What is a good off camera flash solution for the A7R II

The one draw back I have found using the F60M is that you do need line of sight (especially in daylight) between the transmitter unit on the camera and the receiving unit. On the plus side you get remote TTL control and it is REALLY easy to use and configure (especially after trying to use the Canon setup !!).  

The other solution that I have used and works really well are my elinchrom sky port transmitters and receivers that I use for my studio lights with my old Canon speed lights (580 EXII). Just set the flash units to manual, dial in the level you want, pop the transmitter on the camera and you have a good, working solution. The advantage is that it uses radio for the wireless rather than infrared, the disadvantage is that you need to set the flash units to manual so it it slightly slower to set up.

I recently purchased the newly released Nissan di700A kit with Air 1 Commander unit.

I've tested it on both my A6000 and A7M2 with great results.

The Air 1 commander unit gives you full control of the di700a for off camera use,, using radio control.

I'd highly recommend this combo.

The only flaw Ive found is that the flash unit fits very loosly in the stand that ocmes with it.

I recently purchased the newly released Nissan di700A kit with Air 1 Commander unit.

I've tested it on both my A6000 and A7M2 with great results.

The Air 1 commander unit gives you full control of the di700a for off camera use,, using radio control.

I'd highly recommend this combo.

The only flaw Ive found is that the flash unit fits very loosly in the stand that ocmes with it.

If I use the Di700A mounted on the A7RII hot shoe, do I have full control of the flash from the camera menu commands?

You can use any combination of compatible Sony flashes (F60M, F43M, even the F20M [as on camera controller, not receiver]). Currently the best 3rd part choice for the multi-interface (MI) shoe is the Di700A Flash Kit with Air 1 Commander from Nissin.

If I use the Di700A mounted on the A7RII hot shoe, do I have full control of the flash from the camera menu commands?

• 2 weeks later...

I was hoping to be able to use the F43M flash off camera on a bracket with the 7RM2, with wireless. Can't do anything and think that perhaps a hot shoe and cable set up is needed or a transmitter? Any ideas?

Stay away from the F60M.  I sold mine.  It worked fine, but would overheat after 10-15 rapidfire pictures, and then not cool down for several minutes.  The Nissin option (I have on pre-order) seems much better, and at a much better price. 

I hear that  so many times, If you have a flash that overheats send it in to sony, they have change firmware that addresses that.

I am very happy with my F60M, never overheats

My favorite on camera is the HVL-F43M

It can act as controller for WL and provided your other flashes are Minolta/Sony models compatible with Digital WL (Minolta 3600HSD or 5600HSD, Sony HVL-F36AM,  F42AM, F56AM, F58AM,  or with the newer MIS shoe HVL-F32M, 43M or 60M.

With some combinations, you can also control ratio in WL

Second choice for general use would be HVL-F32M since it is much lighter but when used as controller for WL, no ratio control is possible.

• 1 month later...

I currently use a Nissan di700 kit as well.  So far, results and reliability have been good and it's a bargain right now.  However, would love to see Profoto come out with a TTL/HSS version of the B1 and B2 systems like they have for Canon/Nikon.  Not sure why they are dragging their feet on this one but lots of opportunity for Profoto, Broncolor, Ellencrhrom considering Sony is climbing the hill and will continue if they keep introducing advancements at the current pace... It'll be interesting to see which studio flash company jumps on the bandwagon first.  

I currently use a Nissan di700 kit as well.  So far, results and reliability have been good and it's a bargain right now.  However, would love to see Profoto come out with a TTL/HSS version of the B1 and B2 systems like they have for Canon/Nikon.  Not sure why they are dragging their feet on this one but lots of opportunity for Profoto, Broncolor, Ellencrhrom considering Sony is climbing the hill and will continue if they keep introducing advancements at the current pace... It'll be interesting to see which studio flash company jumps on the bandwagon first.  

A7 system is still in it's infancy, not ready for prime time just yet but Sony seems to be on a fast pace. Of course I wouldn't complain if Profoto came out with Sony transmitter now :D

The A7 flash system is not in its infancy: It is an evolution of the Minolta system dating back to 2001 ( for compatible digital flash models ) and we Minolta users have been enjoying the WL flash capability since 1991, HSS since 1993 ( but flash models from that era are now incompatible with any digital camera. You can still use the 2001 Minolta 2500D, (no WL, No HSS but still TTL on camera or cabled properly), Minolta 3600 HS(D) and 5600HS(D) in WL mode, HSS for the latter 2 or cabled TTL with all of them.

All Minolta SLR cameras including entry-level models since 1991 had a built-in flash with WL Control capability (except the Dynax/Maxxum/Alpha 9xi). There was even a nice WL Control unit that would only emit infrared commands to your WL flashes and not affect exposure or be visible in high-reflective situations and added the bonus or ratio control. Minolta was way ahead of the competition in this area but it got little promotion by dealers who would often only offer off-brand WL incompatible entry level flash models for greater profit or did not mention this capability when using a proper Minolta unit.

The TTL cable system used by Sony today is a direct derivative of the 1981 Minolta TTL cable system: Minolta Cable EX, Cable CD and Triple connector are the exact same as the newer Sony overly expensive cables and triple connector and before the introduction of the MIS shoe, even the off-camera cables and shoes were the same as the 1988 Minolta iISO shoe. Hey folks, this is way ahead of personal computers, the internet and smartphones. And these antiques still work with the newer Sony flashes except they now require either a MIS to older shoe adapter or vice-versa depending on which flash / camera combination you are using. Sony introduced the new MIS-shoe FA-CS1M to replace the old shoe and this is also compatible with the old Minolta cables mentioned above for cabled TTL.

With the advent of the new Sony MIS shoe, you only require an adapter to fit these flashes on-camera. If you get a proper WL TTL control flash unit now required by the absence of a proper built-in control flash on many Sony cameras in part for compact requirements ( you asked for smallest possible cameras, you got some features removed and a built-in flash that controls WL flashes have their own limits ( A77 overheat after 20-30 WL control flashes that make you wait for the built-in flash to cool down: this would overheat in 5-6 pictures on a smaller camera the size of any A7)  .

For regular use on-camera, i don't think it is a safe or practical way to using these older models but in a cabled or WL usage, they can be very affordable and still do the job with minimal incompatibility that you may encounter when using other brands that reverse-engineered the system. Should Sony change something in their TTL or WL protocol eventually, they will probably try to maximize backwards compatibility with their present flash models. Any off-brander ( Phottix has some issues with their Odin with some camera/lens/flash combinations), Nissin may not follow-up well when Sony introduces an updated system along the A7r3 or 4, Metz always takes months to update their flashes to be compatible totally.

The list of flash units that can control other units in WL and some also in WL/HSS is long: HVL-F20M, HVL-F32M, HVL-F43M, HVL-F60M with MIS shoe direct on your A7 or even some NEX, or through a simple Sony ADP-MAA adapter : HVL-F20AM, HVL-F43AM, HVL-F58AM). All other units since 2001 can be used as remotes with all the features they were born with. Don't expect an old flash to get features it did not have when they were designed.

Just my 2 cents since i am seeing so many posters coming from the other side or newbies who need to learn more before they understand the capabilities and limits of any flash system.

• 4 months later...

Like others I'm going from another brand platform to Sony. So far, it's the lighting issues that have been the most frustrating. It doesn't help that I'm mixing & matching an older NEX 7 with the a7R. My question to all regards terminology. I'm under the impression when referring to flashes, shoes, etc, there's the traditional Sony/Minolta (the Nex7) and the newer Sony MI shoe. Am I off on this?

To get the ball rolling I just want one solid TTL unit for the a7R (already have one for the NEX) and then the right adapters to drive that flash and strobes / bare bulbs off camera. . I have Microsynch triggers so I have some flexibility with those connections. I've identified an adapter for the NEX shoe to get me a standard cold shoe for the Microsynch trigger. But not being clear on this Sony/Minolta vs Sony MI shoe definition is maddening. The shoes are different but when reading descriptions for gear it almost seems interchangeable. . .

I've returned both a Metz and Sony flash which were supposed to work according to the sales people. I won't name names.

Any general advice, while I cool my heels? I've already spent $80 on returns. . .sheesh. . thanks in advance to all

My favourite for on-camera operation is the HVL-F43M for my A7r and A7II. Good power, tiltable flash head, HSS, advanced WL control capabilities should you be tempted eventually, etc.

Please note the end of this model number ends with M, which in Sony jargon means MIS shoe and this suffix applies to all of their flashes with this same shoe. All previous models end with AM ( HVL-F43AM for example) and this means it has the Minolta/Sony Autolock shoe (some call it iISO since this shoe was introduced in 1988 along the i-series of Minolta AF cameras).

Some other brands may work but beware that many who have reverse engineered their flashes will not provide TTL (or other features) when using un-chipped adapted lenses. All the Minolta/Sony compatible units are providing TTL with un-chipped adapted lenses. I know, i own the Meike MK-320, the Phottix Mitros+, and these  don't work in TTL with un-chipped adapted lenses and my assortment of Minolta/Sony flash units all work properly wether on camera / cabled or WL.

As for using this HVL-F43M with your triggers, it should be fitting directly on standard shoes. I tried with iShoot PT-04 cheap triggers and it works in Manual mode as it should without needing any adapters. Adding a Sony ADP-MAA adapter would also make it work on your NEX-7 in all modes and with all the capabilities provided by both the flash and camera. This adaptation is not for intensive use though as any adapted fitting can loosen up during a photo session and make you drop the flash by accident so to be used with care.