Lens advice

bo31210

I will go with the 50 f1.8, but it's only my opinion and I'm not a "pro"

Because 50 is OK for street photography, f1.8 allow you to shoot even in low light, and if you have to put more effort in your composition with 50mm than with 30mm, you also have a greater deep of field with the 50 mm f1.8 which is very useful when you take photos in the streets.

And I'm sure someone can give you as many reason to justify that you should go with the 30mm f2.8 (which clearly, will be also very suitable for street photography) :)

• 1 month later...

If you're using an APS-C camera like a NEX or something, you'll have to deal with the 1.5x crop factor, so the Sigma 30mm would give a 45mm-equivalent frame of view more like a 60's/70's rangefinder. Not that the 50mm 1.8 isn't useful, it would make a great portrait lens or for tighter shots, but might be more limiting compared to the 30mm. Personally, I'd get both :P but if you're starting out I'd start with the 30mm and go from there. There's also a 35mm 1.8 E-mount from Sony that's worth considering if you're worried about light gathering. Hope that helps.

I used the Sigma when I was travelling around Japan last year. The lens is very light and small and your Nex+lens will fit in a pocket.  The results are pretty good and as mentioned above, the crop factor makes it an almost 50mm lens.

However, the Zeiss 24mm produces better results. The streets of Japan can be colourful and the Zeiss does an exceptional job.

I also have the 50mm 1.8 and its too long for street stuff, at least for me. It is also larger and shiny silver (unless you have the black edition)

Another advantage of the Sigma is that it is a matt black colour. On the front of my Nex7 and hanging around my neck wearing a black tshirt, it is hard to see the camera. The sigma is more stealthy.

• 3 months later...

I'll have to agree, that although the 50mm f/1.8 Sony is a fine lens for portraiture or subjects where you need more reach, the crop factor makes it too long for much of street photography, unless you are shooting candid or set-up portraits or need to get closer. Personally, I like long zooms, so much of my shooting on my a6000 is with the SEL18200.

• 2 weeks later...

I had the 50 1.8 first and it was just too long for street photography. I was looking at the sigma 30 or the sony 28. I went with the 28 for both the wider angle and the extra stop. I know that's more money than you probably want to spend, but it's a great lens for my a6000.

I think the clear winner here is the sel 24 , its expensive but its around 35mm on fullframe which is best suited for street photography. It's also good in lowlight / night shots.

Sel 35 < sigma 30 when it comes to corner sharpness , based on reviews on  youtube but it's up to you. Sel 35 beats sigma for lowlight and bokehlicious , plus it has OSS.

Sel 50 < very sharp lens, good bokeh and lowlight pictures but it might not be the best lens for street photography. Especially because of the space needed to get good shots, while for the sel 35 / sigma 30 / and sel 24, you can get good wide angle shots with it.