Hello,

I am looking to upgrade from a Nex 5n that I have had for a few years. The 5n works pretty well, but I have been having some minor issues with it and the 16.1 megapixels is too small for enlarging prints to the size I like. I am considering upgrading to the a6000 or the a7. Thoughts? I mostly shoot landscapes and cityscapes. I have both the Sony 18-55 and 55-210 lens from the 5n; any other lens you recommend.

Thanks so much! 

If you go to the A7. the lenses you have are not very helpful. Don't underestimate the Nex 7, will come on sale again soon. I just got the A7Rll, and 3 nice FF lenses, but I am not going to unload the 2 Nex 7s that I have, I have for the Nex, the 18-55, 30, 50 and 55-210. The Nex 7 is a tank!! Excellent piece of equipment, don't underestimate the 7:) I would suggest a prime for your ASP-C, 30, 35 or 50, all 3 are top performers at a budget price!

Just a thought. If you find your current setup doesn't give you enough resolution, perhaps it's not the sensor's fault but the lenses. I don't know about the 55-200 but the 18-55 is not particularly great outside of the center of the frame (especially at 18mm). Perhaps it's the lens that is the limiting factor and even if it isn't on 16MP, it definitely will be when you go to 24MP.

If you go to the A7. the lenses you have are not very helpful. Don't underestimate the Nex 7, will come on sale again soon. I just got the A7Rll, and 3 nice FF lenses, but I am not going to unload the 2 Nex 7s that I have, I have for the Nex, the 18-55, 30, 50 and 55-210. The Nex 7 is a tank!! Excellent piece of equipment, don't underestimate the 7:) I would suggest a prime for your ASP-C, 30, 35 or 50, all 3 are top performers at a budget price!

Thanks for the info. Ill take a look at those options.

Just a thought. If you find your current setup doesn't give you enough resolution, perhaps it's not the sensor's fault but the lenses. I don't know about the 55-200 but the 18-55 is not particularly great outside of the center of the frame (especially at 18mm). Perhaps it's the lens that is the limiting factor and even if it isn't on 16MP, it definitely will be when you go to 24MP.

Oh ok, I did not know that. Are you saying that the Sony 18-55 will produce worse results on a 24MP a6000?

Thanks

Thanks for the info. Ill take a look at those options.

Oh ok, I did not know that. Are you saying that the Sony 18-55 will produce worse results on a 24MP a6000?

Thanks

No, it won't be worse but it won't be much better either. You will get 24 million pixels but there probably won't be 24 million pixels worth of details. A bit like if you took you 16MP images and upscaled them to 24MP. I mean there will likely be some small improvement but not as much as you'd expect just looking at the numbers. You need a good lens and use it at its best aperture to squeeze out as much resolution as a 24MP APS-C sensor is capable of.

No, it won't be worse but it won't be much better either. You will get 24 million pixels but there probably won't be 24 million pixels worth of details. A bit like if you took you 16MP images and upscaled them to 24MP. I mean there will likely be some small improvement but not as much as you'd expect just looking at the numbers. You need a good lens and use it at its best aperture to squeeze out as much resolution as a 24MP APS-C sensor is capable of.

Oh ok, I see. I am looking for a good lens that works well for landscape photography. Perhaps I should also consider used ones to save $$? Thanks.

It's usable. f/2, ISO1600-3200 and time around 20s usually makes a good exposure where stars remain dots. You can't do that with an f/4 lens most nights at most locations unless you use crazy high ISO or have a motorized platform. So if you're after milky way shots then yes, it's a good lens and actually a better choice than the much more expensive 10-18/4 zoom.

One of my attempts:

19082508040_c0e3aff600_c.jpgNEX6_0002_3841 by Miran Amon, on Flickr

There are many much better ones in the Samyang 12/2.0 flickr group. ;)

Are you into low light and stuff. Full frame will be better.

If not. Then the A6000 is great, esp paired with a 10-18 for landscapes. Best part. 12-16mm this lens works native(without cropping) on full frame too.

I migrated from nex-5n to a Sony A7. Its my primary landscape cam, and the additional dynamic range and low noise helps because I love shooting the night sky at high ISO

Are you into low light and stuff. Full frame will be better.

If not. Then the A6000 is great, esp paired with a 10-18 for landscapes. Best part. 12-16mm this lens works native(without cropping) on full frame too.

I migrated from nex-5n to a Sony A7. Its my primary landscape cam, and the additional dynamic range and low noise helps because I love shooting the night sky at high ISO

I don't typically do low light, was just wondering. Thanks for the info.