What lenses to get - an assessment on my photography - weird!

I've made a few posts here regarding my likely switch from Canon dslr to a Sony A7 (something) likely A7rii or A7sii when it arrives. The reason for this is I shoot a 1 series body with the 24-70L pretty much welded on and I also shoot video with a camcorder which makes for a pretty hefty bag when out and about. My aim is to consolidate the 2 into 1 superb machine. I've commented on my disappointment with Sony's offering of the 24-70 based on reviews so have been looking at a host of alternatives such as the 2 Batis primes, the Sony 16-35 and the great Sony 55.

Seeing as I shoot both stills and video, a zoom would be ideal for tinkering with framing, but a big play here is image quality which I strive for, hence me considering the better, if not so convenient primes.

I had a look at the focal lengths I shot stills with over the last 2 years in Adobe Bridge and I must say I'm rather embarrassed. Based on the 24-70 lens, 50% of my shots are evenly at either end of the zoom, the rest tend to be fairly evenly distributed but weighted towards the wide end. This suggests to me if I had 2 primes say the Batis 25 and 85, I'd hardly miss the middle I've had the luxury of for years.

Saying that, this isn't taking into account my video, but in all reality I know I shoot wide most of the time for that anyway - probably the 35mm equivalent of about 35mm.

The point to this - none really other than I'm a bit shocked at my inability to do anything other than rack the zoom ring to either end......

Looking at your past catalog stats is definitely the best way to make such decisions. Findings like yours are commonplace.

If quality really is paramount then those two primes would certainly provide better results that what you're currently used to. Being larger than most Sony lenses however, note that (combined) they are just as heavy as your zoom.

Sony's forthcoming f2.8 24-70 will in all respects be very similar to (ie provide no benefits over) your current lens, so primes probably are the way to go.

They probably won't be as restrictive for video as might first appear:

All A7 series offer video recording in Crop mode, and with a 4K-capable model cropped in post to 1080p, the 25mm and 85mm will provide effective ranges of 25, 38, 50, 85, 128 and 170mm even before all the digital zoom options.

Of course, your current 24-70 will work adequately if you choose the A7Rii, but if you want to sell it or to get all the extra features like EyeAF you could consider the very cheap 28-70mm since video is less demanding of quality than photos.

I hear what you're saying. When the 24-70 2.8 Sony comes out I will be awaiting the reviews...... I just hope it is a cracker. Looking at my past focal lengths is very telling and I'm sure I would be fine with the 2 Batis primes, but just that extra convenience of a simple twist of the zoom ring is hard to beat compared to a lens change and having to carry both lenses.

Primes will win for best image quality, which I am indeed after......... but please Sony, make the new 24-70 a winner at each end of the zoom!