A7r II and Metabones iv

Looking to others whom have the A7rII and the Metabones iv for Canon lens for some dialogue on getting the most out of the Canon lens on the A7rII.  

I'm having some success in the area of image quality with manual focus.  Predominately shooting at iso 100 through to 400.

Lens brought over from Canon is the newer 70-200 f 2.8 II and a 25 Tilt and Shift.  Both of these are beautiful glass and would like to use them predominately in landscape, city scape and with the 70-200 some portraiture. Focusing is definitely not quick as Sony's own (which I have the 35 1.4, 50 1.8 and the 70-200 f4).

Would like to hear others experience with the above adapter.  

Thank you

Jim

I have the Metabones III & IV; both are essentially the same operationally; however, the IV has slightly better flocking and its firmware is user upgradable.

I use both adapters with all my Canon lenses, a Sigma 150-500mm and a couple of Tamron lenses.  Both work very well with Canon and Sigma lenses; not so well with my older Tamron lenses.

I find autofocus with Canon lenses on the A7R II to be about the same speed as using the lenses on my Canon body but not quite as fast as native Sony lenses (I own the FE 28-70, FE 24-240 and FE 70-200).  My Canon 24-105 L, 70-200 f/2.8 L, 200 f/2.8 L and Sigma 150-500 work very well and will be the 3rd party lenses I use the most often with the A7R II.  The FE 28-70 normally stays on my A7SI and the FE 24-240 is normally on the A7R II.  The FE 70-200, although expensive, is not my favorite lens; soft on the edges and in the corners.  It gets left on my A7 II, essentially as a safe place to keep it.  The FE 24-240, half the price, yields better image quality!  The Canon 70-200 f/2.8 also yields better image quality than Sony's FE 70-200 but has a touch slower autofocus.  The A7R II's 

I also use several 3rd party lenses with manual adapters; Canon FD, Pentax, Minolta, Sigma, Tamron, M42 & T2.  Focus Magnify and Focus Peaking greatly assist with manual focusing BUT whenever possible I much prefer autofocus!

I do have Commlite, Fotodiox and King automatic EF->E-mount adapters.  They all work with newer Canon lenses but are semi-unreliable with older Canon lenses, and Sigma and Tamron lenses; lost connection, hangs, jitters, changed camera settings, not there when you need it, etc.

A few notes on settings.  These are ones I like but they may not be the best for you and/or other users but you should know they exist:

- Focus mode: AF-S for slow moving or stationary targets.  AF-C for faster moving targets.

- Focus Area: Center

- Focus Magnif. Time: No Limit

- Peaking Level/Color: Mid/Yellow

- Disp. Cont AF Area & Phase Detect Area: Both On

- Pre-AF: On

- Priority Set in AF-S & Priority Set in AF-C: Both to AF (Balance Emphasis is the default)

Also, remember to configure IBIS (in-body image stabilization) for the 3rd party lens mounted.

Just my observations...

bwa

P.S.:  I just returned from shooting all day in the mountains with a Canon 24-105 L, Metabones IV and Sony A7R II.  Performed flawlessly!!

Looking to others whom have the A7rII and the Metabones iv for Canon lens for some dialogue on getting the most out of the Canon lens on the A7rII.  

I'm having some success in the area of image quality with manual focus.  Predominately shooting at iso 100 through to 400.

Lens brought over from Canon is the newer 70-200 f 2.8 II and a 25 Tilt and Shift.  Both of these are beautiful glass and would like to use them predominately in landscape, city scape and with the 70-200 some portraiture. Focusing is definitely not quick as Sony's own (which I have the 35 1.4, 50 1.8 and the 70-200 f4).

Would like to hear others experience with the above adapter.  

Thank you

Jim

One other thing I forgot to mention.  It is recommended you attached the Metabones adapter with the camera off, then turn on the camera and attach the lenses (with the camera on).  Apparently this insures the Metabones properly "registers" the lens.  I've had occasions when I attach both the Metabones adapter and lens with the camera off and when I turn on the camera the adapter thinks there is no lens attached, i.e.: it doesn't work!

bwa

Thank you bwa.  Your recommendation to mount the Metabones with camera off, turn on camera, mount lens is something I will try tonight.  I have to date being mounting the MB to the lens and then mounting to the camera while its off.  Upon turning the camera on the aperture not always reading correctly or if at all.   

Excellent suggestions that I will get to try out next week on holidays.  Doing the Jasper to Banff run.  

Thank you bwa.  Your recommendation to mount the Metabones with camera off, turn on camera, mount lens is something I will try tonight.  I have to date being mounting the MB to the lens and then mounting to the camera while its off.  Upon turning the camera on the aperture not always reading correctly or if at all.   

Excellent suggestions that I will get to try out next week on holidays.  Doing the Jasper to Banff run.  

I have to give credit for the installation instructions to Jordan at The Camera Store in Calgary.  I thought the Metabones IV was a dud when I couldn't get it working; drove 1-1/2 hours into Calgary to exchange it...  Guess what, the unit worked. It was me that was faulty (although I didn't see any instructions with the unit?).  The Metabones III, which I also have, doesn't work the same way.

Good luck with the run.  I rode the route on a bike a few (actually a lot of) years ago...

bwa