How about collecting the information of adapter performance on A7Rii?

Langstrum

Hello everyone,

I've just had an idea that we can collect the information of adapter performances on A7Rii and make a report like the table below, so everybody can take it as the reference. So basically we need the help of SAR readers owning A7Rii and a native camera body to estimate the performance of a non-native lens on A7Rii through an adapter. I can collect these information and calculate the average value to put into the below table and share to the public (Google drive sheet). This value doesn't need to be very accurate, though, since we can't standardize all the tests and the judgement is highly dependent on the testers, but it will give an ideal of how a specific lens works with a specific adapter. An estimated value without directly compare to the native body may be acceptable since there are people having only A7Rii. In this case I will use the notice column to mention that fact.

How do you think about that idea? Should we start?

rc55vl.jpg

I collected the info from dpreview recently and your results were included already. I'm using Viltrox adapter too and I hope we will get more positive news with it. Seems like the firmware of Metabones is very restricted and all the problem so far can be, theoretically, fixed by firmware update for the adapter.

I have EF 300mm f4 L (non IS version, which is a bit sharper) but I didn't get the camera yet to test it.

Here is the result of my research from all the reports that I can find from DPreview, Fredmiranda, and SAR. Since it's almost impossible to get the data as the comparison of focusing speed in A7Rii to the native body, I used the rating from 0-5 to rate the focus speed of each lens with specific adapter. It's not a report based on experiments, just collected information to give some idea of which combination is better for Canon lenses owners.
I hope that I can get more information from our forum to finish this report.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/14ReO3m8vctUd146HqXUbnBRZprS-vC5Pps4NVB_594o/edit?usp=sharing

Hi newbie great idea

I just bought the A7R11 and discovered that my new camera with a Metabones 1V and sigma 35mm 1.4 art attached crops the images to 52mm. Tried all sorts of lenses and combinations.

A7 works fine then I tried the Metabones 111 and it worked on both A7r 11 & A7, I have recently updated the Metabones 1V firmware. The firmware has brought faster auto focus but with a huge price to pay for the image crop.

Scottishlandscapes

• 1 month later...

Thank you very much for the comparison, Langstrum, and everyone who contributed.

At the moment I am using a Comlite Canon EF to e-mount adapter and I just discovered another problem - I really don't know to describe it very well :-) - The Canon lens on my a7R II seems not to be perfectly parallel to the sensor using this adapter, because (in my case) the right side (border) of the image is not in focus (blurred) compared to the left border of the image.

If a use my Canon 5D MIII, under the same conditions - the image is sharp from side to side.

So, the optical alignment seems to be a problem, too. This will depend on the precision the adapter was made with.

AF on my wide angle lenses (16-35mm 2.8 and 24-70mm 2.8) is quite usable, if lightning conditions are ok. Although, my 70-200mm 2.8 V2 is not usable in AF mode: The nearest focusing distance seems to be over 7m and it worsens the bigger the focal length is I use. The AF of the 100-400mm 4.5/5.6 is not usable at all.

Canon 5D Mark II with Canon 24-70mm 2.8 V2

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

a7R II with Comlite and Canon 24-70mm 2.8 V2