I use the built in modeling lights and my focus issues are gone. I did not have this issue with the A850 body with the OVF though. Anyhow hope that helps else just ignore my rambling J

Thanks folks.

Now you've fixed the gain problem for me I'm sorted.

I prefer using manual flash because then I'm in control of what I'm doing rather than TTL.  I'm using cheap remote flash triggers linked to powerful 1980s strobes.  Cheap, reliable and effective.  Got to love the A7s for enabling you to use legacy kit.