Tamron 90mm 2.8 VC macro Canon mount on A7r II

tinplater

Has any one tried/used this combination?  Have Canon equipment too, looking for 90mm macro for the Sony A7r II.  The fact I could use the Tamron on both systems is attractive, but will I find poor compatibility on the Sony body with adapter?  Two macros for the price of around $450 vs one for around $1100 makes me really hope the Tamron is the answer?

I have the Tamron SP 90mm f/2.8 AF Macro non VC.  I know you asked about the VC version but I thought I'd chime in since from what I've read the image quality is about the same on both.  I've had the lens for almost a year now and really enjoyed using it for both Macros and Portraits.  I originally had the Sony A7r and last month picked up a A7r II.  The IBIS of the A7rm2/A7rii really helps with macros since it's usually stopped down.  I manually set the IBIS for 90mm since I haven't found a definite answer if the Auto setting picks up that it's 90mm lens.  It should since the Metadata reports it but I set it just to be safe.  Something interesting is that in Lightroom the lens is reported as a Tamron 100mm but shows 90mm for the actual focal length.  I think it's razor sharp across the frame and doesn't show a lot of chromatic aberration with shiny things.  It has really nice colors too.  From what I understand, with the A7r II, if you get the VC version you will have to make a choice of either IBIS or VC, you can't use both.  Since you have IBIS you could get the non VC version and save a few dollars.  My version of the Tamron is a screw drive, I'm not sure if they all are, and requires the LA-EA4 A-Mount to E-Mount adapter.

That said... I ended up buying the Sony FE 90mm f2.8 last weekend.  After reading reviews and seeing the images everyone was posting with it I decided that IBIS + OSS would be an added benefit but more importantly I wanted Eye AF for portraits.  Having all 399 focus points is really nice too.  The Tamron (mine at least) doesn't focus that fast with the limited focus points LA-EA4 adapter and it's motor drive.   I'm happy with the Sony 90mm and am working to sell some things to help offset the cost of it.  I just posted my Tamron 90mm to Craigslist yesterday. 

The Tamron is a great lens as long as you are aware of it and any adapted lens weaknesses.

Cheers

I have the Tamron SP 90mm f/2.8 AF Macro non VC.  I know you asked about the VC version but I thought I'd chime in since from what I've read the image quality is about the same on both.  I've had the lens for almost a year now and really enjoyed using it for both Macros and Portraits.  I originally had the Sony A7r and last month picked up a A7r II.  The IBIS of the A7rm2/A7rii really helps with macros since it's usually stopped down.  I manually set the IBIS for 90mm since I haven't found a definite answer if the Auto setting picks up that it's 90mm lens.  It should since the Metadata reports it but I set it just to be safe.  Something interesting is that in Lightroom the lens is reported as a Tamron 100mm but shows 90mm for the actual focal length.  I think it's razor sharp across the frame and doesn't show a lot of chromatic aberration with shiny things.  It has really nice colors too.  From what I understand, with the A7r II, if you get the VC version you will have to make a choice of either IBIS or VC, you can't use both.  Since you have IBIS you could get the non VC version and save a few dollars.  My version of the Tamron is a screw drive, I'm not sure if they all are, and requires the LA-EA4 A-Mount to E-Mount adapter.

That said... I ended up buying the Sony FE 90mm f2.8 last weekend.  After reading reviews and seeing the images everyone was posting with it I decided that IBIS + OSS would be an added benefit but more importantly I wanted Eye AF for portraits.  Having all 399 focus points is really nice too.  The Tamron (mine at least) doesn't focus that fast with the limited focus points LA-EA4 adapter and it's motor drive.   I'm happy with the Sony 90mm and am working to sell some things to help offset the cost of it.  I just posted my Tamron 90mm to Craigslist yesterday. 

The Tamron is a great lens as long as you are aware of it and any adapted lens weaknesses.

Cheers

Thank you!  Very helpful.  Since I would continue to shoot macro with my Canon equipment, the Tamron VC is attractive, I suspect the slow focus is the main issue.