Cheap adapter & Sony A7

kriskerry91

Hi guys, first post on here but after a Google search I couldnt find what I was looking for.

Basically what I wanted to know is what does a lens, for example the Canon EF 50mm 1.8, with no on-lens aperture ring use as the default aperture if there is no alectronic communication to the camera?

I have a Sony A7 and a cheap adapter that has no electronic connections. When I attach a Canon 50mm 1.8 to the camera I obviously have no AF or aperture control. Manual focusing is fine by my but I'm just wondering will the aperture default to f1.8 and have no issues with shooting?

From a few examples I've done it seems to be at 1.8 and the Shallow DoF is insane, is it okay to shoot like this?

thanks in advance!

Hi, and welcome :)

What a lens will do depends by the brand and type.

For example, Canon EF (the autofocus ones, like yours) will default to a fully open aperture. Actually, if I remember correctly, they will stay put at the latest used aperture; so if you use the lens with a Canon body and shoot at, say, f/5.6 and then you remove the lens and you put it on the Sony with an adapter in theory it should shoot at f/5.6. Please take this with a grain of salt, because I no longer have any Canon stuff so I'm unable to check this. 

Nikon G ones, instead, will default to the smallest aperture. The new kind of Nikon G (I don't remember the name, GE maybe???) will instead behave like the Canon, and stay fully open.