Off Camera flash for A7 using Phottix Odin

I am wanting to get into some off camera flash work using high speed sync with radio (not infrared) controllers.  This will require a controller/transmitter for the camera and a receiver for the flash.  Pocket Wizard cornered this market for years, but it looks like the best option now is Phottix Odin.  Phottix has a flash (Phottix Mitros +) with an Sony Multi Interface Shoe and a built in Odin transmitter.  But it looks like I will need to purchase a separate controller/transmitter if I take the Phottix Mitros + flash off camera.  I guess I could use the Sony HVL-F20M flash as an optical trigger, but I want radio.  Thoughts/suggestions from Forum.

Also, the major suppliers in US are back-ordered on the Phottix Mitros + flash.  Any rumors about what that is about?

I use the Phottix Odin trigger with my A77 and A900 (Minolta hotshoe) and it is excellent.  Phottix was expected to release the MarkII version of the Odin trigger in Q1 of this year, then in Q2 -- it has not hit the market yet, but hopefully soon.  I don't know how long after the Canonikon versions are released the Sony version(s) will go on sale -- with the original Odins it was, from memory, about 6 months later.

There is a compatibility chart for their various triggers on the Phottix Website (or maybe their Flickr site).

I have the original Odin set and i got it to work with my A7r through a Sony ADP-MAA adapter, just as they do with my Alpha DSLR's and SLT with all of my Sony/Minolta flashes ( even the small HVL-F20's work and the old non wireless Minolta 2500D ) and both with Minolta/Sony shoe or adapted for MIS through Sony ADP-AMA adapter.

However, if you use a non-chipped adapted lens on your body, the Odin is lost and fires flash always at the same power but you can't figure what power that is and you can't change it until you place a chipped lens on your body. I tried some Adaptall-2 Tamrons with a chip and that works. So you need to understand this system is reverse engineered and was designed to work with native equipment and may occasionally fail to perform when trying untested flashes or other accessory. One of the things this system needs to work properly is some form of camera/lens/flash communication that the Odin understands so some off-brand flashes may also not work.

I have no idea if this is still the case with the Mitros+ (either with the Minolta/Sony shoe or with the new MIS). In fact i am awaiting to see from someone who has it if this issue is solved or continues.

I just received my Mitro+ with MI shoe from Phottix Hong Kong last week for my new A7II. They have been backordered since January and only recently they are back in stock.   I paid US$400 plus $21 for shipping.   Processing took a week and shipping took 3 days through UPS. 

I prefer the Mitro+ over Sony HVL series flashes (I own the HVL-F58AM), having had trouble with the rotating flash head, and not to mention the 60AM is 1.5 times more expensive than the Mitro+.  I need the flash now so I cannot wait for Odin II, which is supposed to be backward compatible anyway.  So far, I have only run into some minor issues with mixing Sony flashes wirelessly. I also tested radio sync with a Mitro for Sony with Minolta shoe mounted an Odlin receiver for Sony and that worked as well.  WIth the A7 and the MI shoe, I will use the Mitro+ with MI shoe as the controller and it can also double as a regular flash with the native MI shoe mount.  For the off-camera flashes, they can be Mitro+ or Mitro/Sony flashes with Odin receivers.  Does anyone know which Sony/Minolta flashes are compatible with the Odin receivers?

Gary Fong is a big fan of both all Sony A format cameras as well as Phottix Odin triggers and receivers.  He has numerous Youtube videos on the subject like this one:

http://www.garyfong.com/tutorials/phottix-mitros-and-odin-sony-required-adapters-sony-adp-ama-sony-adp-maa

(Check his Youtube playlists for numerous videos on the off camera subject as well as great A7 tutorials.)

As for the Odin II, I also saw a post about that.  I'm guessing their demand is way outstripping supply and the factory is swamped trying to catch up.  So I guess I'll go ahead and get the Mitros + (when available) and wait for the Odin II for additional triggers.  The Mitros + can act as a trigger optically (infrared) to trigger my Canon 580 flash...line of sight only.

Of course, if you wait for the next available technology breakthrough, I'll never buy anything.  This is a rapidly evolving industry.

I just received my Mitro+ with MI shoe from Phottix Hong Kong last week for my new A7II. They have been backordered since January and only recently they are back in stock.   I paid US$400 plus $21 for shipping.   Processing took a week and shipping took 3 days through UPS. 

I prefer the Mitro+ over Sony HVL series flashes (I own the HVL-F58AM), having had trouble with the rotating flash head, and not to mention the 60AM is 1.5 times more expensive than the Mitro+.  I need the flash now so I cannot wait for Odin II, which is supposed to be backward compatible anyway.  So far, I have only run into some minor issues with mixing Sony flashes wirelessly. I also tested radio sync with a Mitro for Sony with Minolta shoe mounted an Odlin receiver for Sony and that worked as well.  WIth the A7 and the MI shoe, I will use the Mitro+ with MI shoe as the controller and it can also double as a regular flash with the native MI shoe mount.  For the off-camera flashes, they can be Mitro+ or Mitro/Sony flashes with Odin receivers.  Does anyone know which Sony/Minolta flashes are compatible with the Odin receivers?

Did you try it with manual adapted lenses ( Minolta Rokkor, Canon FD, Nikkor or other vintage lens on a manual adapter) ?

I mounted Mitro+ on the A7m2 and set it as Odin RX (Local off, Group A TTL).  I set up a slave Mitro connected to Odin receiver for Sony as Group A.  When I used the 24-70 F4 Zeiss lens, exposure was dead on and got the confirmation light on the Mitro+.  I was able to vary the lights on both flashes and got different lighting effects but with correct exposure.  When I switch it to a Rokkor 58mm F1.4 on a NEX-MD adapter, the slave flash just dumped its full power.  I also tested a Nikkor 90mm macro F3.5 with a NEX-Nikkor adapter with the same result/problem.  However, It may not be a Mitro/Phottix issue.  I tested the A7m2 with the Rokkor 58mm F1.4, F20M flash as the control in Sony wireless mode and have it control the Mitro+ in OP RX mode.  I took a picture at F1.4 and anther at F16.  I got the exposure confirmation light on the Mitro+ on both counts but the one taken at F16 was way under exposed.  Without the F stop (F number showed up as 0) on the lens in use, Sony's TTL may not have been working correctly.

I mounted Mitro+ on the A7m2 and set it as Odin RX (Local off, Group A TTL).  I set up a slave Mitro connected to Odin receiver for Sony as Group A.  When I used the 24-70 F4 Zeiss lens, exposure was dead on and got the confirmation light on the Mitro+.  I was able to vary the lights on both flashes and got different lighting effects but with correct exposure.  When I switch it to a Rokkor 58mm F1.4 on a NEX-MD adapter, the slave flash just dumped its full power.  I also tested a Nikkor 90mm macro F3.5 with a NEX-Nikkor adapter with the same result/problem.  However, It may not be a Mitro/Phottix issue.  I tested the A7m2 with the Rokkor 58mm F1.4, F20M flash as the control in Sony wireless mode and have it control the Mitro+ in OP RX mode.  I took a picture at F1.4 and anther at F16.  I got the exposure confirmation light on the Mitro+ on both counts but the one taken at F16 was way under exposed.  Without the F stop (F number showed up as 0) on the lens in use, Sony's TTL may not have been working correctly.

I feel (from limited personal experience granted) that many if not most features you see with native Sony lenses are not available with non-Sony lenses.  I started off with Canon L and Sigma Art lenses using a Metabones IV adapter for my new A7Mii in April.

I quickly saw that I was going to need Sony lenses to use things like face recognition, AF-C focus to use phase detection, and other features.  Yes you can do manual focus with the A7 using non-Sony lenses and even slow autofocus.  But I bought this camera primarily for the other features with the capability of using non-Sony lenses as an added bonus.  Once I get the 85MM Zeiss Batis in a few weeks, the Canon 24-70MM f2.8 L goes on eBay.  I will keep my Canon 70-200MM F4 L for the time being until Sony gets a suitable replacement.  Then I'll be all Sony lenses.

I have been waiting since March to buy Phottix Mitros+ flashes for my new A7II.  Whenever I contacted the Phottix people about their stock shortage, they said the flashes would be in stock soon.  (first it was end of March, then mid April, then end of May)  I stopped asking Phottix,  but I see BHphotovideo state mid August as the potential ship date.  Is Photix having technical issues - or is it just a supply chain issue? 

I would consider purchasing the flashes trhough Phottix in Hong Kong, although I can't seem to find that option.  Could someone post a direct link to the Phottix Hong kong store?

Thanks

http://www.phottixstore.com/

I purchased my Mitro+ with MI shoe from Phottix Hong Kong through the link above.  My purchase was in US$ and I used my credit card through my PayPal account without any currency exchange fees.

You can also email any questions to sales@phottix.com and they have been very responsive.  Ask for Matthew if you have any specifics about Sony Mitro lines.

Guest Peter Kelly

This seems to have dipped under everyone's radar:

http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/latest/photo-news/sony-fit-nissin-di700a-and-commander-air1-flash-kit-launched-55407

My experience of Nissin is very good, so if this works as well as I'd hope, then all our off-camera flash issues will be solved (and they are much cheaper than anything Sony will do!).

UPDATE ON THE PHOTTIX ODIN FOR SONY:

I was hoping to get the Phottix Odin for Sony/Minolta then use my Canon 580 as a slave.  The support guys at Phottix said no work!  All camera manufacturers have their own separate "language" between camera and flash.  So if you want to use TTL, high speed sync, flash exposure compensation, and other advanced features, you must use all Sony compatible components.  It could be the Canon 580 would would fire in slave mode using infrared.  But I want total control for the advanced features, so I'm selling the 580.  

The Phottix/Odin  is available for order in 5 days (back-ordered until Jul 15).  I'll also order the Phottix Mitros + for A7 with the multi interface shoe in about a month when it is available.  Samples to follow when I practice some and learn the system.  My flash skills are pretty weak right now. 

• 1 month later...

I have been waiting since March to buy Phottix Mitros+ flashes for my new A7II.  Whenever I contacted the Phottix people about their stock shortage, they said the flashes would be in stock soon.  (first it was end of March, then mid April, then end of May)  I stopped asking Phottix,  but I see BHphotovideo state mid August as the potential ship date.  Is Photix having technical issues - or is it just a supply chain issue? 

I would consider purchasing the flashes trhough Phottix in Hong Kong, although I can't seem to find that option.  Could someone post a direct link to the Phottix Hong kong store?

Thanks

http://www.phottixstore.com/

I purchased my Mitro+ with MI shoe from Phottix Hong Kong through the link above.  My purchase was in US$ and I used my credit card through my PayPal account without any currency exchange fees.

You can also email any questions to sales@phottix.com and they have been very responsive.  Ask for Matthew if you have any specifics about Sony Mitro lines.

I should have responded to this sooner...  I went on the Phottix Hong Kong site and purchased 3 Phottix Mitros+ flashes (Sony ISO shoe) - They arrived in Canada within the week, and I love them.  Thanks for the great tip.

I have Canons and Sonys .. what a pain.

Looking at the Nissin Di700A which comes in a kit with a transmitter, and flash. Think if I get 2 kits, one for Sony, one for Canon, then I can fire both flashes off either controller as it should be the controller that does the thinking

I have Canons and Sonys .. what a pain.

Looking at the Nissin Di700A which comes in a kit with a transmitter, and flash. Think if I get 2 kits, one for Sony, one for Canon, then I can fire both flashes off either controller as it should be the controller that does the thinking

You better check with tech support before you try that.  I don't think it will work unless you are doing all manual settings.  TTL will not work I don't think.

• 1 year later...

Phottix Mitros flashes won’t work with vintage and “unchipped” manual lenses. TTL and M modes do not work when mounted on the hot shoe, or when controlled by an Odin transmitter. A lot of you a7 shooters are going to fall into this category. I suggest you politely encourage Phottix to fix this problem.

There’s a horrible work-around by using them off-camera in M mode, and adjusting each flash at the flash (exactly not the reason you’d by into the Odin/Mitros+ system). Hopefully that helps get you out of a jam if you've discovered this for yourself.

Hey, does anyone known which wireless systems can shoot with unchipped lenses? ...I'm in the market again. :-/