FE 90mm macro AF is noisy

Hi all,

I have just received a FE 90mm macro, which I will use on my NEX-5N (In underwater housing, so mainly for underwater photography).

When testing the lens at home (so without the uw-housing) I clearly noticed noise from the autofocus drive, which did continue a bit after acquiring focus. The noise was quite loud, my wife made a remark about sitting on the on the end of the couch. I expected it to be much more silent.

Is this noise (continuing after locking focus) normal? Or is there something wrong with my copy of the lens. Focus is not very fast, but I assume that also has to do a lot with the older camera body. The noise is not from the stabilization, as switching this on/off does not affect it, whereas switching from AF to MF does. 

Thanks a lot,

Reindert Nijland

mine is also louder and has some noise after focus locked. I think it has something to do with the really small focusdifferences a macro lens hast to manage.

the af is also slower than with other lenses (eg. 55/1.8). but that's also has something to do with the macro-possiblities.

well, and after using it over 3 weeks now: it works perfect (with all that noise) and I never had a sharper lens. to avoid the slow AF you have to use all the AF-tools your camera and lense have and also think about the mechanic of AF. If you try to help your lens then the af is not an issue. but to make a spontanous snapshot (turn on and shoot) could end in a jelling "wait a sec!" sometimes. :)

body: A7

Thanks for the feedback so far. I have shot a clip with the macro lens attached and you can clearly hear the AF noise. Shot with OSS switched off, on a NEX-5N.

Doing this made me realise it probably is faulty, as this does not seem not an acceptable noise when you would like to film anything with this lens.. When taking stills there occasionally is also a more loud and lower buzz-noise.

See/listen to this clip to jugde yourself... You will notice the noise continues several seconds after the focus is locked, just like when taking stills after the focus is locked. 

https://www.youtube.com/embed/rGB7NNYDX6o

I have just read of your noise problem with the 90s Macro and made on the A6000 some AF-test (by candlelight).

1. My lens focuses very quickly - assuming the proper setting the focus limiter.

2. The AF is whisper quiet. Of course, the adjustment of the glas inside the lens is not completely silent.

3. My opinion: I agree with "timde": You should return the lens. Apparently there is a defect.

I'll made a video with my own. I hear the focus on the video. and I hear it also for 1-2sec after focusing. but it's quite silent. like a moskito 2 meters away.

but when I go to video mode, the AF tries to focus all the time (I'm not making a video and dont push any button (eg. release button)). it tries to focus all the time. and this trying is very slow and rather loud. but unforunately never that loud as in your video. but this automatic focus you only have in movie mode and on AF. so you shoudnt hear that while doing stills.

only the moskito 2 meters away. :)

Thanks Timde for your opinion and Reinhold and Seb for checking with your own camera's.

I will return the lens to the store I bought it from. It is a good thing I only really need it in September, so there is time to get a replacement.

Would you mind keeping us updated on what the response from the store was? Mine does sound similar when focussing and I'd like to know if that really is a defect of the lens...

A short update: I contacted both Sony customer services Netherlands (by email) and the photostore where I bought the lens. 

Sony keeps asking for additional info: What is the serial number? I reply with the serial number. New question: Can you send as a clip of the sound: I reply with a link to the youtube movie posted above. Now they write they cannot watch youtube, I have to send the clip using wetransfer....

Anyway, the photo store was much more collaborative and they have now send the lens back to Sony for me. When I receive an update of that I will post it here again. 

To close this story, I just received a call from the photo store who send my lens back to Sony. Sony have examined the lens and acknowledge the noise the lens was making is not normal. I will receive a replacement, which I can pick up tomorrow, 7 days after I returned the noisy lens to the store, which I think is an OK turnaround time. 

I have now picked up the replacement lens. I is still  a bit noisy, you can clearly hear the focusing, also on on movie (when there is no background noise), but less than the first one.

I guess such a big lens is just making more noise then a small one like the 30mm macro or the 55-210 zoom. 

The issues with it being to sharp are certainly a concern, guess nothing can be done about that apart from a applying some petroleum jelly to the front lens  :P

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone have a silent FE 90 macro? Mine is making a noise similar to rijland's. It is present whenever the lens is auto focusing. In movie mode it is always there. It reminds me of the noise my early generation Canon IS lenses used to make. But this is from the autofocus because it happens even with OSS off. None of my other Sony lenses make a noise like my FE 90 macro.

How fast AF speed with nex 5n is?

I'm planning to use with my nauticam housing also... 

but lens port offering from nauticam is AF only....

AF speed with 5N is slow, specially in the real macro range, and specially underwater (at -30m in the North Sea). Under water a bright focus light is essential to obtain good focus. Furthermore, due to the very heavy lens there is quite some movement happening of the body inside the nauticam housing (NA-NEX5 with 5N upgrade). The mounting-tray seems a perfect fit but is does allow the camera to tilt a bit. With the lens pointing down the rotating dial on the housing does not function, you need to tilt the camera backward to be able to change aperture etc.

If you have a bright focus light AF is fine for close up (~1:4 and less), for real 1:1 you will need to pre-focus, switch to manual and move the camera to obtain correct focus. 

Having said that, with some practice it is very usable and you get absolute stunningly sharp images! 

AF speed with 5N is slow, specially in the real macro range, and specially underwater (at -30m in the North Sea). Under water a bright focus light is essential to obtain good focus. Furthermore, due to the very heavy lens there is quite some movement happening of the body inside the nauticam housing (NA-NEX5 with 5N upgrade). The mounting-tray seems a perfect fit but is does allow the camera to tilt a bit. With the lens pointing down the rotating dial on the housing does not function, you need to tilt the camera backward to be able to change aperture etc.

If you have a bright focus light AF is fine for close up (~1:4 and less), for real 1:1 you will need to pre-focus, switch to manual and move the camera to obtain correct focus. 

Having said that, with some practice it is very usable and you get absolute stunningly sharp images! 

Thank you

Will consider having this lens soon.

BTW i'm using with my NA-NEX5 not upgraded to 5N yet.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!