Hello from Phase One (Capture One Pro and Express for Sony)

Is any software available that will easily move a Lightroom catalog into an equivalently arranged catalog in C1? One of the things that's holding me back from switching is a fear of the work involved in moving my too many images. :-)

Actually, its 206 + 41 tax for a total of 247€, meanwhile Lightroom is costing 114€. I found that I could not edit raw files from non Sony cameras (Ricoh and Fuji) with the Sony edition - IIRC Sony did buy Minolta which might explain why the 5D works?

In any case, I have been using the evaluation version and thanks to your helpful tutorials I have a working solution to the biggest problem - organizing photos by Year and Month. Thank you!

My personal opinion is that Capture One is working a little better than Lightroom, and the Interface is much less cluttered. Not having the constantly annoying references to the Adobe Cloud is also welcome. If there were a non Pro version, sans tethering for instance, then probably I would already buy it ... but instead I'm just going to wait a little longer. I don't think I consider Lightroom anymore - Adobe software is generally a PITA.

Hi Timde,

There is a non-Pro version.  Its called Capture One Express (for Sony) and free.  ;)

David

Hi David,

again to the topic "Tethering".

I experience a big confusion, while looking for the right A7*-Camera to be able to photogaphe with tethering-functions and C1pro8.

Sony-support tells me, tethering is not working with A7 and A7r.

On the page of PhaseOne is written: For A7 and A7r: "tethering"; For A7II and A7s: "tethering with LiveView";

How can this be understood?

Some Sony cameras support Live View in addition to tethered capture.

Tethered Capture =  Captures the image directly to Capture One, bypassing the SD card.  Camera control of certain functions is possible

Live View = Basically seeing the 'Live Image' that would be on the LCD in Capture One itself.  Useful for composition, focussing and layout.

Hi David ,

Hope you can help me out here / or someone who knows the program well. I have used capture one express sony for both my macbook air and my new windows 8.1 custom pc. My macbook runs capture one well and it hasn't crashed yet, and its an old macbook air 13 inch 2011 version.

My pc on the other hand is >

intel i74790k

16gbram

240gb ssd, and an old 240 gb hd drive from my xbox

no videocard

windows 8.1

I notice when importing files from my a6000, like 500 raw images that it takes so slow to import , or maybe it's just how it is. When I open capture one again the program freezes, not sure what's causing the problem ?

Is there any way to reset capture one?

Do I need more memory card ?

I don't have a videocard yet, so maybe it could help ?

You must have some kind of video card (probably integrated on the motherboard) otherwise you wouldn't see a lot on your monitor.  ;)

We don't really have enough information to go on, or logs to diagnose, so I would make a support case at Phaseone.com!  We get back to you in 24 hours.

Hi, David,

Nice to see you here. I am another happy C1 camper. I was on LightRoom, and seriously disgusted with the way Adove went about trying to force Photoshop users to the rental-only version, and God help you if you stop paying every month, so I looked for an alternative. And, to my delight, not only do I no longer have anything to fear from Adobe, but C1 shocked me in how much better it is than LightRooom. I wrote 2 posts on my blog comparing the 2, and got lots of feedback.

Now, a new LightRoom is coming out, with the ability to handle multiple pictures for HDR and panoramas. That's great news, because it tells me that you aren't going to let them have that advantage for long, and that was my n°1 wish from C1.

Again, congrats and thanks on a job well done!

Thank You!

Some Sony cameras support Live View in addition to tethered capture.

Tethered Capture =  Captures the image directly to Capture One, bypassing the SD card.  Camera control of certain functions is possible

Live View = Basically seeing the 'Live Image' that would be on the LCD in Capture One itself.  Useful for composition, focussing and layout.

Hi David,

thank you for your explanation. But can you explain why A7 and A7r can not do the same tethering with liveview as A7II and A7s can do?

That has been mentioned before. If I recall correctly, it is a hardware limitation of the older A7 cameras.

Hi Austerror,

I am sure you will be able to explain, what kind of "hardware limitation" this should be. I would agree, if you tell, that there is no USB in the A7 or A7r, but I am pretty sure there is.

I would like to wait for a competent answer of David from PhaseOne.

Hi David,

thank you for your explanation. But can you explain why A7 and A7r can not do the same tethering with liveview as A7II and A7s can do?

Unfortunately I cannot tell you why.  You will have to direct that to Sony.

Basically, wether we can or cannot display the Live View stream is dependant on the Sony camera model.  Some will stream Live View over the USB connection, some will not.

Currently the A7r and A7 do not stream Live View over USB

The A7II and the A7s do.

We cannot change that specification via Capture One, it is dependant on the camera firmware.

However, ALL the A7 models can capture tethered to Capture One.

It would be something to do with the capability of the hardware.

The A7s was released after the A7 and A7r, which gave Sony time to make some improvements.  One of those improvements would be an upgrade of a chip or an additional chip that provide the live view over USB function.

My guess is that it has something to do with bandwidth.  To be able to have the camera send a live feed over the USB port you need hardware to send the video.  Video over HDMI is easier as HDMI is designed for video.  USB is not, so the hardware needs to do some extra work to get the video out the USB.

Sony just upgraded the hardware and software so that it is capable of doing that.

As an example, a PC or equivalent is not capable of sending a video signal over USB without additional hardware. Generally speaking, that is what HDMI, DVI or DP is for.  One can buy a USB to DVI adapter, which has a bit of hardware in it and a software component.

Thus, if the camera does not have this hardware, it can't do it.

Sony *may* be able to update the software (firmware) in the camera to provide this capability, but they have not done it yet, which suggests it is not easy.  Typically if you are already at the limit of the hardware, then to add an additional feature, another feature must be removed.  As an example, to get video out the USB might mean limited refresh rate or an output quality that is not acceptable.

Just wanted to pipe in, I'm a long term Aperture user who recently made the switch to C1. I still use Aperture to catalogue my old files as I find the DAM capabilities more intuitive and complete but I'm using C1 on all my photos moving forward. The difference in default IQ is shocking—even comparing it to Lightroom CC which seems to be optimized only for Canon cameras.

Thanks C1 for releasing an affordable Sony version and offering such great free tutorials. As I said I think there are still DAM improvements that can be made but you really help reduce the learning curve.

Hi David,

I'm currently evaluating CaptureOne Pro 8 for Sony. I'm in my free trial and considering a purchase.

As many others, coming from LR5 I appreciated the much nicer look of the files right after import. I encountered a few issues though. 

For example, even though this is a version specifically designed for Sony cameras, I couldn't find the lens correction profiles for FE lenses.

Considering Sony's reliance on software corrections, this is kind of a deal-breaker. 

Second, I noticed that CaptureOne is quite a bit slower than LR5 in creating previews and showing the effects of slider movements. 

This leaves me quite a bit on the fence. I do like CaptureOne's rendering better, but the overall editing experience has been at times frustrating.

When (if ever) can one expect to see these issues addressed?

Thanks.

Just wanted to pipe in, I'm a long term Aperture user who recently made the switch to C1. I still use Aperture to catalogue my old files as I find the DAM capabilities more intuitive and complete but I'm using C1 on all my photos moving forward. The difference in default IQ is shocking—even comparing it to Lightroom CC which seems to be optimized only for Canon cameras.

Thanks C1 for releasing an affordable Sony version and offering such great free tutorials. As I said I think there are still DAM improvements that can be made but you really help reduce the learning curve.

Thanks Story Teller!

Hi David,

I'm currently evaluating CaptureOne Pro 8 for Sony. I'm in my free trial and considering a purchase.

As many others, coming from LR5 I appreciated the much nicer look of the files right after import. I encountered a few issues though. 

For example, even though this is a version specifically designed for Sony cameras, I couldn't find the lens correction profiles for FE lenses.

Considering Sony's reliance on software corrections, this is kind of a deal-breaker. 

Second, I noticed that CaptureOne is quite a bit slower than LR5 in creating previews and showing the effects of slider movements. 

This leaves me quite a bit on the fence. I do like CaptureOne's rendering better, but the overall editing experience has been at times frustrating.

When (if ever) can one expect to see these issues addressed?

Thanks.

Lenses are supported from day one.  Sony write lens data in the RAW file which we can use for corrections.

Notice in the lens correction tool it says 'Manufacturer Profile'.  Your Sony lens is being corrected!

Its hard to comment on performance as I don't know your system.  A good graphics card will benefit as will an internal SSD.

David

You must have some kind of video card (probably integrated on the motherboard) otherwise you wouldn't see a lot on your monitor.   ;)

We don't really have enough information to go on, or logs to diagnose, so I would make a support case at Phaseone.com!  We get back to you in 24 hours.

I don't have an external videocard , just the integrated videocard chip from the intel 4790k. I also run a 23 inch asus 1080 p monitor. So you are probably right getting a videocard could solve the issue?

I will also use an SSD or what harddisk do you recommend I get ?

Another non app problem question in capture one. Do most people edit photos , in magazines or commercial stuff like enhance them to make them look better. I'm not talking of using brush tools in photoshop but more on capture one settings. For example

> saturation

> contrast

> highlight

> tweak the kelvin

or do most people try to edit the photo on how it was realistically visible during that time of the shoot ? or just make minor adjustments ? It's not that I don't know how to do post processing but more of a question that do I want my photos to look consistently or edit it according to what I want.

or do most people try to edit the photo on how it was realistically visible during that time of the shoot ? or just make minor adjustments ? It's not that I don't know how to do post processing but more of a question that do I want my photos to look consistently or edit it according to what I want.

Depending on what you take photos of ... using a White Balance card (grey card) is one of the best ways to get realistic shots and avoid PP. Personally, I find the Capture One built in "Styles" to be useful and apparently its possible to buy 3rd party "Styles" for various film simulations. That can be fun to use.

You can also stack the "Styles" which can make for an interesting and unique effect.

• 1 month later...

Hi David;

Am happy to see you on this forum. I listen to you almost daily on UTube and C1...

I just got the C1 Sony Pro as I refuse to go the Adobe route and need to find a long term replacement for Aperture, where I store 180,000 referenced shots in one Library. I have decided NOT to convert the whole Library yet, but have been exporting Albums into Catalogues (by first creating small Aperture Libraries so that I keep my filing system). So far, I was blown away at how good my old Minolta Konica D7 JPGs have converted into C1 (as a result I am re-working all of them !) and needless to say my A3100, A300, A900 and A99 RAW files are great. I was also happy to see that I could import my old slides (taken on Minolta since 1985) and that were scanned using a Nikon Coolscan 4000; I don't have all functionalities in this case, but the results are an improvement over Aperture.

BUT, what I really would like to see C1 do in a future release is work on the file management in order to meet par with Aperture; and if so I'll import all 180,000 shots (I also like the Map Aperture function as I travel the world and always choose my next destination as a function of the blank spaces on the map - I still have quite a bit of travel to do !). Also, I would love to have a Slide Show tool like in Aperture (with sound and music) as most of my work is presented using this tool. And finally, a tool to connect with Facebook, Twitter, Flickr and Blurb and other paper/book editors would be real nice to have.

Continue the good work, a lot of us Sony and Aperture lovers are counting on you !

Marc

David,

I have recently completed the switch from Canon to Sony.

I have C1 Pro for Sony. Many of the new FE Sony and Zeiss lens profiles are not in 8.2.2. Do you have an estimated date for their availability?

Specifically; FE 35 F1.4, FE 28 F2, FE 28 F2 Fisheye Converter, Loxia 50 F2, FE 70-200 F4 G, FE 55 F1.8, FE 16-35 F4, FE 24-70 F4, Oh and the RX100M3

Thanks,

John

Hi David;

Am happy to see you on this forum. I listen to you almost daily on UTube and C1...

I just got the C1 Sony Pro as I refuse to go the Adobe route and need to find a long term replacement for Aperture, where I store 180,000 referenced shots in one Library. I have decided NOT to convert the whole Library yet, but have been exporting Albums into Catalogues (by first creating small Aperture Libraries so that I keep my filing system). So far, I was blown away at how good my old Minolta Konica D7 JPGs have converted into C1 (as a result I am re-working all of them !) and needless to say my A3100, A300, A900 and A99 RAW files are great. I was also happy to see that I could import my old slides (taken on Minolta since 1985) and that were scanned using a Nikon Coolscan 4000; I don't have all functionalities in this case, but the results are an improvement over Aperture.

BUT, what I really would like to see C1 do in a future release is work on the file management in order to meet par with Aperture; and if so I'll import all 180,000 shots (I also like the Map Aperture function as I travel the world and always choose my next destination as a function of the blank spaces on the map - I still have quite a bit of travel to do !). Also, I would love to have a Slide Show tool like in Aperture (with sound and music) as most of my work is presented using this tool. And finally, a tool to connect with Facebook, Twitter, Flickr and Blurb and other paper/book editors would be real nice to have.

Continue the good work, a lot of us Sony and Aperture lovers are counting on you !

Marc

Thanks for your comments Marc!

David,

I have recently completed the switch from Canon to Sony.

I have C1 Pro for Sony. Many of the new FE Sony and Zeiss lens profiles are not in 8.2.2. Do you have an estimated date for their availability?

Specifically; FE 35 F1.4, FE 28 F2, FE 28 F2 Fisheye Converter, Loxia 50 F2, FE 70-200 F4 G, FE 55 F1.8, FE 16-35 F4, FE 24-70 F4, Oh and the RX100M3

Thanks,

John

They are all there John - choose "Manufacturer Profile' in the lens tool.  We use the data Sony provides in the RAW file.

Edit - Not the loxia yet.  ;)

David,

I have been traveling and just took a look for the first time since I posted this question. I see that when I pick Manufacturer Profile the distortion changes. Is there a place that tells which profile is automatically chosen? I see the meta data is correct.

Thanks

John

Hi David,

I am new here. I use the full version C1 and also Sony equipment :)   I was wondering whether the Sony version might help with the following problem which I have also seen reported in other forums.

I want to use C1 in combination with a Digital Asset Management DAM program called Photo Supreme, although I also have a license for Media Pro. I do not use C1 to change any of the meta data. However, the exif data on images exported from C1 is written in a different space and Photo Supreme cannot recognize it. Is this problem known and being addressed?  

Thanks

Simon

P.S. If you could post a small jpeg file exported from C1 Sony version then I can test it.