Hi, peoples I was wondering what the sharpest 50mm prime for the Sony A7s is. I've tried a few lenses below and I've listed them in what I believe is sharpest to least sharpest.

Canon 50mm f1.2 with Metabones

Samyang 50mm t1.5 with Metabones

Canon 24-105m f4 with Metabones (at 50mm)

Nikon 50mm f1.8g with Metabones

I haven't tried any Zeiss yet. None of my local camera stores stock them and in general have very limited Native Sony lenses in stock. The latest lens I tried was the Canon 50mm 1.2. I hired it from a local camera hire shop and found it worked really well for me. However is there anything better? I know there is the the whole Cine range but who can really afford them. I rally am quite interested to here people think of the Zeiss and any other options. Stefan Czech on Vimeo and Youtube looks like he is getting good results with various Zeiss lenses.

If you merely want sharpness:

The review consensus is that the Zeiss Otus is the sharpest 50mm available (presumably overkill), followed by the Sony FE 55mm.

Some say the FE 55mm's AF motor is a little noisy for video although I consider mine to be very quiet. It's focus ring isn't large like you'd want for video. And it has a rather clinical look (ie non-cinematic) - which I just see as a function of how sharp it is.

The FE55mm is outstanding, better than more expensive competitors in many ways, and produces great-looking video but I guess what I'm saying is sharpness might not be the overriding factor, especially on a 12MP camera.

I bought the Sigma 50mm f1.4 DG HSM ART. I almost went the Samyang 50mm t1.5 but thought I would go the Sigma and still have a very decent EF lens for photos when I eventually one day buy a Canon DSLR. I liked the Canon 50 f1.2 but a lot of forums and reviewers were raving about the Sigma doing a great job for a lot less than the 50L. One thing that annoys me a little is the Sigma 50mm 1.4 ART has a very short focus adjustment and its continuous, I knew this when I tried i had the floor stock in my hands. But it works with my Sony A7s and Metabones flawlessly! Also I can exchange lenses quicker with out having to remove adapters. Below are two screen caps and a photo taken with a Nikon D610 - 35mm f1.8g.

Second_Shooter_Forum_picture.jpg

Sigma_50mm_1_4_ART_Shogun_Second_Shooter

Sigma_50mm_1_4_ART_Shogun_Second_Shooter