Why I choosed Sony A7R mk-1

luca.f

Hi everybody, I'm Luca, from Switzerland.

I write this post basically to introduce myself and to tell my short story with Sony Alpha.

In 2011 I bought my first advanced camera (an Rx100II), it was a great school for me, starting from automatic and getting full manual+RAW after some times.

Now, after about 70k shoots with the RX100 I decided to make the "next step", as I was starting feeling limited by the possibility of that camera, although I will always love it for the light weight and small size. 

From Dec2014 I started be interested in the A7 serie. When A7RII was annunced I was stunned!

In Jul2015 I went to B&H in NYC, A7RII was not yet in stock but preorder were already available. I was leaving for the Yukon, such an amazing place for a wilderness lover as I am.

I tried in my hand both the A7RmkI and the A7II. I was so surprised about how big is the new A7 body! Big and heavy! Something I can't deal with...I bring my camera everywhere, expecially during my alpinism and hiking excursions, so weight is very important for me.

At the end of the game, I bought the A7R mk1 with the Zeiss 2.8/35 and the G 2.8/90, not for the pricepoint or other reason, but for only one reason: the size/weight. In this way I have a body+lens around 600g that I can bring everywhere.

I'm still warming up with the camera (about 3k shots), but I'm very satisfied about everything. The camera is super light for a FF, and with the Zeiss 2.8 I can bring it about everywhere. The quality is superb, expecially with good light.

More than this, I love so much the feeling that it gives to me, the body is fantastic, and the shutter noise is so crazy.

I would really like to try for one or 2 days the A7RII, to understand better what I'm loosing using the "old" version.

Sometimes I get annoyed not having the steadyshoot, but is something that I can deal with. I think the bigger point is the sensor, the new one is much better, but, comparing the 36mpx FF with the old 20mpx 1'' of the RX100....I already made a big step :)

These few thoughts to introduce myself and my gear, hope to find here a good community to speak about our cameras, giving suggestions about the material and about our photos. I will post some pictures of my travel in Yukon in about 2 weeks in the photo session, below a sneak peak.

Nice to meet you everybody!

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Welcome to the forum Luca!  (I'm fairly a newbie also). 

I've got the A7R, but am strongly interested in the mark 2 for a number of reasons including: stronger lens mount, better video capability, apparently more sensitive sensor, In-Body image stabilization, quieter shutter, and a few more.

While I am generally impressed with the A7R, I am currently reading and learning as much as I can about the mark 2 and may or may not get and keep one.

Later,

Welcome to the forum Luca!  (I'm fairly a newbie also). 

I've got the A7R, but am strongly interested in the mark 2 for a number of reasons including: stronger lens mount, better video capability, apparently more sensitive sensor, In-Body image stabilization, quieter shutter, and a few more.

While I am generally impressed with the A7R, I am currently reading and learning as much as I can about the mark 2 and may or may not get and keep one.

Later,

Hi Tom, nice to meet you!

I'm still very interested in the mark 2 too. The sensor looks great, this is the main reason. Also in-body stabilization is interesting, but add lot of weight to the camera.

Maybe a good option will be to keep our A7R and look the evolution of the A7 serie. I'm waiting with lot of impatience the A7SII...

Or maybe, if many people will complain about the weight, they will make a superlight FF camera with the same sensor of A7RII but around 300/400grams....this would be something I buy for sure!

Let's keep in touch and see what will happen in Sony,

Luca

• 1 month later...

Hi Luca, I'm Marcel from Dübendorf :-)

Until this Sommer I have been mainly a Canon shooter (5D MarkII and III). For hiking, a love to use my Sony RX-100, version 1.

In August I bought the a7R II - a fabulous camera that I am still exploring.

Just a small thought about your situation and your "desire" for a a7R II...

In my opinion, the a7R (Version 1) is an amazing camera which takes wonderful high resolution pictures, hardly distinguishable from the ones shot with the second version.

(If you would like to try out a a7R II for real, just come by and try mine.)

Whatsoever, just enjoy our great camera and after having shot about 200k pictures look again what's on the market.

Cheers,

Marcel