Defective A7II - sent it back to B&H

koala

So I got my A7II two days ago and ran some tests.  On high speed continuous it was virtually impossible to shoot just one frame, no matter how quickly I took my finger off the shutter button.  I would almost always get at least two frames.  Also the shutter seemed to depress quite a bit before triggering - at least much more than my A7.  It will make me crazy trying to get only one frame when in high speed which is where I want to be most of the time covering news (I am a Reuters photographer)  so I sent it back to B&H for an exchange.  We'll see if the new one works the same way.  Of course its out of stock again so no idea when I will have it.  Anyone else notice this with their MII's?

So I got my A7II two days ago and ran some tests.  On high speed continuous it was virtually impossible to shoot just one frame, no matter how quickly I took my finger off the shutter button.  I would almost always get at least two frames.  Also the shutter seemed to depress quite a bit before triggering - at least much more than my A7.  It will make me crazy trying to get only one frame when in high speed which is where I want to be most of the time covering news (I am a Reuters photographer)  so I sent it back to B&H for an exchange.  We'll see if the new one works the same way.  Of course its out of stock again so no idea when I will have it.  Anyone else notice this with their MII's?

You are not quick with that button finger.

What a horrible "bug" :P

Why do you mind taking two or *even* three frames every time? If you are a Reuters photographer :o

The problem with that is in the edit - on a several hour long assignment I will have to look at many duplicate frames which is a waste of time and slows down getting the pictures to the wire.  I ask again, any owners have a similar experience?

It's pretty quick, but useable on my A7ii. It feels/sounds a little different, but about the same repeat rate as my A65. I don't have an A7, but have read in a couple of reviews that the shutter release on the A7ii is one of the changes. I believe it is a longer throw and more staging between half press and release. It may be that a little getting used to the different shutter release will resolve the issue for you. FWIW, just sitting here fiddling with high speed continuous for the first time on the A7ii I'm getting doubles once every 3 - 4 times, marginally more than on the A65. Believe the frame rate on the A7ii is 5fps. So far I'm tickled with mine. Compact, handles well and very pretty IQ.

So I got my A7II two days ago and ran some tests. On high speed continuous it was virtually impossible to shoot just one frame, no matter how quickly I took my finger off the shutter button.

I see the same behaviour on the A6000. With AF-C I never could shoot just one single foto. Also not with medium picture rate.

I have similar issues with my 1Dx. I cannot imagine that is that uncommon and I dismissed it as being caused by a very responsive camera since in that form of continuous shooting more complaints would be that it is not shooting fast enough. Can you decrease the fps on that camera to maybe 3 ot 4 fps. That may help. I do not have that problem with my 99 but then I think it is fairly unresponsive, slow and poor processing speed, but takes awesome images.