Zeiss Loxia vs Milvus

gillman99

I have the Sony Alpha 7rii and was looking at 35mm options.  I don't plan to do tons of video, but will do a small amount of the kids (birthdays, christmas, vacations, etc).  Why would I want to use the Loxia over the Milvus or vice versa?  I realize I need a converter for the Milvus, but are there any clear advantages for one over the other with the a7rii?

Price, size, image quality ... all are a little bit bigger/higher/better with the Milvus I presume.

I would use an autofocus lens for those scenarios in any case. Otherwise, the Loxia is already pretty good. The Milvus range is interesting, especially if you intend to buy more than one. But the Sony/Zeiss 35/2.8 is a fraction of the price (and size) and so is even the SZ 35/1.4 which several people around here use and love.

According to Zeiss, their lens lines should be roughly this way:

Loxia: based on ZM (rangefinder) lenses, MF only

Batis: same quality level as Loxia (but different optical schemes, all new and tele-centric aka "DSLR like"), and with AF

Canon/Nikon line: in this line will remain only the 50/1.4 and the 85/1.4 (with the original optical schemes, i.e. not the Milvus ones)

Milvus: based on their Nikon/Canon lens line, but with new coating (and new optical schemes as well in the case of the 50/1.4 and 85/1.4), and AF

Otus: the "no compromises" line, MF only (so they can use heavy glass elements to correct for aberrations and ensure the precision of the focusing action)

Yet unnamed: a couple bloggers invited at the presentation of the Milvus line hinted that in the same occasion Zeiss disclosed as well another lens line, but asked the journalist and bloggers present to keep quite for a month or so, to wait for the official announcement...

Now let's hope Zeiss will put an end to their sprouting of bird-named lens lines; it's getting even more confusing than Sony "alfa" strategy and that's something ;)

The Loxia lenses are specifically built for the E-mount system. I would prefer them over the SLR based Milvus lenses, mainly for the size and features; the Loxias provide data to the camera, such as aperture setting and focus distance. It will also automatically magnifiy the selected focus area if you want to when you turn the focus ring.

But honestly, if you are going to shoot video casually, I found that using the Sony E-mount lenses do a fine job, and provide AF. The Loxia 35 f2 is a stop faster than the Sony 35 f2.8, but it is more expensive, MF only, larger and heavier.

Yes, the Zeiss LOXIA lenses are designed especially for the SONY A7x cameras!  The brand new Zeiss MILVUS lenses are made with the Canon/Nikon mounts.

I've asked this question already to Zeiss, whether the OTUS or MILVUS lenses can be adapt to the A7II, or A7RII, or A7SII, because their Bajonett mounts have been stabilized now, for more weighty lenses! But so far with no answer yet!

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, the Zeiss LOXIA lenses are designed especially for the SONY A7x cameras!  The brand new Zeiss MILVUS lenses are made with the Canon/Nikon mounts.

I've asked this question already to Zeiss, whether the OTUS or MILVUS lenses can be adapt to the A7II, or A7RII, or A7SII, because their Bajonett mounts have been stabilized now, for more weighty lenses! But so far with no answer yet!

Using a adapter on Otus 85mm F1,4 isnt a problem with A7r2...holding it for a longer time of time, models who don't adapt to MF vs AF (they are used to working fast and can't control them self) is other issues...I feel I get much better and easier shots with A7R2 and Otus instead of D810 and Otus...that was hard..

I was one of the invited bloggers to the Zeiss presentation and mounted the Milvus 2/35 on my Sony A7II. Yes it is a wonderful lens and the MF is buttery smooth. But I personally would go for the Loxia 2/35. Why? First of all it is smaller and specifically made for the Sony A7 series. The Loxia lenses are an absolute joy to use on the Sony cameras. What you also get is the automatic magnification when turning the manual focus ring. This did not happen with the Canon mount lens via a Metabones adapter.

That alone would be enough for me. The pure image quality is the tricky one. The Milvus lens was a tad better, had a little nicer Bokeh. But we are splitting hairs on this one. At least that is my humble opinion.

Price wise the Milvus is a little cheaper when bought new. If you buy a used Loxia you can get a good deal.

You can find my review on the Loxia on my blog

http://stockografie.de/my-personal-review-on-the-zeiss-loxia-235-and-250-on-the-sony-a7/

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Had the opportunity to stroll around for a night with the 50mm Milvus at my A7II recently. https://www.flickr.com/groups/zeiss_milvus_50mm_makro/ shows you four of the pictures. Worked great, but I'll go for the 55mm 1.8, which is lighter, a bit faster and an excellent lens without an adapter.

Hi Denis, you can confirm that the magnification doesn't work?

Thx ang great picture ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Just bought the a7rII (actually my first digital camera aside from phone) with the 55/1.8.  I have the ZM 50/2 and ZM 35/2, which I have loved on my Zeiss Ikon rangefinder.  I rented the Loxia 50/2 for a while, but in the end decided to go with the 55/1.8 for now, being autofocus, and overall liked the sharpness and rendering.

I really liked the Loxia 50 too.  I could tell it was ever so slightly sharper than the ZM 50/2 with adapter.  Just love that "3D pop".  It's very subtle, but adds a richness to a scene.  Though, I think I preferred the aperture ring out in front on the ZM rather than where it's placed on the Loxia.  Not sure why they moved it.

Along with the OP, my next dilemma will be the 35mm focal length, one of my favorite.  I tried the FE 35/1.4 in the store, and while with my biggish hands it wasn't awkward to handle, and I love having both autofocus AND an aperture ring, I must admit the size was a bit off-putting.  Not exactly a size for travel/street.  I guess the FE 35/2.8 makes more sense for that, but I do like the convenience of a bit more speed & shallow DOF at times.  The Loxia 35 might be the only middle ground, at least right now....

• 3 weeks later...