My Sony A7RII is totally messed up!!

Ok, I got my camera last night and just got back from a wedding I was shooting.  It was my second camera (I carry 2).  The other is a Nikon.  Anyways, the settings on my Sony are changing without touching any thing!  I can literally look at the camera and watch the aperture and shutter speed change on its own without any buttons being pressed!  Also when I am in the menus trying to change stuff, they will jump to a different directory or exit the menu altogether.  Now I am torn on what to do.  I am happy I got it so soon, So I don't want to send it back and have to wait weeks for a new one.  But I only have 30 day return.  Should I contact sony or Unique camera?  Has this happened to anyone else?  thanks, Justin    www.justinlisterphotography.com

Definitely return it. But first try a hard reset and make sure no buttons are stuck and that the battery is seated properly. make sure the front wheel is functioning properly.

I would also suggest always checking a camera out and getting to know it before taking it on such an important shoot as a wedding.

• 1 month later...

Ok, the problem is with the 3rd party Meike vertical grip. The problem only happens when it is attached so beware of that.

It very well could be. I haven't tried a second but I am going to order another one I think. Although Im not made of money- especially now that i bought this camera.

You may wish to check if it was because of your accidentally depressing the shutter on the grip shutter button when you are composing. I do not have the Meike. I have been using the Sony grip and was experiencing your issues for a while before I realised this.

Hope this is the issue and not a lemon that you got. Happy shooting.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

You may wish to check if it was because of your accidentally depressing the shutter on the grip shutter button when you are composing. I do not have the Meike. I have been using the Sony grip and was experiencing your issues for a while before I realised this.

Hope this is the issue and not a lemon that you got. Happy shooting.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

Nope.  I just picked it up again.. Hand was nowhere near any buttons.  I saw it change aperture twice within 2 minutes.

I am going to call their tech support tomorrow.  Maybe there is an a7RII compatibility problem.  If there isn't, I will try an exchange. 

I will update on here the results.

@blad123, I am not entirely sure how a faulty 3rd party el-cheapo grip can cause one to decide about the quality of Sony's camera.

I am all for pros giving Sony a hard time for things like lack of uncompressed RAW (and other issues that they can actively improve on), but you posted asking for help with your A7RII, left out that you had a cheap 3rd party grip attached (which is a common cause of button issues for users and would have gotten you a quick response from someone on the forum) and then after finally realizing that it was the grip that was at fault still returned your camera and gave a negative opinion. This doesn't offer any insight into the camera for other users.

I am assuming that there were other things about the A7RII that made it a deal breaker for you. Can you share those issues?

On a totally different topic, the work on your site is great. I do wish that clicking "commercial" brought me straight to the gallery though. The intermediate page where I have to click on the upper right is a bit awkward. Otherwise I really like the presentation. 

Thanks, I will fix the link to bypass the intermediate site. I didn't realize that. I actually returned the camera because of the flash sync not the grip. I agree that would be a silly reason. The camera won't sync at 1/250 of a sec only 1/200 with my Profoto B1 and B2. Also the curtain shows the black band at the top when pushing past 1/200 of a sec, while Nikon is on the bottom. Why does all this matter? I often shoot shallow dof on location with studio strobes and underexpose the background. On Nikon I can do ISO 32, 1/320 of a second and 90% of the subject is lit. With the Sony their face would have the black band instead of their feet. Also pushing the sync to 1/320 just doesn't give me enough coverage.

Thanks @blad123 for that update! Honestly I'm a bit confused as to why modern digital cameras don't have simpler/better flash sync. Coming from 4x5 I was used to absurdly simple flash sync on the LF copals, and before that I used Mamiya RZs, which also never gave me a problem with their leaf shutters. I stopped using sync when I went digital and just started using hotlights, but I'm just getting back into using flash in the last year or so. 

From my research I think Canon has the same 1/200th limitation as Sony, and only Nikon will get you to 1/250th. That being said, I've been looking into HSS on the Sony Multi-Interface Hot-Shoe (because in theory the lack of an on-camera flash should mean better options for 3rd party compatibility). It's no Profoto, but I'm intrigued by the Nissan Air1 Commander that was just released.

In any case, I wish there was a better way to get Sony's attention with the issues that really keep pros away from the system. The image quality on the Sony sensors is light years ahead of the competition, but they still seem to get some basics wrong (which is why it's nice that Nikon repackages the Sony sensors in their own bodies). Today's announcement about uncompressed RAW is at least a sign that Sony is listening.

• 1 year later...

My Sony a7 is doing the very same thing.  I do not have a grip attached to it.  I was using it just fine this past weekend and all of a sudden noticed if I took a photo and the auto review came up it kept switching photos.  I do not have the slide show option on.  When I try to go into menu settings they keep changing and scrolling through to the right.  Also when trying to take a photo the aperature setting keeps changing.  Very frustrating.  Thankfully I have extended warranty and it will be going in.  I have tried resetting via the menu option and it did not help.  Also now trying to leave a battery out and hoping to resolve.