birds in flight with the A7R/II

I was walking by the Thames, practicing with my newly bought,  second hand  one,  and, while  photographing sailboats, caught several seagulls in flight,  they  appear sharp enough.

Some were with the sony  18 - 200 and some were with the  sony 35 mm.

For proper birdwatching, I suppose you would need  a  more dedicated lens, than I have.

As then, the results can only be superior to what I have caught.

Good Luck

Wally

Well...shooting seabirds for the first time, with the A7Rii + Sony 70-200 F4, left me satisfied overall: 130/600 in focus and probably 20 ideal shots.

But this is certainly not it's forté: disadvantages include average AF speed, limited buffer, full frame (i.e. less telephoto) sensor size, as well as there only being 3 suitable lenses - 240mm max.

As far as I can tell the A6000 will perform similarly, whereas top of the range crop-sensored DSLRs (D7200, 7D) will be noticeably better at one third to one half the cost.

This is the area Sony mirrorless is furthest behind. Maybe the A6100 will surprise us, but at current rates it will be a couple of years before they're comparable to the industry leaders.

You might be interested in:

http://www.mirrorlessons.com/2015/08/28/sony-a7r-ii-autofocus-with-sigma-lenses/

I own the A7S, A7R, A7 II and recently acquired the A7R II.  I've shot birds-in-flight with the FE 24-240 and FE 70-200 on the Sony A7 II with some success; however, the A7R II is a huge improvement.  I can now use my Sigma 150-500 and Tamron 28-300 (both EOS mount) with a Metabones III/IV adapter on the A7R II with about the same autofocus speed as on my Canon 60D body, with improved image quality (due to resolution, dynamic range and image stabilization).  The Sigma 150-500 also works quite nicely under low light conditions.  The Tamron, not so much!

The following was shot with the FE 24-240 on an A7 II.  I could push the ISO a bit higher on the A7R II and use a faster exposure for a better image, and the autofocus would be faster.

Out%2526About%2B-%2B2015Apr26-2.jpg

Camera ILCE-7M2 Lens FE 24-240mm F3.5-6.3 OSS Focal Length 240 mm Exposure 1/640 F Number f/10 ISO 400 Camera make SONY

I could probably get faster autofocus with a newer Canon body but the Sony A7 series of cameras allows me use all my Canon EF & FD, Pentax, Minolta, Sigma, Tamron, M42 and T2 mount lenses with at least, if not better, image quality than with an OEM body.  That is my trade-off.

I've also tried several automatic EF->E-mount adapters; Metabones, Commlite, Fotodiox and King.  The Metabones, although the most expensive, works the best across all my lenses.  The other adapters don't particularly like older Canon lenses, Sigma or Tamron, with hangs, jitters, lost connections, missed focus, etc.  All automatic EF->E-mount adapters that I've tested work very well with newer Canon lenses; the Canon 24-105 L is a joy to use!

Of course, if you coming from Sony A, I understand Sony A lenses adapted to A7 series cameras give excellent performance. This is hearsay since I don't own any Sony A lenses...

bwa

• 3 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...