First Shot From Zeiss Batis 85mm F1.8

You DON'T need to shoot at 1.8 for close up shots and risk having one or both eyes not in focus (like #1 & 2). That aside, everything looking really nice. I'm liking the color palette for #3.

just want to testing @F1.8,

for normal use , i will use F4 or F5.6 for shooting My children 

So cute :lol:

Those earlier picks...they remind me of the Portra film. Ah, there we go.

This is with the free Capture One Sony version? Not sure if it's usable compared to the full program.

It actually IS the full program (well the full Express version—the Pro Sony version is only $30USD and well worth it). The ONLY limitation is that you can just process Sony RAW files. JPGs from any camera will work but the RAW files will not be recognized/processed. I think it is a huge bonus to shooting Sony. Capture One is excellent and normally a bit pricey. 

It actually IS the full program (well the full Express version—the Pro Sony version is only $30USD and well worth it). The ONLY limitation is that you can just process Sony RAW files. JPGs from any camera will work but the RAW files will not be recognized/processed. I think it is a huge bonus to shooting Sony. Capture One is excellent and normally a bit pricey. 

It is very reasonable and cheap price for upgrading Pro ver, there is no execute not using Pro ver. haha

I tried the free version for a short time and realized it didn't have all the features plus I wasn't feeling like spending time learning a new program again. Went back to Adobe Camera Raw for now.

The start up pop-up for me says $50 for Sony Pro. However, I'll need to go the regular pro version route since I also use Nikon.

You DON'T need to shoot at 1.8 for close up shots and risk having one or both eyes not in focus (like #1 & 2). That aside, everything looking really nice. I'm liking the color palette for #3.

Some of us prefer it that way - I shoot mostly at 1.8 at this FL, and around 2-2.8 on the 135mm.  Some of the world's top portrait photos shoot even shallower DOF for portraits.  I like the results and as long as the closer eye is in focus it works very well for me.

Some of us prefer it that way - I shoot mostly at 1.8 at this FL, and around 2-2.8 on the 135mm.  Some of the world's top portrait photos shoot even shallower DOF for portraits.  I like the results and as long as the closer eye is in focus it works very well for me.

Mind as well have them close one eye or give them a eye patch. Way too shallow.

You're going to have to show me examples of these top photos because the only one I know right now is of the Afghan girl on Nat Geo cover and that wasn't super shallow.

@Wesley what do you care what aperture he shoots at? The images were nice, great examples of what to expect wide open. This should be a nice portrait lens for sure, can't wait to try it out. Thanks for the samples Samlee.

KB

I happen to personally agree with wesley, the best critic of your work is you, it has to be, if your not absolutely aggressively ruthless with assessment, discern & critique your own work, your falling prey to accepting second best from yourself, but this is just my own personal way of seeing art, whatever makes photographers happy makes me happy, and all those shots look beautiful to me.

i do like to see most of the whole face in focus in portraits, most of the time. In the first shot, it still works, but the mouth and nose/2nd eye are soft, but, as i said, whatever your happy with, just being subjectively honest.

i do realise you were testing @1.8 and that is good to do obviously to see what it gives at f/open etc.

Hell of a lens btw, thanx for posting, im sold now, ugggh, your going to kill my wallet.

This lens and a7r2 is probably going to = killer combo.

Haha thats great if you live in hong kong, but you can only order from the sony of your country though is that right?

I really want an 85 at the moment, been holding off though, im tossing between the m/f zeiss zf 85 1.4, 85 batis, or nikon 85 1.4 d, or sony 90 2.8 macro.

The batis is around 17-$1800au here, seems like too much really. Guess its best to wait.

I actually really like the bokers in the f4 shot, almost more so then the next one @1.8, although it can depend a lot on how close or far the oof areas are from behind the subject being isolated, sometimes if too close it can render a bit tight on any lens, as far as im aware.

Its great your posting here SLHK, hope you put some more images up in the gallery too, if it behooves you, it's a cool hangout, decent vibe, no dramas. ;)

I got sick of the peurile & banal competitive mentality at other photog forums. Dont seem to get so much of that crap here, mostly! ;)

Although watch out for Max, hahahaha-------- :lol:  :blink:  :P  :o  :D