24-240??

MLWolfe

Has anyone who considers him/herself to be really picky shooting with a 24-240? I have an A7rii, and would like to travel with just two lenses. I am considering a 24-240 as a walk around and the 55 1.8 for low light situations. But then I know myself and don't want to spend my whole trip wishing for a sharper lens. I'm coming from a Canon 5dmarkiii and a huge investment in L glass. I already have the 55 1.8. If not the 24-240, any suggestions for a second lens?? Thanks!!

• 2 weeks later...

I have the 24-240 since about 2 weeks.I am happy with the image quality.I see no difference with my 28-70mm.

Two minor points however

1) I found it a bit expensive

2) the zoom ring is a bit stiff(heavy)

Anyway,that's only 2 minor points.For the rest i am rather happy with it.In december and januari,we are going to the Philppines, i will only bring my A7 and my 24-240.

I'm pretty picky and I own a 24-240. I'd say it's a good, solid lens that aims for value and versatility. The build is solid, looks and feels nice, and won't attract much attention. If those are your expectations, then it does a good job. It will not blow your mind at any given focal length the way one of the Zeiss primes or more restricted zooms will, though those generally cost more.

At 200mm, f/6.3 (max), the contrast and sharpness is pretty low. I have some cityscapes I took from a hotel room window at night at around 200mm, and it worked well for that, because the emphasis is on the ambiance rather than the sharpness. If your goal is to document your life, then it's a good fit. I wouldn't be comfortable using just it and the 55 1.8 on a photo trip, though.

Since you say you're picky and used to L lenses, I'd go with the 70-200 instead (which is optically very good), and add one of the wider zooms or primes. I haven't used the 16-35, but a lot of people seem to like it. That combo would only leave you without anything in the 35-55 and 55-70 range, which doesn't seem like a big deal.

I have the 16-35mm which is a top lens and the 24-240mm. What I don't like is the zoom on the 24-240mm is a different ring, compared to the wide angle. Its also a little awkward to hand hold, unlike the 24-105mm on the Canon. Also on a tripod it only takes a small bump for it to shake.

...... the 24-240mm. ...... on a tripod it only

takes a small bump for it to shake.

I seriously doubt you should be blaming the

lens for that. OTOH, if you mean that it's too

much FL for a lightly built travel tripod and

therefor not a viable traveler's lens, I can

see some logic there, but it's still a really

good 24-105 that only slows down to f/4.5 or

f/5.0 [simply ignoring the longest range]. A

24-105mm f/3.5-4.5 is a whole lot more useful

lens than a 105-200mm f/4.5-6.3 .... but in a

pinch, it's handy that they both share the same

physical space [keeps your sensor cleaner].

`

I seriously doubt you should be blaming the

lens for that. OTOH, if you mean that it's too

much FL for a lightly built travel tripod and

therefor not a viable traveler's lens, I can

see some logic there, but it's still a really

good 24-105 that only slows down to f/4.5 or

f/5.0 [simply ignoring the longest range]. A

24-105mm f/3.5-4.5 is a whole lot more useful

lens than a 105-200mm f/4.5-6.3 .... but in a

pinch, it's handy that they both share the same

physical space [keeps your sensor cleaner].

`

Have you actually used the lens in practice and compared it to other lenses?