Focus Magnification and 3rd party lenses

PhilC

I am sure this is possible, but I can't get it to work

I mount a Pentax 645 lens to my A7Rii using a 645 to Sony adapter, but when I press the magnification button it tells me the lens is not connected properly or the lens isn't supported

Is this possible and if so how?

Thanks

Phil

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Unless this is some kind of bug, or the adapter covering the wrong contacts on the lens mount, my guess is that you may have the start of the magnification set onto the AF/MF button on the back of the camera.

If that's the case, then be sure that the toggle switch surrounding said button is on the AEL position, and not on the AF/MF otherwise the magnification will not work.

I have an A7r mk I, and if I do this mistake the magnification simply doesn't start; maybe with the A7r mk II they decided to add some kind of error message.

If you see something on the display or in the viewfinder when your camera is turned on and you have mounted a manual lens, then you are OK to start with. (If not, see reply above.)

Next step is to find out which button activates the enlarge function.  Press the Menu button, go to menu #2 "Custom", then select Page 6 and the "Custom Key Setting". Go through the whole lot to see where Enlarge is.

Alternatively put it wherever you want; I have put it on the AF/MF button. If you do this, pressing the button will show you what area will be enlarged (can be moved), press once more for 7x and twice for 14x enlarge. Works very well.

OK - got it all working now :-)

My problem was trying to use the default C3 button to zoom the viewfinder (Focus Mode), which gave the error.   Once I started to use Focus Settings (now C2) it allows zooming in perfectly on these lenses.  So newbie error and I must learn all these different settings!

Must say, the Pentax 645 lenses are brilliant on the A7Rii - not too bulky with the adapter, and very sharp :-) 

Phil