Strobing and flash A7ii

You have heard the story before - been a Nikon NPS for years and years. Now switching to Sony. I have shot Nikon for 26 years. But since my D3 started having "issues" knowing i needed to buy a new body - and a buddy also being NPS - having invested in the Sony Brand from Nikon - i invested in a Sony Nex-6 (& 16-50 kit lens) and A7ii w/ Zeiss 55 1.8

Im blown away with the technology Sony offers in this little (A7ii physical size compared to D3) body in relation to the images it produces! Has me now seriously thinking of totally switching to Sony all the way.

If it was not for strobing and remote flash of the Nikon id be there already!

Think dark - limited light of wedding receptions. With my Nikons i can set up Alien Bee's on opposite corners triggered from a set of Pocket Wizards or for a more mobil system 2 SB-800 strobes triggered by PW's commanded by a SB-910 - exposure is contrasty, color good, motion stopped as desired (bouquets, garters, romantic dances w/ slow shutter for movement, drunk uncle backflipping onto DJ's table (actually happened) the Nikon and strobes are there to capture it all with little effort.

At home - playing with Sony - testing out Pocket Wizards and the SB flashes - with Sony hotshoe can trigger - results are less then desirable!

Ive seen the Jason Lanier blogs and videos on useable flash systems and other photographers with their recommendations but im just not getting that great of results.

Im wondering if additional light is needed at all - such as if i invested in a A7S - is the high iso so significantly great that coupled with a fast lens would additional light be needed at all? Or maybe if so - a small Nissin 40i is all that would be needed for a little pop - and if so - how to make it work?

I love the Sony's - but all that is holding me back from going full Sony is this flash issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Flash example

I have the A6000 and the A7ii. I'm still hoping for in body flash triggering from Sony but in the meantime I use a Pixel King for Sony transmitter and 2 receivers with good results. The main drawback is that you'll need an adapter to mount the transmitter on your A7ii or NEX 6. 

Hi "Goats", Here's a link to the full gallery from that event: 

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10153054279903182.1073741965.607718181&type=1&l=3a4afeb87e

Let me know what you think. I have a lot of experience using flash with Sony cameras (A & E mount) for events, in studio, etc., so if you have any questions don't hesitate to ask.

• 3 months later...

What adapter can I use on a7rii

I have the A6000 and the A7ii. I'm still hoping for in body flash triggering from Sony but in the meantime I use a Pixel King for Sony transmitter and 2 receivers with good results. The main drawback is that you'll need an adapter to mount the transmitter on your A7ii or NEX 6. 

• 3 weeks later...