actress headshots - A7Rii, 90 Macro & Canon 85Lii and 135L

bplet

Had fun bouncing between the 90 Macro and my old trusty 85Lii and 135L on Metabones IV, at a headshot session yesterday.   Haven't even really had time to sort through the whole stack yet, but here are a few random grabs from the pile.  No retouching beyond some basic adjustments in Lightroom (bumping up contrast primarily).  The 85 and 135 shots were all manually focused using primarily just peaking.  The 85L actually AF's fairly well, but at f/1.2 MF seemed to fare better.  (The 135 doesn't AF at all, just goes bonkers) 

My typical Canon headshot setup was 5D3 with 100L Macro as my most-used "safe" lens, to nail the majority of shots with clarity and deeper focus (both eyes definitely sharp, etc...), then once I had safe options in the bag I'd get squirrely and see what I could get with the dreamier 85/135 wide open.  On the R2, the 90 Macro has become my safe lens, and when combined with Eye-AF, it's just a juggernaut for headshots.  Far better keeper rate than the 5D3/100L and just a shocking amount of detail.

• 3 weeks later...

Unfortunately I have been unable to get my 85mm 1.2 ii to focus either manual or auto with metabones, and not even mount with my King adapter (won't quite click into locked position) on my A7r II.  I guess there is something marginally wrong with the lens...it works perfectly on my Canon bodies, of course!

Nice job with the images - very helpful to see the different perspective and IQ as a result of your lens choices.  For me, I really like the look and perspective of the 135L from your set.  Just really flattering of the model's face and I like the bokeh. I had a similar experience using the Sony a7rii mounted with a  Sony 135mm f/1.8 Carl Zeiss T* Telephoto Prime Lens. One caveat though, I had to use the LAEA4 adapter since the 135mm 1.8 is an A mount lens.  I originally tried the LAEA3 adapter as it is rumored to be faster plus it has more focusing points than the LAEA4, but oddly, the 3 doesn't autofocus with two "A" lenses, the 135mm being one of them.  For more information or sample images, here is the link to the images I took with an a7rii and the 135mm 1.8 lens and the 55mm 1.8 as well: http://stillsandvideo.squarespace.com/blog/a7rii

• 5 weeks later...

Nice job with the images - very helpful to see the different perspective and IQ as a result of your lens choices.  For me, I really like the look and perspective of the 135L from your set.  Just really flattering of the model's face and I like the bokeh. I had a similar experience using the Sony a7rii mounted with a  Sony 135mm f/1.8 Carl Zeiss T* Telephoto Prime Lens. One caveat though, I had to use the LAEA4 adapter since the 135mm 1.8 is an A mount lens.  I originally tried the LAEA3 adapter as it is rumored to be faster plus it has more focusing points than the LAEA4, but oddly, the 3 doesn't autofocus with two "A" lenses, the 135mm being one of them.  For more information or sample images, here is the link to the images I took with an a7rii and the 135mm 1.8 lens and the 55mm 1.8 as well: http://stillsandvideo.squarespace.com/blog/a7rii

Hi,

The 85 and 135 A-mount lenses will not focus using the LA-EA3 because they are not SSM, you have to use the LA-EA4. It is said that Sony will update these lenses with SSM, but we don't know when.