A7II - "UNABLE TO DISPLAY" image

Dannie

Hi, I'm just a month playing with my A7II and facing a problem stated "UNABLE TO DISPLAY" image when hiting the play button to view image. It happened after I connected the camera to computer as USB MASS STORAGE and deleted some images directly from computer. It's just like the image is gone, but it still being reserved in the memory and could find the image to show up. The camera monitor showing gray color with the message "UNABLE TO DISPLAY". Never faced this kind of problem before with any other cameras. Anyone experienced this before? Looking towards your response as I'm lost..Thanks mate

Did you "eject" the SD Card on your computer before removing it?

Your description might indicate a corrupted file, perhaps partly deleted. See if you can delete the file from the camera, or take another shot, that sometimes helps. Otherwise the only way to clear it up might be a format of the SD Card ... copy images off the card first of course.

Did you "eject" the SD Card on your computer before removing it?

Your description might indicate a corrupted file, perhaps partly deleted. See if you can delete the file from the camera, or take another shot, that sometimes helps. Otherwise the only way to clear it up might be a format of the SD Card ... copy images off the card first of course.

Hi Tim, thanks for your fast response. I did eject the SD Card before removing it.. Yes you're right it just seems like partly deleted, and I can delete the corrupted files directly from the camera one by one, but there're hundreds of files which take forever if I have to do it one at a time from the camera. So I ended up formating the SD Card to have it clear in one shot, but again the same thing always happened anytime I delete the file directly from computer. I tried to hook it up with PlayMemories Mobile App and it showed all the files that got partly deleted, but PlayMemories Mobile App unable to delete file, it only able to import files to the mobile..So I tried to use PlayMemories Home desktop software in hope that it can also read the partly deleted file but it didn't..

It seems like if we import the files through PlayMemories Home software while the feature to delete files after finish importing being checked list, this problem won't show up. It's just the problem with USB MASS STORAGE.. I did try with another SD Card and the same problem keep on coming. My camera firmware version is 1.21, seems like to be the latest version if I'm not mistaken.

It's supposed the most common thing with connecting camera to the computer and do all the copy delete files, but this is the first ever that I had experienced problem like this..sighhh...

Hi guys, just wanna share that I found the solution to this problem. It has to do with the image database of the camera. When we delete images from the computer, it didn't automatically update the camera database. Therefore when we playback, the camera database still trying to show the image that has been deleted. The solution is to run the RECOVER IMAGE DB which is in the menu. Once it finished, the error message will disappear..So in order to avoid this problem to always shows up, formating the SD Card after every session or after the sdcard almost full might be a good choice. Cheers..

• 6 months later...

Hi guys, just wanna share that I found the solution to this problem. It has to do with the image database of the camera. When we delete images from the computer, it didn't automatically update the camera database. Therefore when we playback, the camera database still trying to show the image that has been deleted. The solution is to run the RECOVER IMAGE DB which is in the menu. Once it finished, the error message will disappear..So in order to avoid this problem to always shows up, formating the SD Card after every session or after the sdcard almost full might be a good choice. Cheers..

I discovered the same annoying thing and I found the answer here

• 3 years later...
  • 3 months later...