Min SS and ISO on A7Rii

mkg3

After reading the manual, it appears that minimum shutter speed and ISO setting only works, if Auto ISO is selected - is this correct?

I'm transitioning from Nikon, where one can select whatever ISO for the shot, and if, using Aperture Priority, the shutter speed falls below the specified value, the ISO increases to match the min SS.  There is also a max ISO for this function that a user can set.

Just want to make sure I not missing or misunderstanding something here.  If I use Auto ISO, it doesn't appear that I can control the ISO explicitly.

Thanks in advance.

I have read your post 3 times and am still not sure what you are asking. Maybe I'm just a bit slow today but maybe you could be more specific about what you want to do and then one of us existing A7Rii users could explain to you whether it is possible and how it can be done.

Regards

Peter

http://www.peterwalker.com

Thanks - and sorry, if I'm not being clear.  Maybe an example will help.

When shooting aperture priority with a fixed ISO setting (e.g., ISO100), and lighting become such that it requires slower shutter speed (e.g., 1/125) than I'd like.   My Nikon can be set so that the shutter speed doesn't fall below 1/125, in this example, while bumps ISO up to whatever it needs to be to maintain the minimum shutter speed and proper exposure.  The upper limit for ISO can be set so that it will no go past specified (e.g., ISO 3200) and resulting in an underexposed image in the limit case.

If I understand the a7R2, the only way to get the ISO bump automatically, is by not specifying fixed ISO (i.e., "Auto ISO").  

Clearly, I can adjust my shooting approach to live within the framework Sony has, if this is the case, but when shooting a moving subjects through highly contrasting environment (moving subjects through bright sunlight and shadows), I've just gotten used to set the ISO to bright condition and let auto ISO bump the value up, while maintaining relatively fast, minimum shutter speed.

Given how clean the image is over a wide range of ISO, perhaps I just try setting it auto and see how that goes.

Thanks for helping - appreciate it!

Yes, Auto ISO would be the way to do this on the A7Rii.

I use the two Memory positions on the Mode dial. I preset all my favorite settings and then saved them into 1 and 2. Then I left 1 with the settings that I call "slow-paced considered shooting" (AF-S, single shot, spot focus, aperture priority, ISO 100, etc) and adjusted Memory 2 to be "fast-paced, grab shooting" (AF-C, zone focus, continuous shot, program priority, Auto ISO capped at 1600, etc). Combined with the exposure compensation dial, gives you plenty of control.

Flick the mode dial between them depending on the situation. Make any adjustments to settings then flick the mode dial to bring it back to a known state. Seems to work fine - for me.

Regards

Peter

http://www.peterwalker.com