Zeiss Batis 85mm f/1.8 Lens shipping?

peterbkk

Does anyone know when the Zeiss Batis 85mm f/1.8 Lens will be shipping? I thought it was originally planned for July. Some reviewers were playing with one back in early August. Now we are into September?

I wonder if it's a production issue or if they've found a problem that they are working on before releasing it.

Or maybe I'm just too impatient...

Regards

Peter

http://www.peterwalker.com

Hi Peter.  A couple of weeks ago, I wrote Zeiss and asked them the same question, and got a response back that indicated that demand had far outstripped production capacity and that current new orders were expected to ship within 3-4 months.  I shared that letter with SAR, who published it a couple of days later.  Within hours, I got a snarky (and I think uncalled-for) email from Zeiss telling me that I'd disclosed confidential information.  Really?  Anyhow, Andrea redacted the previous SAR post, and then coincidentally within 24 hours, Zeiss publicly posted basically what they'd told me in my email.  They also said that they'd increased production capacity and that early preorders would begin to ship within 4-6 weeks, depending on allocation and factors beyond their control, putting the onus on the retailer to provide further information. 

Obviously I'm impatient too, and I think Zeiss finds itself in an unexpected position that is negatively impacting sales and its image, but in the long run will be forgotten. 

Its already shipping!

But there is a production issue ... they did not make enough of them.

And since they don't actually make them, Cosina (or whoever) does, then they have to place an order and wait ... just like we place our order ... and wait.

I will place my order for the next Loxia a little earlier, perhaps it will arrive before the Batis 25 I ordered in late June? That would be nice    :D

Have been struggling with the same issue for the Batis 25mm F2 which I ordered from B&H in very early July. B&H had an initial July 15th arrival date then an Aug 15th and then the infamous "coming soon" date. Have written numerous times to both Zeiss and B&H and while not exactly pointing fingers at each other, delivery dates seem to be in the ether.  Hope it happens soon - have already lost two major opportunities where the 25mm would have been very helpful. In spite of the heavy demand, I do hope Zeiss doesn't take any production short cuts in producing the lens.

Its hard to be impressed. I want a quality wide angle lens, if Sony can deliver that then I probably will cancel my Batis 25 order. IIRC Sony still plans a few lenses for this year.

Hi Peter.  A couple of weeks ago, I wrote Zeiss and asked them the same question, and got a response back that indicated that demand had far outstripped production capacity and that current new orders were expected to ship within 3-4 months.  I

Absolute rubbish. Australia got something like 6 in July, none last month. That is not a demand issue, it's a supply problem.

Not including Zeiss in my future planning.

this is from "dear susan"

(My comment) I wish Zeiss would deliver the 85mm Batis they announced very long ago, and which I ordered months ago, rather than announce new lenses. Thank you.

(Pascal's reply) I asked Zeiss about this. Success on the Batis range has been overwhelming and they had not prepared enough stock. Measures have been taken and most orders will be honoured this month. I know how you feel though. But having used the 1.8/85 over these two days, I really think the wait will be worth it. The lens if very light and quick to focus in most situations. And image quality is really very good.

More here:

http://www.dearsusan.net/2015/09/11/400-mission-to-oberkochen-meeting-the-zeiss-team-and-the-new-milvus-range/

Totally agree with peterbkk. It is rude of both Zeiss and retail (in my case B&H), to keep us in limbo about delivery dates. You would think that at this point in time they could give us a definitive delivery date. Telling us there is a whole new line of lenses coming soon when they haven't kept their promise on the Batis lens only infuriates.  Very disappointed with both Zeiss and B&H.

There is one advantage with the long wait for the Batis 85. My post processing software (Capture One Pro 8) has already got the lens profile, so when I get the lens, should this happen, then I am ready to go.   :mellow:

Hey, that's a good idea Christer.  Let's try to think of all the POSITIVE impacts of this very annoying delay from Zeiss.

Here's my contribution: the delay is daily increasing my anger and, when it finally gets here, I will release the anger in one massive burst of artistic energy, shooting some really great images!    :P

Regards

Peter

I picked up my Batis 1.8/85 from my local Zeiss dealer Pro Photo in Portland, Oregon today.

I know many are waiting patiently, as I have been, but I do have a bit of bad news for me (and Zeiss).

Upon inspecting the lens I found a few dust specks behind the front element. Now I really was not looking for dust on the inside, rather dust on the surface before I placed a filter on this beautiful lens.

I have contacted the great people at Pro Photo and they are replacing it (I just have to wait till the next batch arrives).

Mine has arrived with Wex (UK), and should be delivered on Monday.

I ordered mine as soon as I saw the link on SonyAlpharumours, so should be one of the first to get them here. Wex misunderstood one of my customer service questions and thought I asked if one was available now:

These lenses are currently arriving at a rate of 1-2 per month so it is unfortunately difficult to give any definitive dates as we are constantly receiving new customer back orders so any lenses we receive and already allocated to current orders, so I would say we are unlikely to have any free stock available for a few weeks at least, if not months, unless the manufacturers increase their manufacturing production

I spoke with B&H yesterday to get an update on my late June order.  Customer Service said they are starting to get large shipments now (in the hundreds) at one time versus a few.  Unfortunately, they have a religious holiday Sunday until Oct 7th and no shipments will be made.  They will receive new warehouse arrivals, however.  So when they start making shipments again on Oct 8th, they feel they will have some back-orders to fill.  Certainly by late October there will be a lot of us Sony users happy with a new Batis lens.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone have an update on the status of the 85mm? I unfortunately just reserved mine on B&H for work (yes I know, WAY behind those who ordered months ago). Is there any update as to when they're shipping? I'm almost thinking of going with the 90mm Sony considering I'm needing it relatively soon for work, but know I will regret it when they finally ship. Arg!

I spoke with B&H yesterday to get an update on my late June order.  Customer Service said they are starting to get large shipments now (in the hundreds) at one time versus a few.  Unfortunately, they have a religious holiday Sunday until Oct 7th and no shipments will be made.  They will receive new warehouse arrivals, however.  So when they start making shipments again on Oct 8th, they feel they will have some back-orders to fill.  Certainly by late October there will be a lot of us Sony users happy with a new Batis lens.

You must have been talking to someone at B&H who cares.  I asked for an update on my Batis 85mm and Batis 25mm and received a copy-and-paste response:  

Thank you for contacting the Customer Service Department at B&H Photo Video and Pro Audio. 

I'm sorry to hear about the delay you are experiencing with your order. 

Unfortunately, at this time we do not have any concrete information when we will have more of these in stock. We have received some shipments, but it is being released in limited quantities by the manufacturer. 

We fulfill all orders in the same order as they were received. I wish I had more detailed information for you but at this time that is all that we know. 

I am sorry for any inconvenience this may cause, please be assured your order will be shipped as we continue to receive stock.  

We thank you in advance for your patience and understanding.

So, if they did receive some "large shipments", it was clearly not enough to fill backorders that have been on the list since the beginning of August.

Regards

Peter