A7RII causing you to sell Canon lenses?

I'll keep this brief, but I just sold my 5DIII for the A7RII and am loving the results so far.  I expected to use the Sony with my Canon 24-70 2.8 II and 70-300 L lenses via the Metabones adapter. However, I am finding that I love the FE lenses so much that I returned the Metabones adapter to B&H today and plan to sell my last 3 Canon lenses.   I had a feeling that I would return the A7RII like I have all the mirrorless cameras I have purchased in the past, but the exact opposite happened.  It will still take me a while to re-learn / change my camera muscle memory, but all in all this is the best camera I've owned.    

Is anyone else feeling the same way?

I haven't had much time to get out and shoot, but here is my A7RII first shots gallery:

https://flic.kr/s/aHskiNbbvB

I'd love to hear everyone's thoughts on this.  

It's like I feel "the same only different".

I feel the same about my less-than-top-shelf A7

series, a basic A7M2. I know just how you feel.

For my needs, it the same incredible change-up

that you are experiencing.

OTOH, I'm not "in love" with any FE lenses. I

don't even bring any home for one-nite-stands.

Not knocking them. Just don't care. My A7 just

serves two purposes, hardware-wise:

1. A decent sensor behind my legacy lenses.

2. Image stabilization for all my lenses.

Acoarst, I don't shoot NFL games or weddings,

so what works for me works for me. But yes, I

do know how you feel about your switching over

from SLR to A7 series. Your "R"-type replaces

a 5D-III while my basic type replaces a 5D-II, so

the feeling is the same.

Acoarst, selling a 5D-II doesn't bring so many

sheckels as a 5D-III, so I get to keep my pet

dinosaur around [so far, anywho].

`

Ha, feeling exactly the same. I have three Canon lenses left as well and will likely swap out two of them for the WA Batis.

Still feeling sentimental about the 70-200 2.8L though likely not for too much longer. Would love to see some faster glass show up on the Sony roadmap sooner rather than later.

Just started out with Photography and started with Sony, so me personally no. But I hear from a lot of people that try the A7RII and plan on using their Canon glass and then after trying selling all their Canon stuff. Seems like the A7RII is going to be the first widely "loved" camera =)

I totally know what you mean.  Here's my journey so far (a bit of a ramble, sorry)

My Canon lineup is 5D3 / 24Lii / 85Lii / 100L macro / 135L / 17-40L / 24-70 2.8Lii / 70-200 2.8Lii / 40 pancake / Bower 14mm 2.8 mf / vintage Rokkor 58mm 1.2 mf.  Hell of a good lineup if you ask me.

I do primarily portraits - actor, model and corporate headshots, occasional family shoots.  Also do a lot of theatre production and promotional photography.  Every now and then a bit of video.  My original plan was simply to use the R2 with my Canon glass, as a high resolution studio camera.  I figured I'd need to continue to use the 5D3 for theatre productions because of low light scenarios, which I'd come to understand was not the mirrorless' strong point.  

But then I found out Eye-AF would only work on native lenses, and Eye-AF was one of the features that originally turned me on to the camera in the first place (that's a dream for a headshot session).  So when I bought the R2, instead of a metabones, I started out with just a FE 55mm 1.8 (couldn't afford a lens AND the metabones).  That lens is AMAZING.  Took it along to a theatre shoot, where I expected it to fail, due to low light, and it absolutely kicked butt.  Killed it.  As usual, I presented a selection of shots to the city papers to publish with their reviews.  I usually give them like 20 shots or so to pick from, in this case, I gave them a mix of shots from the 5D3 and the R2, and every shot they picked to publish was from the R2.  So obviously it didn't fail in that arena, like I expected it to.

Then I wanted to do the same sort of comparison in a studio portrait session, so I exchanged the 55mm for the FE 90 Macro (no way to get a Batis unfortunately).  The Canon 100L is my most frequently used lens in headshot sessions, so I switched back and forth between the 5D3 / 100L and the R2 / 90mm.   The R2 ate it for lunch.  Keeper rate with Eye-AF was SOOOO much higher.  SHARP.  More latitude in the files for post adjustments, just lovely shots all around.   So with the A7R2 kicking the 5D3's butt in both arenas, the 5D3 has become the bald headed stepchild.  

I finally got my hands on a Metabones just last night, and so far, it's a bit of a disappointment.  The Canon glass is working OK, but not even close to the same level of performance.  Now and then it just can't seem to nail what you want it to nail, which never seemed to happen with the FE lenses.

My problem though, is the total lack of fast zooms.  I can't do f/4.  If there was an FE 24-70 and 70-200 at f/2.8, I'd probably jump ship and go total switch.  But until they release more options, I'm stuck in limbo.

Unfortunately, my only experience with Sony glass, non-Zeiss, was horrible. Purchased the Sony FE 90mm Macro based on all the glowing reviews.  It was a dog.  Returned it for a refund. I will be keeping all my excellent Canon glass and with the firmware upgrade to my Metabones III adapter all of these lenses are as fast at AF as my 5DMIII.  So if IQ is the goal, I will stick with the Canon.  Maybe when the Zeiss Batis lenses become more available, I will give them a try.

Unfortunately, my only experience with Sony glass, non-Zeiss, was horrible. Purchased the Sony FE 90mm Macro based on all the glowing reviews.  It was a dog.  Returned it for a refund. I will be keeping all my excellent Canon glass and with the firmware upgrade to my Metabones III adapter all of these lenses are as fast at AF as my 5DMIII.  So if IQ is the goal, I will stick with the Canon.  Maybe when the Zeiss Batis lenses become more available, I will give them a try.

I haven't used this lens, but It sounds like you got a bad copy.  I'd give another one a try.

I haven't used this lens, but It sounds like you got a bad copy.  I'd give another one a try.

I would have except in my testing of the Sony 90 I compared it my Canon 100 f2.8L IS macro and was surprised at how good this combination performed.  I have always thought of the Canon 100 as a so so lens.  But coupled to the A7r and A7rII with a Metabones III it was incredibly sharp and consistent.  With the improved AF on the A7rII, I think I will hold off on Sony glass.

I am really excited about this camera being paired with my Canon lenses. I bought a Metabones 3 a while back for a NEX6 my wife had at the time, so she could use my lenses. Fast forward a couple of years and I slapped that MB3 on my A7RII for the first time this weekend, and my first outdoor shots were at some seagulls flying by. I literally barely had time to pull camera up, on, and point. I wasn't sure what to expect and snap, snap, snap, snap, and my 24-105mm got the three birds in focus on all four shots. Then I began shooting it at two dogs we had playing in Lake Tahoe chasing sticks in the water, and on shore. It caught all sideways movement, but lost track on movement coming towards me on the last of 2 or 3 of 5 to 6 shots. But, the in focus shots were spectacular and I could hardly believe my eyes looking at the detail, compared to what I was used to seeing with my 6D. I could live with that!

My 100-400mm didn't fair that well with focusing, it was slow at best. But when I put the focusing assist color to red in the viewfinder, and had the lens on manual, I was able to track my subjects and keep them in focus so easily, that I didn't miss the auto focus. I also noticed how much sharper that first gen 100-400mm lens looked with the A7RII shots. In fact, I had been thinking of selling my 100-400 due to it not being that sharp with my 6D, and now, it's a whole different story. I'm very satisfied with the sharpness on A7RII.

I will be holding off on buying Sony lenses. Once I get more time to play with it using landscape and 4K video, I will then test the equivelent Sony lenses and go from there.