Hello from Phase One (Capture One Pro and Express for Sony)

I think the Pro version has sessions, which allow you to save everything for a session within that folder. So moving the external drive between the two machine and opening the session from the drive should work. I have yet to update to Pro, so don't know for sure, but was researching the same questions. You could bring the folder to the local machine and work on it there, but then you couldn't work on separate machines and merge changes. But with sessions, you could modify one session on one machine, and a different session on another machine and then update each computer with the other session.

With the Express version for Sony, using the external drive as the backup for the catalog might also be the way to go. I don't recall a way to override where the single catalog is saved. This again won't work if you want to make changes on either computer and then be able to merge them - You'd have to make the backup each time and import on the other machine before making any changes there.

You can change catalog location, hold down ALT on startup.

Need Identical C1 Environments on Two Macs - How?

I'm trying to switch from Lightroom to an already licensed Capture One 8.3.3 running on my Mac under El Capitan.

I want to have the same environment regardless of whether I'm working on my Mac Pro or on my MacBook. That's been accomplished using Lightroom by keeping image files and configuration files on an external drive.

Seems that the C1 image catalog and also the C1 files installed by default in ~/Library/Application Support/Capture One/ would have to live on the external drive to give me what I need.

How do I get C1 to look to the external drive for the C1 /Application Support/Capture One/ files?

Is that the best way to achieve identical use on two computers? Am I missing anything?

Thanks in advance,

copy the Application support folder from the 'Master' Machine to the other machine.

Simon that's complete misinformation!

1000's of people use Capture One as an asset manager everyday.

"Simon that's complete misinformation!"

I appreciate your support in this forum as representative of the company. I was expressing my opinion as a professional photographer using C1 Pro and anybody is allowed to disagree.

"1000's of people use Capture One as an asset manager everyday."

That depends on your definition of DAM. I personally know dozens of photographers (many using C1) who hand a DVD to the customer at the end of the shoot and that is it. They do not need a filing system any more sophisticated than Windows Explorer or Mac Finder. On that score, C1 still has a long way to go to catch up with other solutions on the market (In My Opinion).

C1 is a great editor IMO, but anybody also allowed to disagree with that too.

However, it still trashes meta data and that is unnecessary IMO. This was discussed earlier in this multi topic thread, but has still not been answered or AFAIK solved. I sincerely hope that this will be addressed because it already adds to my workload and will continue to have consequences in the future.

I do like C1 for its strengths, but it would be incorrect to claim that it is perfect. It also depends how you want to use it.

"Simon that's complete misinformation!"

I appreciate your support in this forum as representative of the company. I was expressing my opinion as a professional photography using C1 Pro and anybody is allowed to disagree.

"1000's of people use Capture One as an asset manager everyday."

That depends on your definition of DAM. I personally know dozens of photographers (many using C1) who hand a DVD to the customer at the end of the shoot and that is it. They do not need a filing system any more sophisticated than Windows Explorer or Mac Finder. On that score, C1 still has a long way to go to catch up with other solutions on the market (In My Opinion).

C1 is a great editor IMO, but anybody also allowed to disagree with that too.

However, it still trashes meta data and that is unnecessary IMO. This was discussed earlier in this multi topic thread, but has still not been answered or AFAIK solved. I sincerely hope that this will be addressed because it already adds to my workload and will continue to have consequences in the future.

I do like C1 for its strengths, but it would be incorrect to claim that it is perfect. It also depends how you want to use it.

Thanks Simon.  But your statement implied that Capture One cannot work as an Asset Manager is incorrect.  You might not like some features, and that of course is fine.  ;)

I agree that any software can be improved and we continue to do so.  However we never normally comment on future developments as these can change rapidly depending on customer and market needs.  

With regards to handing off a DVD to a customer at the end of the day, it couldn't be even more simple with a Capture One session.  If thats how you want to work then that is a super simple workflow.

And I 100% agree with your last statement.

copy the Application support folder from the 'Master' Machine to the other machine.

David,

But that's just what I want to avoid. If I make a change on one Mac I want that change available on the other Mac via the portable external drive so that I don't have to remember, and spend time, copying the "Application Support" hierarchy between Macs.

P.S. Will you be at the booth at PhotoExpo + in NYC today through Saturday?

David,

But that's just what I want to avoid. If I make a change on one Mac I want that change available on the other Mac via the portable external drive so that I don't have to remember, and spend time, copying the "Application Support" hierarchy between Macs.

Ah I see. Hmmm well.. I can't think of a way you could do that.  As Application data is local to the machine, not to a Catalog / Session.

Sadly not this year!  I was just in LA and really had to get back!

D

David,

I still suggest you to create a backup everytime you close C1 on the first Mac. C1 asks you anyway everytime you close.

Save the backup on the external drive.

"Restore" the latest state on the second Mac by doubleclicking the backup catalogdb.

As long as you have similar workspaces on both Macs, you should not see a difference.

For me it works very good - my data base however isn't that big until now...

Could imagine, that someday this workflow doesn't work good anymore if the db becomes larger.

Good day to you all

I still suggest you to create a backup everytime you close C1 on the first Mac. C1 asks you anyway everytime you close.

Save the backup on the external drive.

"Restore" the latest state on the second Mac by doubleclicking the backup catalogdb.

As long as you have similar workspaces on both Macs, you should not see a difference.

For me it works very good - my data base however isn't that big until now...

Could imagine, that someday this workflow doesn't work good anymore if the db becomes larger.

Good day to you all

Sure that will work for database elements but not for what Weinhous wants to do which is to mimic workspaces / styles etc.

Sure that will work for database elements but not for what Weinhous wants to do which is to mimic workspaces / styles etc.

Dave,

I raised my same question over at http://forum.phaseone.com/En/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=21019&sid=3894626584aa8384e9499536beddffc5 and as a result will soon experiment with symbolic links (aka "aliases" on Macs).

Would be of tremendous help if you could provide a list of what files are installed where on Macs by a default C1 installation. I'd then have a better chance of getting my aliases set up correctly.

Thanks,

Marty

@David,

The firmware 2.0 for the A7R M2 is now available and I have it installed without problems. However, C1 version 8.3.3 cannot decode/show the uncompressed lossless ARW files.

When will this be available? You guys are normally so very fast... ;)

Hey Claus,

8.3.4 is now live and available to download at www.phaseone.com/downloads 

OS support

Mac OS X 10.11

Camera support

File support: Sony ILCE-7RM2 (a7R II) uncompressed support
File and tethering support: Sony ILCE-7SM2 (a7S II) including uncompressed
File support: Sony DSC-RX1RM2 (prelim) including uncompressed support
Panasonic GX8 (revised)
EOS M3 (revised)
Leica Q (revised)
Pentax K3 II (revised)*

*Pixel shift mode not supported

Bug fixes

(Win) Fixed: Sync issue with Capture Pilot Geo tags and XMP
(Win) Fixed: Issue moving images with local adjustments

(Mac) OpenCL crash with Nvidia cards on OSX 10.11
Installers

SimonT, on 22 Oct 2015 - 10:19 AM, said:snapback.png

That depends on your definition of DAM. I personally know dozens of photographers (many using C1) who hand a DVD to the customer at the end of the shoot and that is it. They do not need a filing system any more sophisticated than Windows Explorer or Mac Finder. On that score, C1 still has a long way to go to catch up with other solutions on the market (In My Opinion).

C1 is a great editor IMO, but 

I agree that any software can be improved and we continue to do so.  However we never normally comment on future developments as these can change rapidly depending on customer and market needs.  

With regards to handing off a DVD to a customer at the end of the day, it couldn't be even more simple with a Capture One session.  If thats how you want to work then that is a super simple workflow.

---

David,

Thanks, although I intended my comment to be interpreted differently.

I presume that the other photographers to whom I was referring represent the majority of C1 users, but I do not know. For their type of workflow, then yes, the filing functions in C1 are adequate.  

However my workflow is different as I am sometimes traveling for weeks or months on end. That is where a more sophisticated data management system is required. The meta data being absolutely critical when building library functionality into the database I am constructing. What is more, once these images leave my sphere, I have no control over how others might use them and with which software and tools. It is therefore important to ensure a very high level of meta data integrity to ensure interoperability.

Your comment that you cannot speak about future plans lends hope that meta data integrity is an issue which has been identified and is being addressed. We should not allow the ExifVersion tag or the MakerNote tag to be altered. These are keys upon which other programs which use the images so beautifully edited in C1 absolutely depend.

Regards

Simon

• 2 months later...

Hi David,

Are you guys going to update capture one Pro for the new Sony uncompressed file format?

My current version 8.3.3.23 will not open these files (see the attached) and when I check for updates the only update available is upgrading to version 9. The problem here is that it requires El Capitan. Currently El Capitan is not working well with Photoshop. I would hope there's an update that does not require upgrading the OS.

Thank you

Dennis

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I just downloaded Capture One Express for Sony; I'm currently using Aperture but that software is being discontinued by Apple so I am looking for an alternative, the trial period will hopefully give me enough time to figure out if this would be a good replacement for my current tool of choice.

I've played around with some of the tools already and I am impressed with how much difference can be made to a standard RAW file with just a few clicks. Now I know why professionals prefer that format over JPG.

I'm not sure I will ever need a PRO version (just a hapless amateur), as long as the tool allows me to do what I can do with Aperture then I'll be happy with the Express version.

Hi David,

Are you guys going to update capture one Pro for the new Sony uncompressed file format?

My current version 8.3.3.23 will not open these files (see the attached) and when I check for updates the only update available is upgrading to version 9. The problem here is that it requires El Capitan. Currently El Capitan is not working well with Photoshop. I would hope there's an update that does not require upgrading the OS.

Thank you

Dennis

Hi Dennis,

Go get 8.3.4 from the archives...

https://www.phaseone.com/en/Download/Software-Archive/COArchiveMac.aspx

David

• 5 months later...

I just installed C1 for sony because I bought the RX10M3 and PS have no cameraprofiel and for DXO it is coming over 3 month.  On screen it looks very good but I can only export originals.  With variants I got the message  "error output processing file"

What can be the problem

• 1 year later...

Hi David,

I have Capture One Express for Sony and I'm a bit confused about the catalog location. With Lightroom I keep the catalog(s) on an external drive and make a new one for each event I shoot. With Capture One Express for Sony it appears I can only have one catalog and it has to be on my main Mac drive. Is that correct? I hope not as don't have a great deal of free space on my main drive. 

Many thanks

Jeff

• 3 weeks later...

Hello David

Could you tell me if Capture One will do monochrome conversions for other cameras other than the Phase One mono back? I have a copy as a trial, and can't find the

feature anywhere in the settings. I have a monochrome converted a7R-II and find that LR does not do it justice--it "thinks" that it is a color image. 

Thanks, Daniel

www.monochromeimaging.com

Hello all, 

I have an A7R-II. Since my Windows 7 is 32 bits and it is going to take a while until I upgrade it to a 64 bits version, I decided install a free trial of 6.4.5 C1 32 bits (the latest version of C1 which runs over a 32 bits platform). The problem is: I can’t open .arw or even .dng files on this version of C1. Does anybody know how to handle this issue?

With a lot of pictures to edit I really need to solve this as soon as possible, preferably without spending extra money (right now) upgrading my desktop.

Many thanks and regards,

Wellington

I am a newbie to Capture One Express for Sony and I am trying to get onboard the Color Editor. I have twice stumbled on the page shown in the attached file. It is a very simplistic interface that has hue and saturation only. No smoothness or lightness. The problem is that I don't know how to get there again. I have no problem getting to the standard color editor, but I sometime prefer this simplified interface. Please tell me how to get there.

Ira Gilbert

Hi Ira,

click anywhere in the highlighted bottom row for the desired layout. Click in any other row of the color table to switch back to the full layout.