A7RII with dust spot or oil spot

lipto

Hello

I have an annoying problem with my A7RII.

My configuration is Sony A7RII with Metabone and the use of Canon lens.

During a test session, i saw a black spot on my picture. I used the automatic clean function and now i have already black spot on pictures.

I tried many things :

Remove dust or oil spot with green clean wet & dry sweeper (5 times)

Use Mini Vacuum air power (a 400 ml product that i used nearly all)

Tried many lens but spots don't move and i tried picture with my canon, no spot

Dust or oil spots are coming when i shoot (problem with the shutter ?)

Is someone had  the same problem ?

My reseller has contacted Sony and i'm waiting a response.

Thank you for your help.

Julien.

-------

I join my last picture (with f20)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I don't clean my sensors very often any more I just use the PP to remove them, but I do appreciate your concern, especially on a new camera! 

I see at least three, maybe four 'somethings.' 

By a "green clean wet & dry sweeper" do you mean the wet swab.  Does the spot move when you clean it with that 'sweeper?' 

Does it change at all? 

If it is not moving or changing with a sweep. you either aren't cleaning the correct surface, or it is way more serious than dust or oil.

Hello,

I use product from Green Clean. Their product is two stick, one wet and one dry.

It's not very easy with the sony sensor because this one move when you clean it.

Spots moves after a clean, all spots changes. spot are especially on the edge of pictures.

I will try to take many pictures and clean again...

The reason the sensor moves is because it is the means by which the in body stabilization is implemented. 

Be gentle with it. 

Have you tried watching your work with a magnifying glass to see the dust or spot as it moves with the swab?

Always be sure to move the swabs only in one direction so that you don't push debris back onto the sensor once you have it off on the edge (or up off of the sensor).

Never reuse swabs once you have cleaned the sensor with it.

If you run out of ideas, I would do the wet swab and use a clean air blower to attempt to remove the contamination. 

I don't guarantee this method though and you will be proceeding at your own risk regardless what you try. 

One more reliable option is to take it to a shop that will work on the A7Rii (an authorized Sony repair shop) and guarantee their work.

I don't have any more suggestions than that, so good luck with it.

Thank you for your help Tom,

I'm very gentle with the sensor i think but i believe that it doesn't like me :(

I made a new clean with the instruction of Green Clean (one left, one right, one up, one down and dry stick).

I took after many pictures and...black spots are coming !

I'm waiting the response of my reseller...

I give you pictures of the Black Spot coming...

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Thank you for your response.

I'm waiting the response of my reseller but i think that my a7rII will be visit the after-sales services.

I tried again to clean the sensor. First picture is good but i take one picture again and i show th black spot :( I'm very disappointed by this because my test with this Sony was very good.

Are you sure it is not your Metabones and Canon lens combo that are throwing these particles on your sensor ?

When aperture is stopping down when taking picture, some movement from the lens/adapter mechanism closing down the aperture could be the reason for this (or the focusing mechanism)

Except for the IBIS steady shot sensor mechanism, there should be nothing in the camera that can cause this.

Nikon had issues with mirror movement sending particles on the sensor (can't remember if it was D800 ) so something must be moving to throw these around. There is little if not nothing in an E-Mount camera that moves to the point of sending particles on the sensor. 

Hello,

I gave my camera to my reseller and now it is in the hand of Sony.

I'm a Canon user and i don't have any E lens. I just tried with metabones and my canon lens. I clean the metabones many times and each time, black spot on my picture. 

I'm a little bit disappointed because next week i will cover the UTMB a french trail in the Alps and i was very impatient to test the Sony during a huge event (and my first tests was very good). 

Thank you for your responses.

I'm having bad luck with my a7rii. I shot a bunch of pics near wide-open couple days ago and at about 500 actuations, I've got at least half a dozen, if not more, oil spots. Seems a bit early for that many, huh. Not sure what else they could be but oil? I'm very careful when I remove lenses and i get spots with both lenses.

Are you sure it is not your Metabones and Canon lens combo that are throwing these particles on your sensor ?

When aperture is stopping down when taking picture, some movement from the lens/adapter mechanism closing down the aperture could be the reason for this (or the focusing mechanism)

Except for the IBIS steady shot sensor mechanism, there should be nothing in the camera that can cause this.

Nikon had issues with mirror movement sending particles on the sensor (can't remember if it was D800 ) so something must be moving to throw these around. There is little if not nothing in an E-Mount camera that moves to the point of sending particles on the sensor. 

With the aperture being sealed inside the lens, I don't see how this could be the problem. I agree maybe a loose adapter could allow dust into the sensor area. Also I can confirm my A7R ii has about 3 or 4 spots as well, this is with a commlite adapter.

Some rear elements move, so as you focus this could potentially throw out dust - also the iris preview buttons on some old lenses can be reservoirs for dust and/or throw out metal/plastic shavings. It's a good idea to keep your lenses as clean as possible (and of course your adapters as well). Still, I personally had an issue with dust on the A7RII and not on the A7 or A7II. I didn't use IBIS on the A7II, and I did on the A7RII (it is much improved), so perhaps IBIS being on somehow attracts more dust? 

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

It's not a funny story. Today i get my new sony ar7ii. Sony support has changed it. Ok, that good.

I come back to my home, take my 50 mm lens...and shoot 5 pictures from my window.

I start lightroom, upload pictures and... I have a nice sky with A LITTLE DUST SPOT...arghhhh !

I tried with 4 lens and always this dust (and a new after 10 shoot).

Ok picture was taken with f22, with f7 the dust spot is almost invisible.

So i think that the problem come from metabones. I can't believe it's the Sony.

I think i will buy a sony lens...

I think it is important to note that most people have a lot of dust in their house, no matter how clean you think your house is. If you have ever put on a screen protector indoors, you likely noticed it is hard to apply the protector without capturing dust/particles underneath it. You can also use a focused beam of light to illuminate dust particles (the ones our eyes can see anyway) or just check your A/C filter to confirm.

The sad fact is most electronics have some sort of net or localized positive charge associated with it. These positive charges attract the negative charges on a particle like dust, towards the surface of the positive charges. This is why your TV screen is always dusty for example. This is just a basic explanation. I could go into more detail if you want, but this topic has been well covered on the internet. The Sony a7RII has a anti-static coating on it's sensor filter that should reduce this attraction but I doubt it's efficacy.

TL;DR Unless you are in a cleanroom with clean equipment dust is going to happen probably every time you switch lenses no matter the brand of lens you are using, clean your sensor frequently to avoid this issue.

Hello,

So i think that the problem come from metabones. I can't believe it's the Sony.

I think i will buy a sony lens...

Did you think of using a blower on the adapter?

As lots of people have inferred, dust is a way of life with interchangeable lenses. Don't like it? get a 24-240 or an RX10

Otherwise, wash rinse repeat ... Start with blower holding camera upside down, if that doesn't work, arctic butterfly/static brush, if that doesn't work, wet clean.      

Much like Death and Taxes, dust is one of the certainties of life

I do like the system Olympus has in their micro 4/3 cameras, using ring shaped glass and rubber seals to prevent dust from entering and tape to catch dust if it does enter. I am not sure what this does to the optical path of light entering, probably very slightly reduces light transmission not sure of what else.

I think it is important to note that most people have a lot of dust in their house, no matter how clean you think your house is....You can also use a focused beam of light to illuminate dust particles (the ones our eyes can see anyway) or just check your A/C filter to confirm....

Unless you are in a cleanroom with clean equipment dust is going to happen probably every time you switch lenses no matter the brand of lens you are using, clean your sensor frequently to avoid this issue.

Absolutely correct. In a dark room, shining a powerful (100+ lumen) flashlight or a 5+ mW laser pointer will always show specks of dust in the air. Those dust particles are always there, even though we cannot normally see them. 

I have had several dust and small string-like debris particles on my A7RII sensor which the built-in sensor cleaner would not remove. I blew them off with a Giotto Rocket Blower: http://amzn.com/B00017LSPI

It helps a lot to have a lighted sensor magnifier. There are several available. This one is cheap but works: http://amzn.com/B0091SS310
This one is a little more expensive: http://amzn.com/B0085TBFNO

That is all I have needed so far. If the rocket blower doesn't work, the next step after that is a sensor brush, then a gel stick, and if that doesn't work, wet cleaning.

Hello,

I bought a sony lens for testing.

Now i think i know where is the trouble.

I put steadyshot off (IBIS stabilisation)

I clean the sensor

I take pciture

-> All is good. Beautiful sky, no spot

I put steadycam on

Take a picture

spot on picture !

All these tests with a new lens from Sony no metabones...)

I gave these informations to my reseller but i think that steadyshot option will be off for ever...

• 4 weeks later...

I get same problems.

- Monday, i bought my 1st Sony A7RII new in box.

Since image 50 I wanted to try FF27, F17 and 29.

> link answer files : http://www.imacis.fr/A7RII/

. DCS00060 and DCS00060 (38 and 22 Mo files)

- Yesterday, my reseller replace a 2nd NEW A7RII (fastly and thanks SONY :) ) :

This is the first pictures with it http://www.imacis.fr/A7RII/

. DCS00001 at F6,3 !!!! (first picture with the new A7RII)

to

. DCS00002 to DCS00006 at (F29)

IBIS : on

Lens : 24-240 SONY NEW in Box (bought this week for ) espacialy for A7RII.

Tests : only with 24-240.

Metabones : not buying

A send new email to my reseller, I am waiting for SONY answer.

I shoot since 15 years ago.

I am very disapointing about SONY, I come from CANON and never seen this problem.

If 1 picture is a problem to clean Photoshop. :unsure:

This is absolutly Out of Work for VIDEO mode (post production on 30-60 i/s.) :wacko:

I will be happy SONY resolve this problem now. But my question is how long time ?

Will I get problem in few months ? :unsure:

What are Warranties, I will not get problems until Film Making ??? :unsure:

Just FYI; the cleaning mode function is absolutely useless. You must use a blower or wet clean for any results.

Thank you for the council.

This is 2 new bodies.

Same problems.

Even with 1st picture.

So, do I have to clean it every day, before and after shooting ?

Is my customers agree to get Spot on their pictures or movie ?

For my self, I do not council to clean Oil Spot by their self, because of lifetime sensor.

Thank you for the council.

This is 2 new bodies.

Same problems.

Even with 1st picture.

So, do I have to clean it every day, before and after shooting ?

Is my customers agree to get Spot on their pictures or movie ?

For my self, I do not council to clean Oil Spot by their self, because of lifetime sensor.

Which country are you from? Using the word council sound funny :)

The sensor is exposed and very close to lens mount so more dust on it.

Can you return and buy from different place?