Sony 90mm Macro VS Tamron 90mm Macro adapted

So someone and I am sorry I don’t remember who wanted to see the difference between the Sony 90mm Macro (that just showed up via UPS today) and the Tamron 90mm Macro. So I had some time this afternoon and I did some unscientific tests J

First off the size and if you look there is not all the much difference with the Sony being just a bit taller until of course you put on the LA-EA4 adapter. 

Spoiler, the Sony is much sharper! Yeah surprised me also and I am wondering if I need to go through a focus tuning process and pull out all that gear on the Tamron. You know that is one of the big PITA’s on the A-Mount is tuning the lenses! I uploaded a few shots to flickr and I did nothing to them except export them to JPG for the large full files and then I uploaded two crop versions of the same photos to show closer. The ones I uploaded are at f/8 as that seems to be most lenses sharpest spot however I took pictures from f/2.8 all the way up to f/14 and the Sony was better on all. Very sharp indeed. It was a little soft (softer and that relative) at f/2.8 but I wonder if I shook the tripod so I need to do that one again on the Sony.

So the Tamron right now goes for $749 and then the adapter cost if you want to have autofocus is not cheap so have you saved any money for worse results? Nah....

https://flic.kr/s/aHskfqqsw8

Ken

• 2 weeks later...