! LENS Invalid with this lens - 2 Sony A7R II and 3 Metabones IV adapter for Canon EFl lenses

EmilyT

HI All,

I'm on my second Sony Ar7II nd 3rd Metabones  Canon EF Lens to Sony E Mount Smart Adapter (Mark IV)I in 3 weeks and I still keep getting this message  "! LENS Invalid with this lens" when I press on the button on the wheel with any f2.8 len EF lens attached (tried 4). I have tried upgrading the firmware but it hasn't uploaded the the new version on any of the 3 adapters because it  says OK in green.  I asume the adapters are updated to the newest VO.41 version because there isnt  any uploading going  to the adapter. The only thing I can think of is I possibly have the wrong USB cable (Iused the one that came with the new Sony camera) but it seems to fit well and says connected.

Any thoughts would be deeply apreciated. Sony doesn't have a clue, Camera store doesn't and Metabones is so difficult to communicate with  . . . all they say by email is to send it back  but like I said has happened to all three adapters.

Thanks much,

Emily

"! LENS Invalid with this lens" when I press on the button on the wheel

Do you mean the Center Button in the middle of the Control Wheel?  Isn't that set to Eye-AF by default?  Hard for me to remember since it's been a few weeks since I remapped all my buttons, but my gut says that was set to Eye-AF from the factory.  (?)

Anyway, check your Custom Key Settings (Gear tab, screen 7).  On the first screen of the Custom Key Settings, you'll see what that button is mapped to.  It's at the bottom, called "Center Button".  If it's set to Eye-AF, that's why you're getting that message.  Nothing to do with the adapter.  Eye-AF is only usable with native E-mount AF lenses.  Map it to something else.  I've also come from Canon, and I mapped that button to focus settings, so I click that to either move the flexible spot, or to change focus modes

HI All,

I'm on my second Sony Ar7II nd 3rd Metabones  Canon EF Lens to Sony E Mount Smart Adapter (Mark IV)I in 3 weeks and I still keep getting this message  "! LENS Invalid with this lens" when I press on the button on the wheel with any f2.8 len EF lens attached (tried 4). I have tried upgrading the firmware but it hasn't uploaded the the new version on any of the 3 adapters because it  says OK in green.  I asume the adapters are updated to the newest VO.41 version because there isnt  any uploading going  to the adapter. The only thing I can think of is I possibly have the wrong USB cable (Iused the one that came with the new Sony camera) but it seems to fit well and says connected.

Any thoughts would be deeply apreciated. Sony doesn't have a clue, Camera store doesn't and Metabones is so difficult to communicate with  . . . all they say by email is to send it back  but like I said has happened to all three adapters.

Thanks much,

Emily

You can see the adapter Version on the Toolbox menu of the camera.  If the adapter and lens are installed and working properly, the Version screen will show the camera firmware version and the adapter version.  If the adapter is not at 0.41 the camera USB cable works just fine with the adapter.

Are you installing the adapter and lens properly:

- with camera off, install the Metabones adapter

- turn the camera on

- install the lens

- check the version screen.  If the lens version is showing up, you're good to go!

If you don't follow the above procedure the 1st time you install the adapter and lens, the adapter may not register the lens and you've won't have an automatic lens.

There are quite a few A7R II features that simply do not work with 3rd party lenses.  The msg. you're getting is simply showing you the feature is not available.

bwa

• 2 years later...

Hi,

This is probably not a related issue as I had it on A6500, but might help. I discovered that in my case it's all about Sony's naming convention. In new cameras they use Hybrid Detection instead of phase detection name and fail to mention it any where.

I made a video about that. I hope that helps a bit, even though it does not necessarily apply to your camera:

https://youtu.be/2rqRmwJAAX0

Cheers

Kamil