New Firmware for Alpha 7, 6000, 5000, 5100

benmao

A new firmware is available:

http://www.sony.jp/products/overseas/contents/support/info/info_ilce-7_ilce-7r_ilce-6000_ilce-5100_ilce-5000_firmware_20141030.html

They say:

1. This Update has improved the time of turning power on, after downloading *

2. The application “Smart Remote Control” of the “PlayMemories Camera Apps”.

For me it is not clear, if 1. only the switch-on time has been improved or if also a new version of the smart remote control is included (sentence 2. additionally has it's own meaning?)

I have installed the update on the Alpha 6000. After the update the smart remote control has still version 3.00.

Ernst

so, is there any point to this firmware update if you do not have the Smart Remote Control app?

Each Alpha 6000 has the smart remote control app already pre-installed. But I think that the problem with the lag time appeared after updating this app once.

I do not recognize any difference compared to the situation when the camera was new.

Sony also says that it is only a minor update.

• 2 weeks later...

What we now need is a new FW for the A7 with the A7II enhancements which depend only on software. One maybe could be the 30% AF speed increase!  

Unfortunately, that will never happen.  If the A-7 were made by Fujifilm, with its Kaizen philosophy, we would have a firmware update with increased AF speed. But Sony won't do this since it is one of their selling points for the new A7 II.  Very frustrating.  They do not take the long view that customer satisfaction breeds loyalty, and hence more potential sales down the road. 

• 2 weeks later...

I recently purchased a Zeiss 12mm used lens from B&H at a 25% price reduction after reading reviews that it had problems focusing and did excessive searching.  I had the same problem when installed on my a7r, a7, and a6000 bodies.  After installing the 1.10 firmware update the problem seems to have been greatly reduced or gone away on all bodies.  Seems like the update was very useful for me, now if they could print a useful manual!