Survey "What Sony Alpha Do You Have?"

Your Sony Alpha Camera  

630 members have voted

1. 1. What Sony Alpha Cameras do you use?

• Sony Alpha 7 / 7R / 7S
    • Sony Alpha 6000 / 5000 / 5100
    • Sony Alpha 3000
    • Sony NEX 7 / NEX 6 / NEX 5T
    • Other Sony NEX
    • Sony Alpha SLT
    • Sony Alpha DSLR
    • No Sony Alpha until now

This poll is closed to new votes

I currently have a Sony A9 and A7R2.   I started off using a Minolta 35mm film camera and Sony was a natural choice for me -- my first Sony digital camera was a MAV 5 using a 3 1/4 disk for storage! I progressed thru the Sony DSL cameras including the A99II, but gradually migrated to mirrorless as that seemed to be where the most action was from Sony.   For action and wildlife shots, the A9 mated to the FE 100-400 lens has the best AF I have ever used.   No looking back... 

After shooting Canon for over 30 years, I decided to try m4/3 with the Oly E-M1

Loved it so much that I sold all my Canon gear.

Money was burning a hole in my pocket so after trialling and being impressed with my mate's a7ii I decided to get an a7rii + 16-35, 24-70 & 70-200

I was running both the Oly and Sony systems.

When the chance of a used a6300 + SZ 16-70 came up I decided to sell the Oly so now I have a totally Sony setup - same battery and lens mount was the deciding factor.

Strange thing is, I use the a6300 + 16-70 most of the time.

Added an RX100iii for good measure.

For once in my photo life I am one happy content photographer :D

Almost afraid to answer this one, I'm still using an SLT57 and still delighted with it for most of what I do. Almost always fitted with a now fairly old Tamron 18-270 for 'walk about'.

Sadly don't get out enough any more to justify anything better (or smaller!).

We are curious (maybe you are too...)

What Sony Alpha Do You Have?

And leave a comment why you are using it...

Thx

Andreas

I currently use the A7R ii as my primary landscape camera, and I use the A6300 for wildlife, or other photo ops where light weight is important.  Frequently on the trail, I combine the A6300 with the Sony Zeiss 55mm f1.8, a great combo.

I'm primarily a street and documentary photographer, having taught both for the International Center for Photography in NYC, and workshops to Cuba since 2001. My camera of choice for more than 20 years was the Leica Rangefinder. When Leica made the move to digital I found the M8 and M9 lacking. Great cameras for collectors but of no value to someone who shoots fast and on the go. So, I began using Nikon DSLRs instead. Terrible street cameras but for a fraction of the price of a Leica. So, an expensive bad camera or an inexpensive bad camera? Hmm.

A student brought a Sony a7 to class. Interesting, but not what I was looking for. Several years later the same student went with me to Cuba using a Sony a7r. I asked to use it one afternoon and was impressed. When I returned the a7rII had been released. I checked it out at the local camera store, Focal Point in Dallas, Oregon, and bought one. 

I can say that not only is it a great street camera, but after 3 years I still love using it. I'm getting ready to purchase an A7II as a second body.

Attached is an image made in Cuba using the a7rII, handheld, no flash.

I shoot wildlife, birds and action sport... I was a Canon user for 19 years but switched over to SONY in September 2017...

I now own 2x A9's; 1 x A7riii; 1x A7iii... G Master Lenses: 24mm - 70mm f2.8; 70mm - 200mm f2.8 ; 10mm - 400mm f4.5-f5.6; 2x and 1.4x converters ; G 18mm - 105 f4.0 lens for video

Thx

Andreas

I have the a6500, but it is not listed! I love all this camera will do, though nobody seems to know about it but early reviewers.

I started with Topcon i the 60' with a lot of very good Topcon lenses til 1985, when I bought my first Minolta, then my second Minolta Dynax 5 in the 90' and ended the Minolta period with a 5D. 5 years later Sony a900, and then followed 5N, a6000, 5R, a7II, a6300 and now a7rIII. I have a lot of a-mount lenses like the 70-400mm GII and some e-mount like 1.8/24mm, 1.8/50mm, 4/16-70mm, 4/16-35mm, 4/24-105mm and 4.5-5.6/70-300mm. 

Thx

Andreas

I am using currently the Sony Alpha A72. Still have the A7, anybody want to buy It? I also have and old NEX F3, and a RX100.  Also, a Hx30v. I need to sell a couple of these, just haven't got round to it. Got the A72 for about $800 on EBay recently with only 300 actuations. Figured it was a good time with the A73 coming out. I have plenty of batteries so I like the A72 for it's stabilization. Using a lot of old primes with it, but got good results with the "kit" 28-70 on a recent Cuba trip.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/g3DhaoK020Ln4I3A3

Thx

Andreas

What about the A9?  Doesn't seem to appear on the list.

Thanks.

Gerri

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have a Sony A7 Mark III, I use the FFrame since I used 35mm film, I've always used Nikon, and I was waiting for their mirrorless FFrame, but what they presented I did not like it and so I took Sony because it seems the best mirrorless on the market

Edited by serdor

• 2 weeks later...

I have recently purchased my first Sony - A7iii and I am loving the experience, a real child of the A9 + A7Riii and with a battery that lasts for days  - all this in a body that is smaller and lighter than my Nikons.

I am really impressed and I ma looking forward to trying the camera for birds in flight, it has stiff competition in my Nikon D500 but I am looking forward to the challenge.

Sony have delivered a superb camera at a very good price!!

• 1 month later...
On 11/25/2014 at 5:23 PM, rolf1h said:
On 11/25/2014 at 4:41 PM, SAF Admin said:

Thx

Andreas

I have the Nex7 , A77 11 & the A7R11

i love how easy it is find things in the menus even when changing between cameras, it was never this easy when I had the full Nikon kit. Since getting the A7R2 I can’t put it down it is amazing the other two cams are gathering dust :(

hi by the way I have just found this forum ???

• 1 month later...

I bought  Sony Alpha SLT-A99 MK II Body, which I got at a discounted price from an online site called S World Electronics. And also got few lenses from there too. And I have been using it for a few months now and I mostly use it for Food Photography and Conceptual Shoots and I love it, where you get a dreamy effect from the pictures you click.  Well, if someone is looking for new Sony DSLR to purchase then one must visit there site.