Sony a7s Newbie Questions

WienerRoast

Hello!

I'm a brand new owner of the a7s. I'm by no means a professional photographer (I'm using this mainly for video) but I'm excited to get to know this camera. I'm coming from using a Nikon d5100 so the transition is a little rocky for me.

Along with the a7s body, I have the Sony Sonnar 35mm lens. I seem to be getting a lot of noise with this lens even though all the reviews for it have been great. I'm thinking I just don't know how to use it correctly, so can someone please help me figure out why I'm getting so much noise? What camera settings are best for minimal noise?

Also any general info you can provide to this a7s newb would be much appreciated! I still have no idea how to use the Picture Profiles...

Thanks!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you're starting out with the A7S and video I would recommend you watch Philip Bloom's review & set-up guide (available in YouTube). Find his Brighton beach video too (linked from his website) as an example of what the camera is capable of. Bloom knows what he is talking about and is always worth hearing.

Picture profiles - PP7 is slog2 and should be avoided unless

1. You have the skill to grade it

Or

2. You have the time to play in post...

Min ISO in slog2 is 3200 so can be difficult to use without ND. You'll need experience using FCX or Resolve or similar (or, again, lots of time to experiment and gain experience).

The other PPs are out of the box so you can try them and see.

As above, to address the noise issue, more info is required.

I'd think about getting a Samyang manual focus video lens (not the expensive new ones) to really get into the cinematic film look if that's something you want to experiment with.

Have fun!

Tim