Cruise ship lens recommendations

Headed to Bahamas next month with my bride and 3 kids. Currently have A7ii & Zeiss 55 1.8 & Nex6 w/ 16-50. Never being on a cruise ship or to Bahamas for that matter - hoping someone has some recommendations for what glass would be awesome for these destinations. Only AF Sony lenses. Not doing adapters or MF as of right now.

Was really thinking just stay light with little nex6 & kit lens - small and mostly pocketable but dont want to miss out on anything spectacular not having this experience before

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would actually take an RX100 or similar. The first version sells for around 350, v3 around 700 and the latest v4 for over 1100. Then, if its a photographic holiday   ;)   take the A7 and leave it in the room.

I've just bought the rx100iv and I think it is superb (for what it is). 4k video xavcs & slog, nice little zeiss lens and the fun you can have with the high frame rates! Fits into a pocket - invisible in tailored shorts! - so always available. Ok, iq is what you get from a 1" sensor but if this is a holiday then it really is an "essential". Stills probably no better/worse than other similar point and shoots but the video advantages & fun factor justify the cost.

The Sony FE 35 f2.8 is tiny and weight less than 5 oz.  Look how compact it is:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Take a whole bag of batteries and at least 2 chargers.

Take the A6000 and kit lens. While there may be some

shots out of your reach for lack of a longer lens, it

won't really matter. Most of your personal experience

is within reach of the kit lens. The long shots are

essentially postcard views. All the personal memories

are close to midrange.

Plus, you shouldn't be using any piece of gear that is

new to you while traveling and vacationing ... with the

possible exception of a UV filter if you don't already

have one.

Did I mention to bring a zillion batteries ? An more

than one charger ? Oh, I did ? Well did I mention it at

least 3 times ? BATTERIES ! CHARGERS ! Okaaay then :-)

I don't know what sort of AC outlets are used in the

Bahamas. Blue Nook sells the Wasabi 2-pack for $30. You

get 2 Batteries and a Charger that works from 110vac to

250vac, and includes the adapter for most non-USA plugs.

It also includes a DC cord for charging in a vehicle.

Get 2 or 3 Wasabi 2-packs ... and don't buy any lenses.

`

Get a polarizer filter for all your lenses. That'll help with rich blue skies and separating out the fluffy white clouds from the sky and sea. Great for shots during the brighter parts of the day. Can also act like a variable ND if you want shallow depth of field.

Regards

Peter

Please disregard most of the advice in the posts

Great comment - ask for advice, then disregard it :rolleyes:

I would suggest thinking how much you want photography to feature in your holiday and base decisions around that. Me personally (I shoot Canon at the moment but focal length is focal length) I have a 24-70 mounted firmly on the camera. Fairly wide but with a bit of zoom for framing. Don't think the Sony one is that hot though. Wide is better than longer focal lengths especially when inside and for scenery. +1 on the circular polariser. Skies, clouds pop and glare is taken off water and windows.

If budget is not a problem then how about going all out for the 2 new Batis primes 25mm and 85mm? With you 55mm you have a killer terrible trio there (and a hole in your wallet!) B)

I'd take a FE 16-35. Wideangles can be so much fun and open up perspecitives you don't usually see. But I guess that lens is a bit on the bigger side...

I second that. UWA zoom lenses are quite handy on cruises. In addition to off-ship shots, they are quite useful for taking shots of the ship's interior too. I always take an UWA zoom on cruises. Worth the investment!

Sent using my Samsung Galaxy Note 4