Upgrading from 6D / 5DMkIII + adapting EF lenses.

Please don't post if you don't have either of these.

I'm looking for feedback / information on people who switched from 5D/6D AND adapting some of the Canon lenses using Metabones Mk IV.

1. How's the autofocus from 5D to A7RM2?  I've placed my order for a7rM2 but i won't get mine for 3-4 weeks.

2. How is the focus on adapting the following lenses?

• Canon 24-70mm USM II 2.8
  • Canon 70-200mm USM II 2.8
    • Anyone test with 2X TC III?
  • Canon 85mm 1.8
  • Sigma 35mm Art
  • Sigma 50mm Art

I purposesly didn't buy any lenses for A7RM2 I'm going to play the waiting game to see what Sony and Zeiss comes out with...

I appreciate the feedback! I haven't been this excited about a camera since...  i don't remember.

Hi,

I use a Canon 26-35 f4 and a Canon 24-70 f2.8 Mk2 - both are blisteringly sharp on a Sony A7Rm2 and auto focus is fast and accurate despite using the cheaper FotoDiox adaptor ( which I can fully recommend)

James

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Coming from a Canon 5D MkII

I'm using these three lenses with the Metabones IV adapter. Some features can't be enabled--Focus Magnification for example, which was not available at all on the 5D II. Auto focus is as quick as on the 5D II. Manual focus with focus peaking is better by far than MF on the 5D II, which has focus peaking only with Magic Lantern. No problems so far, but just getting started. I'm very happy with the switch so far.

I've posted my findings elsewhere, but might as well copy/paste it here too.  I don't have any of your last 3 lenses, but...

24Lii:  Brilliant.  Locks on to everything, even using the smallest spot.  Just as fast as on my 5D3, but exponentially more accurate and consistent.  I've always adored this lens, but it misfocused so often wide open.  This lens is a rock star on the R2

100L Macro: Totally unusable AF.  Can't lock on to anything.

24-70 f/2.8 ii:  Fast and accurate at almost all times, at the wider end of the zoom range.  Count on consistency from 24mm up to around 50mm.  Once you're up in the 60-70mm range, it starts to get more hit and miss.  Will sometimes lock on without any issues, and other times will just hunt back and forth.

70-200 f/2.8 ii:  Much the same as the 24-70.  Fast and accurate, but results start to get more hit and miss once you pass the 135 mark.

With both of those zooms, that not to say they never lock on when zoomed all the way in.  They often do, but then you'll try a different target and it just hunts, with no apparent rhyme or reason. 

85L ii:  This one has surprised me.  I expected AF on metabones to be HORRIBLE, as it can be sorta slow and hunty on Canon bodies.  It's actually not bad at all.  Very accurate, and locks on well.  I wouldn't call it "fast", if you've got the 85L, you know it's not fast in the first place.  Every now and then it has trouble in dim light or areas with very little contrast, but for the most part it's pretty solid.  Also, gotta say, manual focusing at f/1.2, focus peaking is shockingly effective, because there's such rapid fall off of detail, you really can see where that focus is falling  

135L:  Totally unusable AF.  Either hunts endlessly, or just gives up and sits there.  MF'ing at f/2 is very easy though

40mm Pancake:  Quick, reliable, nails everything.

Some of the early "preview" videos seemed to want to paint the R2/metabones combo as the answer to everyone's dreams, perfect performance, yada yada.  It's not perfect.  Compared to adapted lenses on almost any other camera body available, it's amazing.  But it's not a situation where every lens performs exactly as well or better as on Canon bodies. (some do all the time, some do at certain FL's, some don't at all)

One thing I keep trying to remind myself of, however, is that I'm getting almost twice the pixels that I get with my 5D3.  So if I'm shooting with the 70-200, I try to remind myself to not always feel the need to zoom all the way in if it's a make or break shot.  e.g. A shot at 120mm, that it nails right away, can be cropped in even tighter than a properly framed 200mm shot on the 5D3.  Still though, that's sort of a justification... it'd be nice if it would just nail everything at all times, even when zoomed in to 200mm, but you work with what you've got.  Performance is very dependent on the adapter, so hopefully Metabones will keep experimenting with the formula.  

My biggest gripe with the Metabones, honestly, is ergonomic.  I've got long fingers, and the knuckles of my middle and ring finger end up resting against the sharp knurled ring of the adapter, leaving my knuckles feeling scratched/raw after a lot of use.  I keep meaning to gaff tape that side of it, but... you'd think someone might have thought of that over at Metabones

Some features can't be enabled--Focus Magnification for example, which was not available at all on the 5D II. 

This is not accurate.  You can enable focus magnification for use in MF mode.  You just have to map it to one of your buttons.

Hurray mine came in.

I'm a little shocked that I can choot in WIDE AF and most of my lenses work.  I thought the phase detect was supposed to be limited to flex spots on third party lenses?

ok so firstly...

I've customized all the settings and changed C3 to back button AF, this seems like a better natural spot then the AF/MF button.  I've tried all the focus modes and coming from a Canon only thing i miss is the nipple focus selector.

Also, i didn't think Face Detection would work with 3rd party lense but it is working well.

• Works fantastic, nails everything till it gets near the 70mm, i'd say gets to about 70% @ 70mm in dimmer lighting conditions.
    • Same, reliable but gets hunty at the end.  setting the 2.5m - ∞ helps out a lot.
    • with 2X TC III
      • much worse, @ 400mm, it is atrocious.  Luckly, MF with peaking is working out awsome.
  • Canon 85mm 1.8
    • Garbage, it works 20% of the time. Luckly I'll be ordering the BATIS 85mm soon.
  • Sigma 35mm Art 1.4
    • Works awesome, but I rarely use this anymore, I think it's time to sell this one.
  • Sigma 50mm Art 1.4
    • Works awesome, I've read that this doesn't work at all but much to my surprise, it performs very well.

In order to use the A7RII's focus magnification with my canon lenses, I boot the Metabones adapter into its advanced mode and then I lose autofocus until I revert to the Metabones green mode.  Is this correct?  Can't I have autofocus and then go to manual focus (e.g. by selecting MF on the lens) and get magnification without remounting the adapter?

I hope this made sense.  I am not too happy with switching Metabones modes.

Overall, I am having pretty good luck with much of my collection of newer Canon lenses.  My trio of the 16-35 f4 L, the 24-70 f2.8 L II, and the 70-200 f4 L IS all work great. The telephoto focuses pretty well with the 1.4x converter.

One that disappoints is the 35mm f1.4L.  This lens seems to autofocus fine up to the first shot.  After the shot, the system is stuck in manual mode until I remount the lens.  Can I be doing something wrong?

Thanks for any help.  This is my first post as I got my body last week.  I may have missed a prior post on this topic.

Mike.

I believe that the original poster asked about the 70-200 F2.8 with 2x converter.

I tried the Canon 70-200 F2.8 II IS versus the Canon 70-200 F4 IS on the A7RII with Metabones.  The F2.8 seems balky to me.  The autofocus on the F4 seems better.  Even with the 1.4x converter, I think the F4 focuses faster.  The F2.8 with 2X converter cannot autofocus (hunts forever) at long focal lengths.

Mike

In order to use the A7RII's focus magnification with my canon lenses, I boot the Metabones adapter into its advanced mode and then I lose autofocus until I revert to the Metabones green mode.  Is this correct?  Can't I have autofocus and then go to manual focus (e.g. by selecting MF on the lens) and get magnification without remounting the adapter?

I hope this made sense.  I am not too happy with switching Metabones modes.

Overall, I am having pretty good luck with much of my collection of newer Canon lenses.  My trio of the 16-35 f4 L, the 24-70 f2.8 L II, and the 70-200 f4 L IS all work great. The telephoto focuses pretty well with the 1.4x converter.

One that disappoints is the 35mm f1.4L.  This lens seems to autofocus fine up to the first shot.  After the shot, the system is stuck in manual mode until I remount the lens.  Can I be doing something wrong?

Thanks for any help.  This is my first post as I got my body last week.  I may have missed a prior post on this topic.

Mike.

Hy, I also switched from Canon (5dmk2) to Sony (A7Rmk2) and would also be very intrested in an answer to these two questions.

Sideinfo: Sigma 50/1.4 Art Autofocus very fast, Sigma 35/1.4 Art as well, but also the remount problem. 24-70/2.8 Tamron VC very fast but hunts as soons as there isn't  a lot of light. The remount and the adaptermode change method is quite problematic IMO since the A7R2 sensor really likes to get dirty (check your sensors @f22 its horrible). 

UPDATE After FW update to Metabones.

Updates in BOLD

General feeling: All canon lense are working faster with better focus at the max range on the zooms.

All sigma lenses are performing better, and minor bug fixed.  e.g: The 35mm 1.4 sigma had an issue where if you manual focus override, it'll get stuck in MF mode even after you set the camera back to AF-X.  it required removing the lense completely and restarting it.  this issue is gone now.

• Works fantastic, nails everything till it gets near the 70mm, i'd say gets to about 70% @ 70mm in dimmer lighting conditions.
    • Update: Works better @ 70mm.  IQ compared to Sony FE 24-70 F4 is not even close.  the focus speed is CLOSE! only thing missing is Eye AF.
    • Same, reliable but gets hunty at the end.setting the 2.5m - ∞ helps out a lot.
    • Update: 200mm range much better!
    • with 2X TC III
      • much worse, @ 400mm, it is atrocious.Luckly, MF with peaking is working out awsome.
      • Update: 400mm still bad, but using WIDE AF seems better.
  • Canon 85mm 1.8
    • Garbage, it works 20% of the time. Luckly I'll be ordering the BATIS 85mm soon.
    • Update: IT WORKS! and FAST!! finally!
  • Sigma 35mm Art 1.4
    • Works awesome, but I rarely use this anymore, I think it's time to sell this one.
    • Update: Works and the MF mode getting stuck is fixed!
  • Sigma 50mm Art 1.4
    • Works awesome, I've read that this doesn't work at all but much to my surprise, it performs very well.
    • Update: It doesn't "hunt" but it ticks to lock fine focus.  this wasn't happening before.  I'd imagine i'll see less shots that missed critical focus.

• 1 month later...

I received my copy of the adapter from BH on Thursday morning. It was autofocusing and functioning as it should have until last night when it suddenly stopped. It now shows "MF" on the LCD of my Sony A7RII with all of the lenses I have tried. I have reset the camera settings, mounted and unmounted the adapter from the body, the lens from the adapter, verified the FW version is 45. Still no luck.

The lenses tried are a Canon 70-200/2.8 MKII, Canon 35/2 IS, Canon 50L, Zeiss Contax N Conurus converted 50/1.4, and Tamron 24-70/2.8 VC. All of these lenses were working perfectly until last night.

Please help! Thank you in advance.