What to buy???

I have been a Nikon NPS for many years but with the latest offerings from Nikon and a buddy (also NPS) getting into Sony woth a a6000 & A7ii, and my own D3 starting to have issues, needing to buy a new body but not overly happy with offerings from Nikon, i decided to invest in the A7ii body and Zeiss 55 1.8.

What a change from lugging around 2 Pro Nikon bodies and glass to this little lightweight A7ii! But Wow - the images it produces are no where near lightweight! So now im looking further into glass with the Sony. I rent most offerings and considerations - try before I buy - but having some trouble here - this is where the great people there mY be able to assist with some worthy suggestions.

I have been on the fence for the following:

the new 90mm Macro 2.8 G,

Sony70-200 F4 (rented this lens a month ago for an equestrian event. Mounted it on a Nex-6 and was blown away with the number of dead sharp combined with perfect exposures) often with these shows i shoot my D3 w/ 70-200 f2.8 - i swear the little Nex-6 nails focus and exposure better then the D3!!!

Purpose of the lens is multifaceted. I shoot about 20 weddings a year (im very selective - i shoot because I want to not because I have to and im semi-retired so not into working myself to death anymore). I shoot 4-8 Equestrian shows a year and probably around 20 "other" events from portrait sessions to parties.

My thought process is the 70-200 f4 is a bit slow for a wedding but even my Nikkor 70-200 f2.8 is usually stopped down to f4 anyhow so f4 isnt out of the question.

90mm Macro 2.8 - gives a decent short tele range. Faster lens (2.8) a d has macro ability to boot plus if extra reach is needed i can always go into crop mode and have a 135 f2.8 (getting close to a zoom 200 f4 wide open).

I thought about the Samyang Rokinon 135 f2 ( and/or their 100 f2.8 Macro) but my eyes just are not sharp as they were back in the film days - even with focus peaking - nailing sharp focus im not confident in myself where as the Sony nails focus nearly every time.

Still holding onto a D700 for wide and strobing - havent been very successful with strobing with the Sony yet where the Nikon shines with little effort.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Another option is the combination I use on my A7ii, i.e., Sigma 70-200 F2.8 (Sony A-mount) with Sony LA-EA4 adapter. You get the extra stop plus this lens is just a notch below the highly-rated Sony FA 70-200 F2.8 for half the price. (See my other post for strobe solution)

Another option is the combination I use on my A7ii,

i.e., Sigma 70-200 F2.8 (Sony A-mount) with Sony

LA-EA4 adapter. You get the extra stop plus this

lens is just a notch below the highly-rated Sony FA

70-200 F2.8 for half the price. (See my other post

for strobe solution)

You get an extra 2/3 stop, not a whole stop.

The LA-E4 eats up the other 1/3 stop. Or you

could try the LA-E3 ... forget AF, gain back

the 1/3 stop.

Perznally, one thing I like about the LA-E2/4

is that IF you use all A-mount lenses, your

sensor is never exposed to outside air whilst

changing lenses.

OTOH, we find 4 fingers and a thumb :-)

`