Blossoming [A7II + 55mm in Japan]

Anders

Thought I'd share one of my favourite pics from a trip I took to Japan a few months ago:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

A7II + 55mm @ 1/200, f/1.8, 50ISO

(Click here or on the image for the flickr link)

Each year in Japan between late March and early April, there's a small window where the sakura (cherry blossoms) bloom. During our stay in the old capital of Kyoto, it was forecast to rain heavily not long after the blossoms began to bloom, which is unfortunate since even a modest rain is enough to strip the trees of their flowers. With this is mind, many locals hoping have a glamourous engagement and wedding portrait in front of the blossoms rushed to the many temples around town on the Saturday before the storm. As a result, there were beautifully dressed men and women everywhere -- it was quite the sight!

Of all the pictures I took though, this one of a seemingly reflective young woman on a bench outside the Kiyomizu-dera temple was my favourtie. In actual, she was just looking through her handbag for a mirror between posing for a hired photographer, who incidentally, was also shooting on an A7 series camera and the 55mm! I felt a little guilty snapping this over the photographer's shoulder whilst she was reviewing her shots, but I daresay it was worth it!

---

My Flickr: http://flickr.com/photos/anderswotzke

My Instagram: http://instagram.com/anderswotzke/

• 2 weeks later...

very very nice

Wonderful lens, awkward focal length but you nailed it. Love it. I miss Japan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you both!

Japan is an easy place to miss, to be sure.  For the record, I've never found the 55 to be awkward. It's such a light, safe-bet of a lens and was perfect whilst travelleling for these kind of behind-the-shoulder, yet under the radar compositions.