XAVCS storage

I have a Sony DSCHX90V camera that records in the XAVCS format.  I understand that through PMH I can store XAVC S format onto my Mac computer but my computer will eventually run out of storage space.  I see that I can store store XAVC S format onto a  FMP-X10 Media Player for $700, but I’m trying send a full length (vacation) home video in the XAVC S format to my out of town grandchildren and the FMP-X10 doesn’t help with that. I don’t want my home movies on YouTube and Facebook won’t hold a full length movie. . Any other suggestions?   For example, are there any plans in the works for XAVC S videos to be able to be stored on  a DVD , Blu-Ray or otherwise ?  Thanks for your help. 

Hi,

As I understand it...

XAVCS is a production codec. It encodes the information from the sensor in such a way to maintain as much information as possible whilst being pragmatic about size of file, speed of transfer and convenience. Ideally all cameras would record raw files (see Blackmagicdesign.com) but this is not (yet) practical. By retaining as much information as possible you can post-process ("grade" and add effects)  the file more efficiently. You can work wonders with raw, slightly less with prores whilst AVCHD is at the other end of the scale. XAVCS is significantly better than AVCHD but not (at least not for a skilled colourist etc.) as capable as prores. But the important point is that this is about production.

But your question isn't really about production - it is about distribution.

You shouldn't be thinking in terms of anyone watching the files as they come out of the camera. They need editing. I use Final Cut X for this. The editing need not be complex - at the most basic it is good to remove the almost inevitable camera shake at the beginning and end of the clip. Once complete, you "share" (in FCX) the final product to whatever file type you want - try H.264 to reduce the file size (quick test Prores422=70MB, H.264=8.8MB). You don't need all the fine detailed information from the original file as you've now "locked" the product. Of course, you can code the file output for DVD (which isn't HD) or bluray ("Compressor" does all this - but it isn't trivial) but the easiest approach is to go for playback on the computer as a QT movie. That can be popped onto a USB stick or rugged hard drive and posted directly to the "audience".

If you want to distribute files to be watched on TV (and assuming the audience don't want to plug the computer into the TV with an HDMI cable or eg Apple TV box) then you will need to look into DVD or bluray. That, in my opinion, adds an unnecessary burden to the process!

I hope this starts to address the issue - happy to try to help further if required!

Tim

Hi Tim, 

The home movie video audience is in another city 1200 miles away. The USB stick (from a QT movie) or a DVD sounds like what I need. Or I guess I could just send them the memory stick.. Do I have to record movies in the AVCHD format to be able to create a Blu Ray Disc, or a DVD Video Disc? I would prefer  to output the movies to a compatible computer or TV as the original image quality.The HX90V book says that when the file format is set to XAVC S HD, movies are recorded in 1920 x 1080 (60p/50p) with a bit rate of approximately 50 Mbps.

I would like to record in the XAVC S HD format (with a record setting at 60p 50M), use Final Cut X or other software and produce a Blu Ray video on a Mac that can be played back on a different

compatible Mac or TV (in another city) in the original image quality. Can I keep the original image quality if the XAVC S HD and 60p 50M camera settings are converted to H.264?  The book on the DSC HX90V says that when the file format is set to record on XAVC S HD, movies are recorded in HD by converting them to MP4 format using the MPEG-4 AVC/H.264 codec, so maybe the camera has done the converting to the H.264 format.

Assuming that the camera or software  has made the conversion, to H.264,what is the work process to transfer the video to  a Blu Ray Disc?   

I have a Mac OS X 10.0.03 (Yosemite), Play Memories Home 2.3.01.05260, iMovies 10.0.08, and Final Cut Express 4.0.1. I am willing to add whatever makes the work process work.

Thank you so much for your time and expertise in helping me. 

Joe

Hi Joe,

You need to conceptually separate the recording format and the format you save the final product in! Yes, record in XAVCS - FCPx is happy to play with these files.

The 'product'... Really depends on what your family would prefer. Save as H.264 to a USB stick and pop that in the post? Try saving ("Share" in FC menu) as Prores (much larger file) and see if you can tell the difference! If they are happy to view on computer (or plug computer into TV using hdmi) then that's the easiest way of enabling others to watch your video (which is what it is all about). But FCP "share" also has a bluray option so I assume (I've never done it) that would be a bluray compatible file. You need a bluray writer. If you want a professional disc with menu options eye then you need a bluray editor - I confess total ignorance here as I go for the Plug-Mac-into-TV option.

Also... Look into Apple TV as I think this would enable TV playback from Mac via home wifi. But, again, not something I've done.

The important point - RECORD in highest possible quality (XAVCS in this case). Edit and SAVE (distribute) in the most convenient format. Keep the original out-of-camera files!

Try the USB in the post approach initially (it is so much easier!) and then explore bluray if/when requested? Let us know how it goes!

One final point - the "value" of what you are doing is in the story and shared experience. This is far more important than worrying too much about formats - keep it simple and enjoy!

Tim

Ps....

the final product doesn't need the same "quality" as the out of camera original. The purpose of much of this information is to enable colour grading, effects and other post processing. This is beyond what TVs are capable of when screening the product.

I'm not a cinema professional or colour scientist so that's overly simplified but notwithstanding that it is, I think, accurate!

Tim