Questions about A7r II

Hey All!

I'm looking to possibly switch over to the Alpha line when I save up enough money but wanted to know a few things

1) I know the spec battery life but I also know real life use is usually more to much more. How many shots have you gotten on one battery? (This can be a A7 II battery life too)

2) There seem to be a confusing set of lenses that are available. What would a traditional trinity set be?

Thanks!!!!

Battery life depends a lot on how you use your camera. Do you leave it "on" all the time, or switch it off in between shots? Do you chimp a lot? and son on... As for me, on a continuous shoot, I get around 250 shots per battery. On multiple days, I get about 350 per full charge. And I never go out without a spare.

Depending on your choice of focal lengths, you could go Zeiss Batis 25/FE35 f:1.4/FE55 f:1.8, or FE35 f:1.4/FE55 f:1.8/Batis85 f:1.8. Lots more options of course because of the huge number of legacy lenses that fit the A7

My battery-numbers with the A7 (I think it has the worst battery life of all released) are:

Continous shoot of 3 hours with about 300 shots. If you turn it off while not using it, it holds easily for the same amount over several days. But If you forget to turn off, you could end with low battery fast. I have always another battery with me and I had never any issues. Because of the size and weight of one battery you can easily take two with you.

Lenses:

I have 55/1.8 - 90/2.8 - 16-35/4. All three are that really great and are a good combination.

I want (in this order): 35 (eg. 35/1.4 or 35/2.8), 25 prime (eg. 25/2 batis or 28/2), 35-85/2.8 zoom (no native yet), 135 prime (no native yet) and a "real" portrait lens with AF (85/1.8 batis or the may coming 85/1.4) besides the 90/2.8 and a manual contax 85/1.4 I have.

The industry-standard CIPA test suggests you'll only get 290 shots per battery.

At the other extreme, with lots of 5fps bursts, you can get 1700+ shots out of the A7RIi.

2 batteries lasted me a 9 hour day out during which I probably took 800, but I tend to turn it off regularly. IBIS and constant AF certainly add to the drain.

3 batteries would therefore be sensible if you'll use it all day, ie an extra cost of $20 and extra size&weight of one DSLR battery.

I'll soon update this post list-of-all-full-frame-native-e-mount-lenses, the most significant additions are two top-performing Zeiss lenses, a 25mm f2 and 85mm 1.8.

For those that have switched from say D800's or 5D3's is there a noticeable weight difference between them and the A series?

Only mention weight lately because the back has been acting up a little in my last few gigs :o

I switched from a D800E with 2 Nikon G lenses and 7 Zeiss ZF lenses to a A7R in November 2013.

My backpack came down from 9 kg (20 pounds) to 5.5 kg. A lot depends on the lenses you use. 

What a relief traveling overseas that was!

I bought the Wasabi set from Amazon.  You get 2 batteries and a charger for $26.  I just ordered 2 more sets tonight for an upcoming camping trip.  So $75 I have 6 extra batteries plus the 2 that came with it.  

There were some complaints that because you need to carry so many batteries that it adds a lot of extra weight.  Well, these A7 batteries are tiny and much lighter than the 5DIII batteries I used to carry. so it's probably a wash.  

It is a wash. :)

don't even think about batteries as an issue, if you're not shooting more than 600 pictures every day or going into the wild for several weeks.

And these import batteries are worth the money.

For those that have switched from say D800's or 5D3's is there a noticeable weight difference between them and the A series?

Only mention weight lately because the back has been acting up a little in my last few gigs :o

Yes ! the weight is one of the reasons I switched from the 5dmk3 to the A7 series :)  I've now been using them for a year and picked up my old 5dmk3 last week... it really did feel like a brick in comparison. The A7 series are heavy enough give a bit of stability but considerably lighter and easier to handle than the 5dmk3 ever was (especially when combined with the 70-200 f2.8 IS lens :) )

Thanks for all the information guys.

One thing about the wasabi batteries that I would watch out for as I've had them for other model cameras. They tend to expand over time and i've had some get stuck in the cameras (had to use strong tape to get them out.

I've pretty much decided to get on the A train! :)

Hello All,  I'm new to the Sony line.  I have been in the Nikon Camp for years and doing video with Black Magic.  Purchased the A7RII for video and stills.  Excited to see what this seemingly well design compact platform can deliver.

Quick question on the file storage on the SD card.  Images are stored in the recognizable DCIM folder but video files are stored under the directory tree Private/M4Root/Clip.  Can someone tell me why that is and can the videos be stored directly into the DCIM folder.

Thanks...