Selling Nikon gear and making the switch

s7e7e7n

Internal struggle is whether to go with the A6000 or A7ii. Just worried about the autofocus on the A7ii. Kids started soccer and don't want to miss everything. I do understand the autofocus discrepancies with the A7ii. Looking for real world experience. Below is a link to some of my work to give you a better idea of me and my photos. Basically I'm just trying future proof my decisions. I'm looking at the Rokinon 12mm for landscapes a 70-200 F4 for the long end. Open to suggestions on some sharp primes and a quality midrange zoom. Thank you all and looking forward to your support!

www.flickr.com/mgallimore32

Sent from my iPhone using Tapalk

What is your current Nikon system?  That will set the expectation and comparison for you.

I made the exact same move this month to a7Rii from D300, where I was shooting my kids sports (soccer and baseball).  D300 has 6fps and struggled a bit on soccer (not on baseball).

W/a7Rii, I can frame grab from 4K video at 30fps and get excellent images (albeit jpeg).  Also use 5fps for raw images too.

I do have the 70-200 f/4 native lens and am waiting for AF converter to use the nikkors I own.

If you are used to DSLR with fast fps, both A6000 and a7ii will disappoint you most likely, as focus speed is slow.  On a7Rii, its much faster than a7ii and I feel its on par with my D300 in terms of speed and is more accurate than my Nikon.

Good luck.

I have the A7 Mk II.  When using the Metabones IV adapter with a Canon 70-200 f4 L IS lens, the autofocus is slower than my Sony 55 f1.8 lens.  It is generally accepted that non-Sony lenses have slower autofocus and do not support many (if not most) advanced features like eye autofocus, face recognition and others.  When tracking my one-year old grand baby, I find it much easier to use Sony lenses and autofocus.  It may be that future models of the A7 family will do a better job with non-Sony lenses.  Firmware updates to both Sony products and the various smart adapters (Metabones IV for example) may eventually overcome some if not all of these problems.  I am gradually selling all my Canon glass and purchasing Sony/Zeiss glass.  

MY ADVICE: STICK WITH SONY LENSES ON THE SONY A7 FAMILY

i would go for A7II and Sonnar 55mm F1.8...i think it fits best to your shooting stile

if you need a wide angle take the Sony FE 28mm F2 but

the kit lens is quite cheap and decent, i payed 200 used

it is very good IMO at the short end beside distortion (but internal lens correction will fix it), so a wide angle lens is not needed than

if you need fast AF i would go for the LAEA-4 with a A-mount lens with SSM...same speed as the Sony  DLSR Alpha 77 

I currently shoot the Nikon D600 but dislike the weight when working on my landscape and general carrying around. i am looking at the Sony 70-200 for sure. Maybe the 28-70 kit lens and a A6000 until i can make a decision on the A7II. All a difficult decision LoL. I do not have any plans to keep my nikon glass. While i was looking to take my photography further it is back to being a hobby for now. 

Thank you all for your responses!

I currently shoot the Nikon D600 but dislike the weight when working on my landscape and general carrying around. i am looking at the Sony 70-200 for sure. Maybe the 28-70 kit lens and a A6000 until i can make a decision on the A7II. All a difficult decision LoL. I do not have any plans to keep my nikon glass. While i was looking to take my photography further it is back to being a hobby for now. 

Thank you all for your responses!

I started my Sony journey with an a6000 but took it back since I had the opportunity to buy an a7II used quite cheap. Perhaps I am spoiled now, but I think I am longing to sell it to use the a6000 instead for only one reason: price. I would be willing to use an a6000 for now, as my test images show that quality is pretty much just as good between the two. There are critical differences, such as IBIS, crop factor, etc, but personally I could easily make do.

I know some companies are working on Nikon adapters for Sony, but they are in alpha stages and one review I saw of a test unit was frankly not good. Keep fingers crossed though, as more adapters just means more lens choice. =)

• 4 weeks later...

Hi:

I recently switched from Nikon D800 and D700 to Sony mirrorless system. I own the A7II and the A6000. Both cameras are great.

If you are coming from a Nikon D300 (which probably is over 7 years old) either camera will be a substantial improvement to the D300.

What I can suggest is to watch this video from the Camera Store which they test the A6000 against the other mirrorless and use the Nikon D4s as the point of reference. https://youtu.be/up8K_xd_iwU?list=PLwkRjiYVzrAtnM3cyheSrvj8XWgF7wi5K

Also, long time Sony photographer Chris Burkard showed for DPReview the A6000 for shooting Surfing;

https://youtu.be/qzTwXGO9Km4

Their experience and their conclusions agree with my experience so far using the A6000, the camera will performed well for most sports. Plus the Crop factor will work in your advantage. If you are going to make your living as a professional sport photographer then i would go for the Nikon D4s as it is the undisputed champion in the area.

Still, the A7II will be a big improvement over the D300. 

Just take the advantage of all the AF technology both cameras offer. I would do suggest the A6000 over the A7II for what you want to use it for. Also, there are rumors that the A6000 replacement is on its way.

Wish you the best. 

@davidmedina - I think you have my response to OP confused with what I have.

OP is moving from D600, not D300 - which is what I moved from to a7rii.

As for a7rii being better than 7 years old D300, obviously is like comparing 7 years old computer with the latest iteration, in terms of image quality and capabilities, but shooting sports, D300 still has an edge over EVF and fps.

I have learned to shoot differently with a7rii and the end result is similar with better image quality than before so its all good but there is a need to do things differently with EVF.

Someone above stated that the a6000 would disappoint due to slow focus: WRONG. You will absolutely love the a6000, its a fantastic camera, very quick to focus and tracks moving objects with ease. I just sold mine, not because of dissatisfaction, but because I needed the cash for the a7Rii, and i really dont have a need for the superior autofocus and tracking the a6000 offers and wanted to stick to full frame (sold my a7ii as well).

You will not be disappointed in the a6000 at all!

Internal struggle is whether to go with the A6000 or A7ii. Just worried about the autofocus on the A7ii. Kids started soccer and don't want to miss everything. I do understand the autofocus discrepancies with the A7ii. Looking for real world experience. Below is a link to some of my work to give you a better idea of me and my photos. Basically I'm just trying future proof my decisions. I'm looking at the Rokinon 12mm for landscapes a 70-200 F4 for the long end. Open to suggestions on some sharp primes and a quality midrange zoom. Thank you all and looking forward to your support!

www.flickr.com/mgallimore32

Sent from my iPhone using Tapalk

can't see single reason not going from D600 to a7II

My suggestion would be the a7Rii if there is any way you could increase your budget (maybe start out with less lenses).  I currently have a Nikon d750 and a d810 with a variety of lenses.  In the past, I have tried to make the switch to an a7 and then retried when the a7ii came out, both times dissatisfied.  However, I currently made another attempt with the a7rii and I must say, I'm very pleased.  Although not perfect, it is a strong performer with IQ, focus speed and low light ability being top notch.  It took me a week to make the mirrorless transition but once I did, I discovered that I have no reason to pick up my Nikon gear and haven't done so in over 2 months.  Regarding lenses, I would suggest staying with native Sony E mount lenses to maximize focusing speed and the image quality is good, especially Zeiss and G series.  Lastly, maybe you should think about renting an a7ii and an a7rii to test.  Switching systems is a big investment and one you should be sure will meet your shooting objectives.

Lastly, maybe you should think about renting an a7ii and an a7rii to test.  Switching systems is a big investment and one you should be sure will meet your shooting objectives.

Definitely something to do. Reading up on the Internet and looking at sample pictures, comparing tests at DxO etc. will only take you so far. I'm currently renting an A7R II this weekend and was able to do so at a place where they will deduct the renting fee in full if I buy the camera in the end.