Importing Photos to PC

Sorry if this has been discussed before, but I'm having more trouble than I should downloading pictures from my a6000 camera to my desktop. I have no problems with my Canon and Nikon programs, but Sony's PlayMemories Home won't work with Windows 10 or Linux. I contacted Sony, but got the usual lip smacking response about checking back frequently for a solution. I prefer not to wait.

I couldn't find any discussion on this issue, but there must be easier methods other than taking the SD card out of the camera every time I need to transfer pictures. WiFi may be the answer, but I know more about taking pics than setting up a WiFi connection. I was able to connect the camera to my WiFi , but don't know where to go or what to do from there.

Any suggestions? 

Sorry if this has been discussed before, but I'm having more trouble than I should downloading pictures from my a6000 camera to my desktop. I have no problems with my Canon and Nikon programs, but Sony's PlayMemories Home won't work with Windows 10 or Linux. I contacted Sony, but got the usual lip smacking response about checking back frequently for a solution. I prefer not to wait.

I couldn't find any discussion on this issue, but there must be easier methods other than taking the SD card out of the camera every time I need to transfer pictures. WiFi may be the answer, but I know more about taking pics than setting up a WiFi connection. I was able to connect the camera to my WiFi , but don't know where to go or what to do from there.

Any suggestions?

Hi jim30017,

I have no issues with playmemories and WIN10, it works fine.

Good alternative is to connect the camera via USB cable to your computer.

Good luck!

Gesendet von meinem m8 mit Tapatalk

Thanks Golem, timde, and agroene15 for your replies.

I connected the camera to the PC and re-downloaded the PlayMemories program. The PC does not recognize the camera when connected by USB, but will recognize the card in my card reader. When installing PM program, it stopped and gave me an "PMB.msi" error. I was researching this issue and it was a problem (with 64bit version of Windows 7) in 2013. It still is from what I can determine.

I'm sure I'm not the only one with this problem. Others with this problem must have realized that Sony will not or cannot solve this issue and have moved on to other usable programs. I have a card reader that will read the card and that will be the way to get my pictures. 

Thanks again for your responses,

Jim

Grayson, GA

I cannot think of anything more

obvious and expedient than just

removing the card. Maybe it's

cuz I used to remove film, roll

after roll after roll ... ad nauseum.

So pulling the card faaaaar less

frequently than I used to remove

film, well, it just seems so easy.

I see users trying to make every

other method work for them and

I just don't understand.

`

• 4 weeks later...

I have been using digital cameras for the past ten years. I would never dream of connecting a camera directly to my computer to download photos from a card. It is a waste of battery power, and the connection of the USB lead to the camera can get damaged. I have always used a card reader. It is much simpler and they only cost a few pounds. Just connect the card reader via a USB lead to the compute, put in the card and directly transfer the photos to a folder on the hard drive. (I use us an external hard drive and a duplicate hard drive,to keep all my photos safe). One doesn't need any applications to do this.

I'm not using any software to download.

Using a usb connection [on Win 7] I go to 'my computer'...the camera/card should display as a separate drive... a couple of clicks should bring up the images folder....right click/copy on that folder and then paste to a designated folder in My Docs or where ever.

That's it.

Update: Since I first posted this, Sony issued an update that allows Play Memories Home to work on my PC using Windows 10. I am a happy camper again.

I appreciated the responses from everyone to that post. I was surprised to read that most of the responders are using card readers to download pictures from their cameras. I have one and used it to download my pictures during my problem getting PMH to work on my PC. I still find it easier to plug the USB into my camera and my pictures are downloaded before I can get the battery door open to remove the SD card. I realize that not everyone uses the same work flow. This is how I started in 2004 with my first digital and never saw an advantage to doing it another way.

Jim

Grayson, GA

• 3 weeks later...

Surely if one downloads from the camera, unless one deletes the photos from the cardcafter each download, then one will download the same photos over and over again, with a few additions.

I download from my SD card using a card reader into folders on my hard disks, in which I download 100 image into each folder which are numbered consequetively (i.e. 0001-00100, 00101-00200 etc,etc.). I have several cards, which I often use randomly, but the camera keeps the numbers consequtive. I only remove the images from an SD card when it is full.I will occasionally,using Photoshop, look at images on the SD card in the card reader,before downloading them to see what I have got.

• 1 month later...

Hi guys,

I have another issue regarding to transfer photos to my PC.

As you can see in photos I follow all steps, but the transfer is not working...More than that, the camera remains stuck(see last photo) and I can't get photos...The only way to unstuck it is to remove the battery...It really pissed me of.....

What the hell I have to do?

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys,

As you can see in photos I follow all steps, but the transfer is not working...More than that, the camera remains stuck(see last photo) and I can't get photos...The only way to unstuck it is to remove the battery...It really pissed me of.....

So much simpler to download using a card reader.

If your camera is freezing up, take it back to the shop for replacement or repair.

If the camera is broken, then get it fixed. I wouldn't spend time trying to get it working on your PC when for all we know, the camera is broken.  Perhaps take it back to the shop and get them to test it?

Hi guys,

Of course there are more ways to transfer, like cable or card reader, but...don;t forget that I paid for wi-fi transfer and this is an option which give me the possibilities to transfer the photos easier.

Anyway, I will contact the Shop and Sony Service to see why the camera is freeziing up.

• 5 months later...

Okay. So basically it seems that Sony have blocked access direct to the memory and you can ONLY access it via their software. I really cannot believe that. This is the sort of thing you would expect in a bottom of the range camera, not something that is very expensive and supposedly hugely flexible.

Even if I wanted to install their software, and I don't, I can't as they only have versions for Windows and Apple. It staggers believe to pay so much for something and it basically to be hacked in this way.

How does one take the USB out of the camera?

My family, parents, all use Sony cameras of a variety and they all work as a standard USB mass storage. No Sony software packages needed.

If it does not work on your PC, then something is broken/not working.

• 6 months later...

I think the comment is correct that only Sony Play Memories will work -- at least that is true with my Nex6.

I run a dual boot machine -- and Mint Linux freezes whether I connect the camera directly with a usb cable, or plug the SD card into a card reader.   Note that there is no such problem with my Canon 7D,  or the Canon's CF card.

The Nex6 connects only through Play Memories, which only runs under Windows.

• 3 weeks later...

Surely if one downloads from the camera, unless one deletes the photos from the cardcafter each download, then one will download the same photos over and over again, with a few additions.

I download from my SD card using a card reader into folders on my hard disks, in which I download 100 image into each folder which are numbered consequetively (i.e. 0001-00100, 00101-00200 etc,etc.). I have several cards, which I often use randomly, but the camera keeps the numbers consequtive. I only remove the images from an SD card when it is full.I will occasionally,using Photoshop, look at images on the SD card in the card reader,before downloading them to see what I have got.

With PlayMemories the software will download either all photos or 'New images' so all good.

PM also can create a folder for new images or create a folder with the date of the photo or photos downloaded. I have set my computer to display the date as 2017-02-04 so the folders are in order when I view in File Manager.

Also there is a setting in the camera required for downloading images.

In menu Tab 6 and sub-tab 4 the USB Connection can be Auto, Mass Storage, MTP or PC Remote.

It should work perfectly on Auto, but can be set to Mass Storage for downloading with PM.

PC Remote can be used with Sony's 'Remote Camera Control' for tethered shots, I use the free Capture One for Sony to do this. No live view though.

MTP or Media Transfer Protocol let's you transfer files (pictures, videos, etc.) between your device and a PC.