Wireless triggers with studio strobes - Sony A7II

Hi there,

I got my Sony A7II a few weeks ago but only just got around to playing with it in studio. I had been using Yongnuo RF603C which don't work and after looking into the issue, I really don't want to have to modify and solder in new resistors.

After reading quite a few posts I bought the RF603II C3 which I have tested again today and still don't work. I tried the following after reading more online

Trigger on body set to TX

Receiver on strobe set to TRX 
(strobe will fire if key touched to trigger, and also tested this using Canon body-also fires)

Wiggled trigger to the right to try to anchor

Set the trigger back out of the hotshoe just before the last pins to see if it would hit a sweet spot

Has anyone got any other recommendations for things to try? Do I buy another set of RF603II? 

I don't use them for off camera flash firing - only for studio strobes so not fussed about TTL etc

Ideally I don't want to have to upgrade to Pocket Wizards but if these definitely work (will be renting a couple to double check they do) and there are no other options then...

Would appreciate any insight :)

What shutter speed? I have two sets of triggers same make different models both for canon. On my a7 the one model works fine up to and over the 1/250 shutter speed, but the other set will not even trigger the flash if the shutter speed is over 1/60, I have no idea why but try reducing you shutter speed and see what happens?

So you made me curious so I had to look at mine. I was using a Vello Freewave Fusion to trigger flashes but honestly the remotes were just too dang expensive! I bought a pair of Yongnuo RF-603C II (Canon compatible Model) and used them with an adapter to the Sony Minolta hot shoe. They worked great and when I started buying the Yongnuo YN560-III flashes it was an awesome bonus that the radio receivers were built directly into the flash. Then when they came out with the Yongnuo YN560-TX where not only could I trigger the flashes but also remotely control power I was a happy guy J All this I bought had the canon shoe mount.

Now since I bought the A7MII I have been using the YN560-TX directly on the camera without adapter and it worked great! My issue is that you have to make sure you shove it on deep enough. With that I pulled out the older RF-603C II and just tested them on the A7MII and they are working great! What flash are you using? I have tested with my Sony HVL-F58AM in manual mode and it triggers fine also. 

I'm not using flashes, I am using generic 400w studio strobes. 

What adaptor did you purchase for your Yongnuo RF-603C II?

Also tried my Flashwave III which has a single pin, but I think it doesn't work because of the generic strobes - it won't work on my Canon either.

So you made me curious so I had to look at mine. I was using a Vello Freewave Fusion to trigger flashes but honestly the remotes were just too dang expensive! I bought a pair of Yongnuo RF-603C II (Canon compatible Model) and used them with an adapter to the Sony Minolta hot shoe. They worked great and when I started buying the Yongnuo YN560-III flashes it was an awesome bonus that the radio receivers were built directly into the flash. Then when they came out with the Yongnuo YN560-TX where not only could I trigger the flashes but also remotely control power I was a happy guy J All this I bought had the canon shoe mount.

Now since I bought the A7MII I have been using the YN560-TX directly on the camera without adapter and it worked great! My issue is that you have to make sure you shove it on deep enough. With that I pulled out the older RF-603C II and just tested them on the A7MII and they are working great! What flash are you using? I have tested with my Sony HVL-F58AM in manual mode and it triggers fine also. 

I had it set at 1/160 - will give it a shot at the reduced shutter speed and see what happens.

I rented Pocket Wizards today and they work.

Just curious , did you try lower shutter speed and did that work?

I'm using yongnuo RF-600TX (for canon) on my a7ii and it work flawlessly to trigger my RF-602RX & RF-601 receiver, YN560-II/III flash and also my cheap studio strobes (Starlite SL A-250). Best sync speed at 1/125, curtain shadow slightly shown at 1/160.