Take flight!

Sony A7Rii -  70-400mm F4-5.6 G SSM II - LA-EA3

1/1600th | f5.6 | iso4000 | 400mm

DSC00248-Edit-L.jpg

A Pied Cormorant lifts off from a rock at Taroona Beach, Hobart Tasmania.

Using the 5 frames per second of the A7Rii - a high ISO to freeze the action.  I used AF-C and it tracked the bird well at 400mm in this good morning light.

I have to say I am fortunate and thrilled to have a camera that can be used for action shots again.  I missed this since moving from the 5D3.

Hi Jeff. May I ask, are you still happy with this combo? How would you compare the AF to your 5DIII? .  I'm a 4 month a year birder and 8 month a year landscape shooter so I really want the A7RII for landscape and I would be thrilled if there was combination that would let me use it for birds as well, and not have to buy a separate body just for that. (makes the $3200.00 price tag a little easier to swallow too). Thanks

Hi - yes still pretty happy with it.  I took it out yesterday in low light to photograph my daughter running.  The continuous focus tracking was very good and worked really well - until I tried to use flash and lowered the ISO to 100.  Then it had a fuzzy idea of where the subject was and it was more hit and miss. 

So if you have reasonable light or aren't afraid to go to higher ISOs - it works really well.  I used to use the 7D for sport and I would say the focus is not as good as that camera in low light.

As for landscapes my opinion is this is the best sensor for the prosumer on detail and latitude.  I am delighted with the detail I get using the Zony lenses on this camera.