TERRIBLE Experience with Sony

I would not recommend Sony cameras to ANYONE. I never write reviews of things, but I am so disgusted by Sony that I felt motivated to warn other people. From beginning to end, I have had an egregious experience, both in terms of the camera itself and the customer care.

As a serious photographer, I wanted a mirrorless camera for everyday shooting. After saving up for a long time, I bought the sony alpha 7 camera, whose body and lens set me back $3,000. It was a big purchase, but I told myself I’d be getting years of use out of this “top quality camera.” When spring break came around and I had my first chance to use it, I couldn’t have been more excited. But as soon as I started using this brand new camera, I realized something was wrong—to start with, the camera didn’t focus properly; even photos that I did manage to focus manually and that I took in broad daylight on a fast shutterspeed would turn out blurred or hazy. Furthermore, the camera would turn off spontaneously even when fully charged, and wouldn’t stay in playback mode when I wanted to review the images.

Disappointed, I sent it in for repair.

The camera was “repaired” and the issues remained. I call Sony—they tell me to send it in for repair again (keep in mind this is after wasting tons of time on the hotline number). OK—I take time out of my day to get the camera to FedEx, pack it up properly, and ship it off. After a few weeks, the camera is returned after being “fully repaired.” As soon as I get it out of the packing box I try it out…problems still persist. I call Sony AGAIN, and explain that I have sent the camera in twice and would like to speak with someone about getting a new camera to replace this clearly defective one. I am told, after multiple phone calls with indifferent customer service reps, that “they are not in a position to give me a replacement camera.” I ask them to put me in touch with someone who IS in a position to do so. I also ask for an email address where I can send my photographs, so that Sony will see firsthand what problems I am experiencing with their camera.

I am told someone will get back to me within 24-48 hours. When they finally DO call back, I am in a meeting and miss the call by 5 minutes. Unfortunately, there is no call back number—they simply provide the main hotline number, where I had to go through the ENTIRE call process again, explain everything to a new customer service rep, only to be told that “someone will get back to me within 24-48 hours.” AGAIN. Finally, I get the call from someone who I believe will speak with me about getting a replacement camera. Instead, I speak with a totally unapologetic customer service representative, who tells me, like all the others that she “is not in a position to offer me a replacement camera.” She tells me that Sony has reviewed the image samples I have sent them and agree that something is wrong with the camera, and that I must send it in for repair. Flabbergasted, I tell her this would be the THIRD time I’ve sent the camera in for repair. With absolutely no apology, and a tone of complete indifference, she tells me that “warranty covers repair, not replacement.”

So there you go. Hours wasted on the phone, a $3,000 dollar camera that doesn’t work, and I am once again “sending the camera off for repair for a third time. Sony, you should be ashamed. 

I did a live chat with Sony Support once.  I complained that my lens made a clicking sound when zooming in/out (manual zoom lens not pz), and that the lens didn't fit perfectly tight on the camera, there was a tiny amount of rotational wiggle.

After he asked me a bunch of pointless questions, he eventually told me the solution was to update the firmware in the camera (in spite of the fact that I'm already on the latest), then he disconnected without waiting for me to respond to that.

"As a serious photographer..."

*chuckles*

With a little research beforehand, you would realize general Sony customer service is like playing Russian roulette.

Best thing to do is to be in their Pro Support program for better chance of service.

Now what I'm wondering is...you said body & lens for $3000 and than $3000 camera. Which is it? :huh:

Hey - what country are you in? From your term "spring break" I guess not UK. Did you buy the camera from new at a reputable shop?

The only reason I ask is that in the UK (and very likely something similar if you are not in UK) we have the "sales of goods act". Basically says items purchased should be fault free and fit for purpose. I believe no matter what the company offer in terms of a 12 month warranty, by law you have a 2 year warranty. If the item fails in the first 6 months you have the right to a replacement or your money back. It is assumed the item is faulty at manufacture at that point and you have to prove nothing. After the first 6 months, you have to prove there is an inherrant fault.

Basically from all this info, a person has rights when buying goods, usually more than the manufacturer lets on with their 12 month warranty.

I don't doubt you are dealing with staff who don't give a s**t and have little power to do anything but you need to get on the case with your consumer rights and send emails as this is written documented proof as to responses.

Good luck and don't feel Sony is the only git of a company..... the majority of customer service dealing I have leave a bad taste in my mouth. Hoping you get this sorted.

Wesley:

no need to be a know-it-all in regard to my diction. I specified that the body and lens was 3,000 dollars. That is correct. I would think it's fair to say "a camera" is the summation of its parts (i.e.: the body and lens are what enable you to have an image-making device) and it is therefore acceptable for me to call it "a 3,000 dollar camera."

Furthermore, I don't appreciate your condescension about my saying I'm a "serious photographer." Considering I did work for Beyoncé when I was 18 years old, yes, I would say I'm a serious photographer. But even if I hadn't, there is nothing wrong with someone saying they take photography seriously. 

I appreciate your suggestion about the Pro Support program, but it would have been nice if you had communicated this in a more respectful manner. 

You should realize people that sign up on a rumor forum site are serious photographers.

Well can't comment about the other sites but SAR members aren't your average schmuck so saying you're a serious photographer here is redundant and only shows you to be on a false hierarchy.

Sorry about your situation, most likely a lemon. I would get it repaired by a better third party out of pocket or buy another one + lenses and sign up for pro support. Should keep you more sane.

If you are USA than Sony uses Precision Camera which is third party anyways and they are definitely like playing Russian roulette.

This is confusing.  You realized something was drastically wrong with the camera the first time you used it, so why not just return it to the store where you bought it?  Zero return policy?  Or did you just not use the camera at all, for more than a month, after purchasing?  

Credibility of the entire [OP] complaint drained

away when I hit the phrase "spring break" ....

then the excessive level of detail only made it

even worse. Stating that oneself is a Serious

Photographer is the final nail in the coffin. I see

user error all over this, and I've never met the

the user .... only just read [heard ?] the OP.

Perhaps there is a flaw in the camera. It's only

a manufactured product after all .... BUT ! that

does not negate user error. You can incorrectly

"use" a fully functional camera, or you can do

the same with a malfunctioning camera, but user

error prevents understanding the malfunction. It

is not the job of customer service to educate

users. It's their job to apply the warranty.

You can check my posts. I have a helpful, and

perhap seven pedagogical nature, but I am NO

WAY moved by the OP to be of any help at all

.... except maybe to suggest that they grow up !

`