Underwater macro with the A7R II & Sony FE 90mm macro

PHIL RUDIN

From my Tuesday dive at the Blue Heron Bridge, Florida. A7R II with the FE 90mm macro and the Nauticam NA-A7II housing, lighting two Inon strobes.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• 1 month later...

Hello Meemo, 

Manual mode on the camera, All images at ISO-200, !/250th-1/320th at F14 using two Inon Z-240 strobes, Nauticam housing with FE 90mm macro port. I set the lens to the 0.5M-0.28M setting which means your stingray shot above would not have been in focus. All were shot with auto focus using the rear AF/MF-AEL button. All processing in current LightRoom software.

I have the manual focus gear but have not used it yet.

The attached image is at ISO-200, 1/250th, F/10 and you can see how depth of field drops off with a very close shot as the F/numbers become smaller.

• 2 weeks later...

I shoot this lens locked in the close focus range shooting from about 3 to 18 inches. This keeps me in a zone where the lens does not hunt as much in auto focus. AF speed is as fast as other high end mirrorless cameras I have used like Olympus E-M1 and E-M5 II. I also have the manual focus gear and find that in some cases particularly at life size (1:1) manual focus may work better. I have the camera set to switch between AF and manual using focus on the AF/MF/AEL rear button.  

• 1 month later...

Full frame at 1:1 with a +10 wet closeup lens, It looks something like this mounted on the housing using a flip adapter that allows you to move the lens in and out. This is a Nauticam CMC-1 C/U lens on a Nauticam NA-EM1 housing for Olympus E-M1.