Sony A7 II and Nauticam NA-A7II housing review

PHIL RUDIN

My review for the Sony A7 II and Nauticam NA-A7II housing is now ready for download at UwP = Your free Underwater Photography Magazine | Home page. This is a Free PDF download for the next two months.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Hi Phil

Great review in UWPMag... Thanks. It is helpful.

Indeed, being a long time Minolta users, now playing Sony, I am currently shooting UW with a Sony Alpha 850 DSLR (Full Frame) in a BS-Kinetics housing...

I am considering moving to mirrorless and the Sony A7 Rii looks so attarctive and so expensive...

Anyway, I am ready to jump...

However, 3 questions to you

- what is your experience with the 28mm and the 16mm FE converter ?

- have used any A-mount lens with the LA-EA3 adaptor in the housing

- do you have any feedback using old Nikonos lens (I still gave, dust free, the fabulous UW Nikor 15 mm...)

Thanks

Eric

Hi Eric,

Thank you for your acknowledgment and good to hear the article was helpful.

I have been shooting underwater since 1968 so I have worked my way through many systems always  taking a system approach to what I invest in. Also being Senior Reviewer for uwpmag.com has given me a chance to use lots of equipment that was not my own. 

This is my first move into Sony full frame cameras and I am moving quite slowely regarding lens purchases for this system. To answer your questions first I have not yet used the 28mm above or below water so have no experience with that lens. I moved from fifteen years as a Nikonos RS user to Olympus E-1 then all the way through to EM-1 before moving to Sony. I have not at this time used any of the lens adapters and have looked only at FE lenses for my current system.

I have used the Nauticam housings and adapter for Nikonos lenses with NEX cameras but not on FF. Results are as you would expect from a lens designed for film and would not exceed or in some cases reach the results you would get from the 16-35 zoom and Nauticam 180mm optical glass dome.

One of the things I really like about the Nauticam housing is that it supports both A7 II and A7R II (and fingers crossed A7S II). This is a big upside for me as I always travel with a backup camera for topside travel shots and in the event of the dreaded "F" word. This allows me to use an A7 II as backup and the A7R II as primary UW camera.

Again I am very happy with the results from the 90mm macro and the 16-35 and I expect my next step will be a fisheye or fisheye zoom.