Considering Switch from Fuji X

Hi all. First post here, so be gentle please.  :) I'm an enthusiast level Fuji X user who ran into the limitations of the crop sensor this weekend when I had to print images in large sizes for the first time. This led me to a bunch of Googling, which eventually brought me to the Sony A7 line. I make no money from my photography but LOVE taking photos, processing, reviewing, etc... My question is this: the Fuji X line is fine for what it is, but I'm getting more and more into night photography, landscapes, and long exposures, and everything I read about the Sony A7 line and it's full frame sensor is positive. I can trade all my Fuji gear and get an A7 and a kit lens (or a 28mm prime) for a reasonable price. 

As I want something I'm going to grow into, I'm wondering if now is the time to jump to the mirrorless full frame game, and if so, which A7 would best suit me. Again, I'm not a pro, but an extremely avid enthusiast.

Thank you for any help and input, and I hope to learn a lot from everyone here.

Jason A.

Westchester, NY

Hi Jason

i switched from sony nex7 aps-c to Sony A7 FF half a year ago, both 24MP. I´m very happy with the A7, but i found the differences not very significant.

It is the EVF that impress me most, and a little bit better low light ability, but resolution and IQ are not much better. Shutter sound is awful, Aps-c is much better in this respect.

So i think, if you will improve your setup, you have to invest in the 7RII and FE55 (AF) or Loxia 50 (MF), FE28 is also great if you like this focal length (19mm on aps-c), to have a significant change, with silent shutter and 42MP and 5 axis IS and great optical IQ.

I find the A7RII to expensive right now, so i would wait and enjoy your great Fuji X Setup.

Differences in sharpness between Aps-c and full frame are not that significant, until you start to print big (70x100cm and up) and you need to uprez the files. Then you will able to see a pretty significant margin even between an A7 and a Nex 7.

That being said, with the A7r II that just come out prices for the mark I model should be pretty low now, and you will never have to worry about having enough detail for printing. In that case, though, if I were you I'll forget about the kit lens, is not that good on 36Mp.

If you're not a tripod guy, for more or less the same price of the A7r (or slightly more if buying it new) you could get an A7 II that with IBIS will make your life easier and your pictures sharper.

And if you don't need AF go for legacy glass, there are tons of lenses that sell for peanuts that perform wonderfully even on the A7r.

Hey great advice all. Thanks.

I suppose a response to this is kind of moot now as this morning I traded my Fuji X-E2, 18-55 and 35 lenses for an A7 and the kit lens (I can only get the wife to approve so much, you know?).

I do a lot of night time tripod work, and hope to get a wide prime soon. Or maybe the Nex 10-18, which apparently will cover the full frame from 12-17...?

To be honest, the physical handling of the camera drew me in more than I'd thought. The novelty of the Fuji retro controls wore off a bit. Specially since the X-E2 didn't have a very easy way to change ISO.

Looking forward to learning fr everyone here!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk